JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm asking because I have a Marlin 7000 varmint rifle I use for plinking and potting gophers/moles/squirrels (where legal) I rarely shoot at anything beyond 100yds- typically much closer, like around 50 yds. Currently I have a cheap 3x9 scope on it, but I don't really like it much and think I might like the additional eye relief of something like a Vortex Strikefire or similar red dot instead. I don't want to spend more than $200. For those not familiar with a Marlin 7000 (now discontinued) it's similar to a 795, except it has no open sights and a heavy bull barrel/target barrel. I like the rifle- much more than my wife's 10/22, and just wanted some opinions from people that have used red dots for this type of application or if you guys think I'd be better served with a traditional scope. Anyone?

I'm asking because I have a Marlin 7000 varmint rifle I use for plinking and potting gophers/moles/squirrels (where legal) I rarely shoot at anything beyond 100yds- typically much closer, like around 50 yds. Currently I have a cheap 3x9 scope on it, but I don't really like it much and think I might like the additional eye relief of something like a Vortex Strikefire or similar red dot instead. I don't want to spend more than $200. For those not familiar with a Marlin 7000 (now discontinued) it's similar to a 795, except it has no open sights and a heavy bull barrel/target barrel. I like the rifle- much more than my wife's 10/22, and just wanted some opinions from people that have used red dots for this type of application or if you guys think I'd be better served with a traditional scope. Anyone?

My boy has an HK 522 with a red dot scope an it and it works great. I started out with a BSA and after I saw he really used it I got him a trij red dot. It works great for him and his plinking.

Last Edited:
yup and they work great.Mine is set for fifty yards actually.Just don't forget to turn it off when not in use.LOL.and carry extra batteries out there with ya.

My boy has an HK 522 with a red dot scope an it and it works great. I started out with a BSA and after I saw he really used it I got him a trij red dot. It works great for him and his plinking.

Which model scopes are you using if you don't mind my asking? More specifically how big is the dot? I figured setting it at 50 yds would be pretty well perfect since it should reach ok to 100...

I had a red-dot and a laser on mine for several years and switched the red-dot to a cheap 2-7 scope because of my eyesight going bad. At short range and moving critters I found that I used the laser most of the time. At longer range the red-dot wouldn't show me details like small branches that might be in the way.

If I didn't have a laser on it I might have stayed with the red-dot. Also if my eyesight was better.

When you are looking at red-dots you might make sure that you can mount a 2x magnifier on it. Or a lighted recital low powered scope. Also make sure the dot is small and well defined instead of the large pop-art shaped blob that I was looking through.

That's what has attracted me to the Vortex Strikefire- it can use a screw-on 2x magnifier and has a 4 MOA dot. Hopefully I can find one locally to look through to see how big a dot that is since there doesn't seem to be any consistency from manufacturer to manufacturer. I think it was primarily designed for AR's but should work well for my purposes...

I just mounted a BSA "Stealth Tactical" red dot/laser/light on my standard 10/22.I have a 4-16 on my heavy barrel.
But the little 10 22 will be the grouse quick action rifle. I might even embarrass an intruder by using it as my HDW,lol
I think the red dot is great for close in but at any distance,I can't see good enough without a scope.Heck the dot will cover a grouse out a ways.

Stealth Tactical Iluminated Sight with Laser and Light | BSA Optics

I think the red dot is great for close in but at any distance,I can't see good enough without a scope.Heck the dot will cover a grouse out a ways.

Thats what kept me away from a red dot on my 10/22. A 4 mil dot will cover up some smaller varmints at 50+ yds. But then again I built the 10/22 for accuracy, not fast action on moving targets. Red dots rule for that. My ARs wear eotechs. With the 10/22 it's more of a 'headshot on little critters' gun and seeing if I can put all the rounds in one hole on paper targets.
If you decide you want a red dot and stay under $200 I'd recommend the primary arms micro dot. I put one on my AK and it's holding up fine. It's basically an $80 clone of the aimpoint micro. It may give up some ruggedness to the aimpoint but hopefully you won't be taking incoming fire or dropping your .22 out of helicopters.
Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 7) - MD-07 - Primary Arms

Thats what kept me away from a red dot on my 10/22. A 4 mil dot will cover up some smaller varmints at 50+ yds. But then again I built the 10/22 for accuracy, not fast action on moving targets. Red dots rule for that. My ARs wear eotechs. With the 10/22 it's more of a 'headshot on little critters' gun and seeing if I can put all the rounds in one hole on paper targets.
If you decide you want a red dot and stay under $200 I'd recommend the primary arms micro dot. I put one on my AK and it's holding up fine. It's basically an $80 clone of the aimpoint micro. It may give up some ruggedness to the aimpoint but hopefully you won't be taking incoming fire or dropping your .22 out of helicopters.
Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 7) - MD-07 - Primary Arms

+1 to the P/A gen7....I could not kill the one I had, lived four years on my PR gun:

AKPR.png

I've had a red dot on my 10/22 since '98, has worked so well I've never been temped to replace it.

Which model scopes are you using if you don't mind my asking? More specifically how big is the dot? I figured setting it at 50 yds would be pretty well perfect since it should reach ok to 100...
I believe it has a 3 mil dot,it has ten settings of intensity for the dot also.You could set it for 100 yards but I put it for 50 meters and I plink with it and I can guesstimate anything beyond that.I have scopes for anything beyond that.I like the dot as all I have to do is point it.

I have a Bushnell Trophy on my 10/22 and it is one of the best upgrades on it. Because of the ease of targeting it is usually the most popular when we get a group together. The 50 round clips help to.
Plenty for head shots on small game up to 75 yards. Pop cans never stand a chance.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top