JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do understand Constitutional Carry within one's borders. I live in Texas now and also hold a Texas concealed permit, plus a Utah one also.

Question is: If I only had a Constitutional Carry "permit" (no paper permit exists), can I carry in another state? Without a piece of paper how can one show that one is legal?

I find it all pretty ambiguous, hence that is why I chose to get/keep my state carry permit.

Maybe someone smarter than me can answer line 2 for me.

Not unless that state also has constitutional carry or reciprocal agreement to honor either your TX or UT permits. You are bound by the state laws of the state you are in, not what may or may not be legal in your state of residence.

This may be helpful... reciprocity maps.

I do understand that crossing a state line negates your home state's CC rights, but figured that some may believe that they can go anywhere and carry because thats what they are used to. With a concealed carry permit and reciprocity you can. And as you stated, you must understand and obey the laws of the state you are visiting or traveling through.

Some states like Arizona are constitutional carry and dstill issue regular permits so its residents can carry in other states.

As it stands you can only carry in another constitutional carry state as you do not have a carry permit.

I do understand that crossing a state line negates your home state's CC rights, but figured that some may believe that they can go anywhere and carry because thats what they are used to. With a concealed carry permit and reciprocity you can. And as you stated, you must understand and obey the laws of the state you are visiting or traveling through.
Yup. Travelling "through" a state has it's own set of federal interstate travel laws that folks should be aware of too. All part of being a responsible gun owner.

In that case, only the state of orgin and state of destination laws apply, even if you are passing through a state where what you're packin may not be "legal". IE., *cough*Kali*cough*federation*cough*

My original post was to try and warn people that there are limits to their Constitutional Carry and that they need to be aware of them. I will continue to hold my concealed carry permits until 2A becomes the law of the land everywhere. Plus, having cc permits can show some measure of stability and care should the lawyers get involved. Hopefully!

Only if that state has constitutional carry, and allows non-residents to carry under their CC law. Some states are constitutional carry / permitless carry for residents only. Check applicable laws for every state.

You said you have a Texas CHL - lots of states have reciprocity with us. I havent' bothered - yet - to go get mine, as I just carry via the permitless carry law. There's only a handful of places you can *legally* carry with a permit that you can't without it, the biggest benefit aside from reciprocity with other states when travelling, is that here in TX your LTC serves as your NICS check, so you don't have to wait around for a BGC to clear after filling our your 4473. I've bought a couple guns from dealers here, but I've been enjoying the private party face to face transactions more.

Some states like Arizona are constitutional carry and dstill issue regular permits so its residents can carry in other states.

As it stands you can only carry in another constitutional carry state as you do not have a carry permit.
Actually having a CCW card in Arizona entitles the bearer to some rights not afforded under Constitutional carry.

For example, having a CCW card allows one to be in a school zone with a gun, as long as it is locked inside a glove box or separate compartment in a vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top