JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was hit with a two week delay on a new glock... I waited out the duration and on the last day of the delay, called the dealer Good Guys Guns in Medford, OR. Having never bought a firearm in Oregon I was curious how the system worked. I asked if the delay would be extended automatically or what the deal was. The employee told me (rudely) that they would get a response back sometime. It is now past the delay date and no word from the dealer...

I read on OFF's website that one should find a dealer willing to release the firearm after 3 days. I'd like to buy privately, but I haven't found anything that I want that way yet.

So does anyone know a dealer in Oregon that is willing to transfer a firearm after 3 days? It's hard to believe how anti-gun dealers seem to be.

It's more a case of they're just covering their butts. They don't want to do the transfer then have it denied and have to deal with the return. I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that once they transfer a new firearm, it can no longer be sold as new. I could be wrong on that though.

elsie

Just a thought.... Maybe OFF might have a few phone numbers of helpful FFL's...

Also, there is a sub forum on here, about how you view specific FFL's I know two, that I Would NEVER purchase a single item from them, not a piece of chewing gum out of a machine.... Yep, I am that bitter of both of them!

EDITED TO ADD:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/forums/firearm-related-business-discussion-reviews.33/

On the other Hand, I think I was the first member here to Post about how great a service Oak Grove Guns in Eugene are!!!! They Are Family Owned, and run... I do not think they have, ~Non Family Employees~ I liked purchase number one, and the Work of Number two, (gunsmithing) ... And Purchase Number Three!!!! I have run low on fun money recently... So they have not sold me Purchase Number Five... Err Four, three kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't!!!

But, I spent a half hour on their phone time, Planning to purchase, and they were not a bit impatient with my old fogie brain, Err, Foggy Brain!!!

philip :D

I deal with Good Guys Guns and have never had any of the people there be rude but maybe of matter of fact. They can tend to be busy at times also.

Didn't the dealer give you a number to call? When Wifey was delayed on her first gun purchase she was given a phone number for the OSP. She was not given a time frame. How's the shop to know how long it will take OSP to clear a person? She called and left a message and they returned the call and gave her what info they could. The gun shop, here in Portland, called back at thirty days, she picked up the gun and has had no issues since. Call the OSP, as was said above, the shop isn't going to risk their business, and maybe they just SEEMED rude because you showed some tude, they have no idea what your past is.

Call OSP, sit back and relax, once you get cleared you'll have no probs. One thing to think about though, if you keep getting delays because of a name similar to a lot of others you should list you SS# to help smooth the process.

Mike

Keep in mind that it is not the gun shop's fault that OSP can not clear YOUR background check in a timely manner. Trust me the gun shop wants to sell you the gun, but they need clearance from OSP first. I don't blame them one bit for not releasing a gun after 3 days on delay, too many laws and lawyers to stick your neck out like that for someone you don't know....

No dealer I know, including myself, will release a gun until the background check is cleared. I don't know all of them, but enough to know that it would be a rarity to find one that would, at least in the circles I travel in. It has more to do with liability than it does finances for me.

As for the delay. Yes, its a pain. I own a shop, have an FFL, and they've delayed me. It just happens. When it does, as dealers, we are given nothing for information. We are given a status of delayed and a date that you are delayed until. Sometimes it clears, sometimes quicker than others, but I've also seen them extend delays running into months. As the purchaser, you can call the delay/denial hotline, but I'm not sure how much good it will do.

Sorry you had the issues, I hope they work out smoother for you in the future. If it continues to be an issue, request a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN). It will distinguish you from those you are being confused for and make your process easier. Good luck!

I was hit with a two week delay on a new glock...
I waited out the duration and on the last day of the delay, called the dealer Good Guys Guns in Medford, OR. Having never bought a firearm in Oregon I was curious how the system worked.
I asked if the delay would be extended automatically or what the deal was.
The employee told me (rudely) that they would get a response back sometime.
It is now past the delay date and no word from the dealer...
upload_2015-3-17_11-3-40.png
APPENDIX E
OREGON STATE POLICE
DENIED FIREARM SALE INFORMATIONAL HANDOUT
To protect your right to privacy, no details or results of the background check have been
or will be discussed with the dealer or salesperson. The determination to deny an
individual's purchase of a firearm is based on state and federal laws.
To inquire with the Oregon State Police about this denied sale or to challenge the
decision, please contact us at: 503-373-1808.
This number is a message line that is monitored throughout each day.
Please clearly state and spell your name and telephone number, along with a message explaining
what information you are requesting.
We will return your call as soon as possible.
We will attempt to have the complete information prior to returning your call.
Our business hours are 8:00am to 10:00pm daily, except Thanksgiving and Christma

Call the number all you want, they will not return your calls. My brother just went through this and they never returned any of his calls. But then again after 3 days they can sell you the gun. This is what he was told when he went back to pick up his rifle. They never even called the store back to say yes or no. The store even told him that they have had to turn cops down. No reason given.

They gave him the gun, but also said if anything turned up the cops would come knocking on his front door.
I'll have to write down those numbers for future use if needed. Thanks

I didn't mean for it to be a bad review of Good Guys Guns. I haven't had any issues going in there and buying things from them. It was just the one time I called them whoever answered seemed a little rude.

I was just curious about any dealers that are known to transfer after 3 days. I can't imagine there would be many (if any).

I'd like to see some statistics on how many background checks delayed past 3 days result in a denial... Seems like a crime to me when people are stuck in limbo for months.

Didn't the dealer give you a number to call? When Wifey was delayed on her first gun purchase she was given a phone number for the OSP. She was not given a time frame. How's the shop to know how long it will take OSP to clear a person? She called and left a message and they returned the call and gave her what info they could. The gun shop, here in Portland, called back at thirty days, she picked up the gun and has had no issues since. Call the OSP, as was said above, the shop isn't going to risk their business, and maybe they just SEEMED rude because you showed some tude, they have no idea what your past is.

Call OSP, sit back and relax, once you get cleared you'll have no probs. One thing to think about though, if you keep getting delays because of a name similar to a lot of others you should list you SS# to help smooth the process.

Mike

I realize that it's not the gun dealers fault. I didn't even bother asking after 3 days because if they wanted to release it, they would have. On the last day of the delay though I called just to ask what would happen if no word came back from OSP (this being my first purchase attempt in Oregon). They must get asked that stuff a lot, which is why he acted like I was being bothersome.

As for OSP... The dealer told me emailing would probably be more effective, but OSP just replied with a generic email containing a number to an automated phone line. Call me crazy, but I think I should be able to know the reason for why I was delayed. I would be fine with OSP telling the FFL my life story as long as I knew what the problem was.

"Instant check":s0140::s0140:
:s0140::s0140:

Exactly.

My suspicion is that when a BGC gets shuffled into the "pending" purgatory that OSP isn't devoting many resources toward resolving whatever issue is holding it up.

In the past couple of legislative sessions I have heard talk of OSP lobbying to raise the BGC fee to $25 under the guise of being understaffed. This effort usually fizzles out when someone points out that NICS is free.

E

My local FFL here in Vernonia has on occasion released firearms after the three day period.

However, we are a very small community here and tend to know the qualities and negatives of local individuals. Our FFL won't do it for just anyone. ;)

E

I have never once had to wait more than 30 min. So I would have to say. All of them...
I could only surmise that there is either someone using your info, you misplaced some info on the form, you are a very recent emigrant to Oregon or there is something in your background that they are possibly worried about? This is the first I've heared about having to wait so long. Can anyone give me any idea? It seems to be common?

Last Edited:
I was in Bi Mart the other day buying a fishing license, when I overheard a couple of gun counter guys telling another customer that they hadn't heard back from the OSP and that he should return tomorrow to pick up his shotgun as the three days would have transpired by then.

I have never once had to wait more than 30 min. So I would have to say. All of them...
I could only surmise that there is either someone using your info, you misplaced some info on the form, you are a very recent emigrant to Oregon or there is something in your background that they are possibly worried about? This is the first I've heared about having to wait so long. Can anyone give me any idea? It seems to be common?

There's no way misplaced info on the form would influence the background check. The gun shop employee puts all the info into the computer and if he puts it in wrong (doesn't match DMV records) the computer tells him the info is wrong before it's submitted to the state. It's a foolproof system as far as data entry goes.

The best (and only) thing to do with a delay is to call the number, leave a message and wait for a call back. If they tell you what the issue is and you have documentation that addresses that issue (police report for identity theft, proof of an expunged conviction, etc) then you can send it to them and get it all taken care of.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top