JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's pretty but is it something that would sit on the shelf or see use in the field? Also, that drop point looks like it's waiting to either break off or poke through a good sheath.

There's a beauty in those clean lines. Gonna' buy it?

Not to encourage you or anything, but I just bought a Black Jack model 7 a couple of hours ago. :cool:

I like it:

s-l1600.jpg

D-2 is a excellent steel for knives.
( I know opinions vary , but I like it , so there...:p:D )
The Knife in the OP is a good looker for sure...and I agree with the comment about it needing a quality scabbard.

Just how long of a blade does it have...I prefer a 5 inch or shorter blade for field work...
( Again just my likes here...others will differ )
Andy

I'll confess, I bought it. (It was $82.99 shipped to my door). It will be delivered by April 9th from Bloomington , Indiana. The sheath for these is strong. Yes, I would wear it in the field. It is 15.5" long with a 10" blade. It is a later version of the classic "Bowie" knife. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it because the D2 steel is strong enough to take it. If you look at the ricasso you'll see that it is strong enough for the field, but will clean up nicely after cleaning a deer.

It is either this or my Ontario SP-10 Marine Raider Bowie. You can baton with that until the cows come home. Either of these knives will "get it done". Believe it, or not, the PS-10 knives of the past three years have been made from 1075 Carbon Steel Hardened to 57-59 HRc to prevent "chipping". (Ontario has had to replace some of their SP-10 knives due to this. 1075 is tougher and the edge will "roll" instead of chipping).

Last Edited:
The handle is a work of art. The blade looks like it would make it "blade heavy" and possibly harder to manage with the smaller/shorter handle. I agree, it doesn look very useful, just pretty.

The D2 tool steel is an "air hardened" alloy that has been in use since World War Two. D2 is used to machine and stamp other steel types and parts. Properly tempered, this allows it to cut and chop bone with ease. The final hardness runs from 59-60 Hrc. You don't want to abuse it (it isn't as "forgiving" as either 440C or 1095) but it sure holds a mean edge. (Look it up on Wikipedia under blade steels for more information).

Last Edited:
Love the lines. Love the size, understand the difficulties that may bring along.

Will post photo tomorrow of one of my very favorites from smith in the Carolinas a couple decades back.

I cogitated, ruminated, and studied long and hard before I laid down my scratch for the Bowie. The weight is biased toward the ricasso rather than the clip. This makes it easier to slice and stab. The configuration is an old one (circa 1860-1890). I worked then and it should continue to function even better when modern metallurgy is applied.

It may not be for everyone, but I like it.

Last Edited:
so now yer retired & running the streets???

I meant to write: The concept worked during the 1860-1890 era. With the extremely hard D2 steel 59-60 Hrc the ability of the blade to hold an edge on this knife should be excellent. It may not be as "tough" as some of the slightly "softer" steels, but it should work rather well.

Since you asked, I am semi-retired but eventually plan on returning to work in radio.

Last Edited:
I already have two specimens of the USN Mark 1 Deck Knife.
  1. a recent Colonial USN Mark 1 Deck Knife (1070 Carbon Steel)
  2. a new Kabar USN Mark 1 (1095 Chromium-Vanadium Steel)
I have many knives but haven't had the opportunity to buy a decent Bowie Knife. I have the Ontario SP-10 Marine Raider Bowie, now I have the Unique Handmade Custom Bowie coming.

I have it covered in more ways that you could care to count.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads