JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't thought about buying a gun for several years and lately have began wanting to buy a gun or two. I am 71 and have found out laws have totally changed lately. From what I understand in order to buy a gun these days you have to have a conceled weapons permit. That seems silly for a person who only wants to legally buy a gun and not carry one for protection. I only plan on going out and plinking. Yes places to go out and shoot seem to be shrinking too. Guess it doesn't pay to quit paying attention to what our legislaters are up too. I thought about a collectors relics and curios license but the replica black powder arms I am interested in isn't even on the list of acceptable and legal weapons. Am I wrong about having to have the concealed permit to buy a firearm? Sheesh! What happened to the good old days when you could just walk in and pick out a gun and pick it up three days later? Or a rifle or shotgun the same day? I'm not liking what lawmakers have done to our rights.
Paul:huh:

I haven't thought about buying a gun for several years and lately have began wanting to buy a gun or two. I am 71 and have found out laws have totally changed lately. From what I understand in order to buy a gun these days you have to have a conceled weapons permit. That seems silly for a person who only wants to legally buy a gun and not carry one for protection. I only plan on going out and plinking. Yes places to go out and shoot seem to be shrinking too. Guess it doesn't pay to quit paying attention to what our legislaters are up too. I thought about a collectors relics and curios license but the replica black powder arms I am interested in isn't even on the list of acceptable and legal weapons. Am I wrong about having to have the concealed permit to buy a firearm? Sheesh! What happened to the good old days when you could just walk in and pick out a gun and pick it up three days later? Or a rifle or shotgun the same day? I'm not liking what lawmakers have done to our rights.
Paul:huh:

You don't need a concealed weapons permit to buy a gun in Washington.

I'm chuckling here. The question on this site would be: "Does anybody here NOT have a concealed weapon permit" :>)

No CC permit required to own. In Oregon there's no waiting period either. Just pay for weapon and the Federal check and fingerprint process for long or short weapons.

Guess it must be a rule of Cabela's. guess I'll just steer clear of them from now on.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Paul

Are you saying that Cabelas won't sell to anybody that doesn't have
a concealed permit?:confused:

And that policy applies to a black powder gun?

you don't need a permit in Washington to buy a gun. If you do have a concealed weapons permit it CAN do away with the waiting period of five days however. Before I got a CPL those five days were always the longest I'd ever had.

Last Edited:
you don't need a permit in Washington to buy a gun. If you do have a concealed weapons permit it CAN do away with the waiting period of five days however. Before I got a CPL those five days were always the longest I'd ever had.

+1 ... that's exactly right for handguns, no waiting for long guns. If you are buying from a cabela's in central wa....... the closest i know of is in idaho(post falls). that would be an out of state purchase which would require an ffl transfer, regardless of whether or not you have a cpl or not.

get a cpl if you live in wa. its 60 bucks and then you have the option.... and you don't have to wait

$60 buck can almost buy a gun?? :) I am just cheap I guess seems like back in the 70's I only paid $25 for a conceal permit. I was on the city police reserve force back then but had to get it at the local sheriffs office. It's awful what the laws have taken from us. guess I'm an old timer who has been away too long.
Paul

$60 buck can almost buy a gun?? :) I am just cheap I guess seems like back in the 70's I only paid $25 for a conceal permit. I was on the city police reserve force back then but had to get it at the local sheriffs office. It's awful what the laws have taken from us. guess I'm an old timer who has been away too long.
Paul

$25 would buy you a lot more in the 70's than $60 will buy you in 2010. :s0155:

I'm still a little confused (my normal state).

OP said what he wanted to buy was a "replica black powder arm".

Around here that's not even a gun. Cash-n-carry, no 4473, no background
check. AFAIK I can still mail order a BP revolver from Cabelas.

Is Washington different? And if indeed it was the Boise Cabelas where
the OP was shopping, is Idaho different?

Lacey Cabela's is the store I was talking too, but it was the 1-800 number they asked me tocall forfurther shipping info for Washington state. They spent a fewminutes looking up the exact law and said no they could only ship Black Powder weapons to FFL dealers. And if I bought in the store they told me I would need a Concealed permit to buy any gun including black powder.
Paul

Lacey Cabela's is the store I was talking too, but it was the 1-800 number they asked me tocall forfurther shipping info for Washington state. They spent a fewminutes looking up the exact law and said no they could only ship Black Powder weapons to FFL dealers. And if I bought in the store they told me I would need a Concealed permit to buy any gun including black powder.
Paul

That person told you the wrong info and has their head stuck somewhere and take a guess where. You do not need a ccl to purchase a firearm period....... You do need a ccl to carry a loaded gun though and with a ccl you do not have to wait for handguns just pay and carry like long guns. Just go pick what you want and pay. Good luck.

Wish these dealers would get their act together. It is disgusting. all I know is he wouldn't ship a black powder firearm to me except through a FFL and I couldn't buy it at the store without a conceal permit. What jerks!
Paul

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads