JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Raccoons wash their food, so I give them props for that.
:p
Here's one trying to wash cotton candy someone gave it:

By the way, have you considered contacting Animal Control, if your county has them? A lifelong friend of mine is a county trapper (Animal Control), and one of his jobs is getting rid of raccoons that are bothering people in town. These guys know their business; they do it all the time.

Here's one trying to wash cotton candy someone gave it:

By the way, have you considered contacting Animal Control, if your county has them? A lifelong friend of mine is a county trapper (Animal Control), and one of his jobs is getting rid of raccoons that are bothering people in town. These guys know their business; they do it all the time.

LMAO :s0140:

A few years ago I thought my woodshed housed a mom & 2 juveniles. The local trapper hauled 7 out eventually. It was a very educational process. Combo of live trap & some other tricks. He was happy to trade for the pelts etc.

If you trap and dispatch, don't clean the area. Next in line will come looking. I've heard someone get a dad that was 40lbs+, momma a good 35lbs, 3 good sized juveniles, then the babies. New one every other day for over two weeks.
2-3 Super Colibri .22 are nice. CBee's seem more effective. So I've heard....

My two cents on effectiveness of subsonic rounds fwiw. All this is from personal experience shooting many, many critters including raccoons (unless noted in brackets). FPS #s are approximate from memory.

Most effective: American eagle suppressor 45 grain 970 FPS, cci suppressor 45 grain 970 FPS

Second most: aguila sniper 60 grain, cci standard velocity 1070 FPS 40 gr. [I assume cci 45grain semi-auto quiet, might be in Teir 1, I have never used]

Third: cci quiet 735fps, cci quiet segmented 735fps, highly variable

Fourth: cci cb rounds of any type, 710 fps? Highly variable

Do not use!: aguila colibri 420 FPS?

Longer barrels are quieter. The longer the better for noise reduction. Shooting in the rain with wet or snow on ground is also quieter. I wouldn't bother with airguns. As U increase power, noise is as loud as or can be much louder than 22lr suppressed with long barrel (unless sound reduction devices r used).

Last Edited:
Folks in Japan thought they were 'cute' and imported them, now they have regrets. A 'coon is a nasty critter in or out of a 'trap'. And the feces has some nasty parasites. Did I mention they like to defecate on 'high' places (rooftops, wood piles etc.) to mark their territory? They are very adept at getting into structures. Trap and release is NOT a good idea! Permanent removal is the best solution!

First, they are edible. Yup! So if you harvest one, eat that rascal. Either as revenge or to deal with evidence. Lived on Anna Marie Island, Florida as a teen. Problem with the racoons getting the trash and my having to clean up nasty mess. Older brother had bright idea to shoot one with a bow and arrow. Plan was I'd open back door and turn on light at same time. He had bow at full draw, as planned. Door opened, light on, arrow launched. Arrow stuck the fury rascal in the body. Immediately it went in to rage mode and charged the open door. I was across the opening so couldn't easily reach. Big brave bow hunting brother ran away from snarling and wounded racoon. The racoon was halfway in the hose when I closed the door. Only thing that kept it from coming clear in the was the arrow. It was bleeding on the floor, crapping outside on the porch and raising hell next to my feet. It relaxed for a moment and fell back enough for me to close the door. Next day I had to clean the floor, paint the door, clean the porch and dispose of a bloated full grown racoon.

We used to get mobbed by coons. Got a Gamo Whisper. It really cracked with light .177 pellets so I got on line and found airgundepot.com. Ordered some 11 gr pellets. Very quiet. Neighbors will not hear this. One shot kills on coons. Took 5 of 'em out of a Ponderosa one night. They sure hit the ground hard. Got # 6 running away and rolled it. I had a Nebo ProTech green light attached to it. Nice clear sight picture. Got 'er done. Live trapped a couple too. Tuna can wired to the bottom of the trap with different baits. When you have a coon infestation they come to almost anything. Tuna. Bacon. Burger. Took a few up in the woods and released. They sure can run fast. It was always a hoot watchin them go! Good luck!

One day no one will hear from this guy and his half eaten body will be discovered.

Or at least the basis of a good 'animal' horror movie!

I hope he is a long way away from any neighbors! That's way worse than the sickos that feed squirrels here in the city.!

Last Edited:
That's way worse than the sickos that feed squirrels here in the city.!
Many years ago I was having dinner at the lounge in Eagle Crest in Redmond and later that evening the cook came out with the unused rolls and threw them on the deck overlooking the Deschutes river to draw the 'herd' of racoons that came in for the amusement of the guests.

I asked if I could go get a .22 and shoot them and that did not go over well at all!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top