JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am trying to get my hands on the Savage Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor for my general purpose hunting rifle. I was given a 6.5x55 SE for a gift, but its an old rifle and I want something I can load hotter rounds in. I have never met anyone else who hunts with any of the 6.5mm rounds. Anyone on here use such a thing, and have any experiences to share?

I too use an old Sweidsh Mauser 6.5x55. Excellent accuracy, sectional density, and penetration. I agree with above poster, it doesn't need to be loaded hot. I have no experience with the Creedmoor but it seems to be a very good long range caliber. I doubt very much you will need to load it to it's maximum or near maximum limits to get the most in long range accuracy out of it.

My 6.5 is a sporterized Mauser also, but it was produced in 1903. Its age makes me nervous to put anything in it other than softer loads. ( guess hotter means most factory loads in my case) I was originally thinking about finding another 6.5x55, but the popularization of the Creedmoor (especially in the savage lightweight hunter) is pushing me towards that route. I agree with both of you though, the 6.5x55 is a hammer! After owning one, I have always been surprised its not more prevalent.

That would be a great little hunting rifle. From what i've heard creedmoor is the way to go. Grendel gives up too much in order to work in an AR platform. I would only go Grendel if I had to use it in an AR as well as bolt gun.

Has a gunsmith checked this rifle out? Given it the OK?

If so, then spend the money and get some Norma ammo for the Swede, run it through a chrono. Then load up some handloads with RL19, or IMR4350 or H4831 to similar velocities.

The CIP (Euro equivalent of SAAMI) lists the 6.5x55 Swede at 55kPSI, which your old Swede will handle just fine as long as it's in good condition.

Cartridge Pressure Standards

The Swedes shoot these things regularly at 600 meters. They are stronger than American ammo mfrs would have you believe.

Has a gunsmith checked this rifle out? Given it the OK?

If so, then spend the money and get some Norma ammo for the Swede, run it through a chrono. Then load up some handloads with RL19, or IMR4350 or H4831 to similar velocities.

The CIP (Euro equivalent of SAAMI) lists the 6.5x55 Swede at 55kPSI, which your old Swede will handle just fine as long as it's in good condition.

Cartridge Pressure Standards

The Swedes shoot these things regularly at 600 meters. They are stronger than American ammo mfrs would have you believe.

Thanks for that info! Would I need a gunsmith who can do an NDI, or is there another method of testing the metals? Can you recommend one? ( a gunsmith)

Mr Black the Savage mags are almost 2.9" so even the longest 140 gr ogives will sit outside the longer 260 case. Not much difference between it and the Creedmoor but the brass is cheaper and loaded ammo is out there.

I paid $440 for a Savage 11 package rifle and got the weight down to 7.2 lbs by installing a lighter scope and rings. If I can sell the scope for $100 I'll have the rifle for $340, tough to beat that. 1:8 twist 260, Accutrigger, detachable mag. I like these Savage rifles, they sure do shoot.

I've hunted with the Rem 6.5mm magnum for years. In my mind, it isn't a real Magnum, but it's a 30-06 volume case necked to .264. I also like the newer .260 rem: less case volume, but higher pressures and pretty good performance.
Hunting with the 6.5 mag is great, it's a lightweight(6 1/2lbs) rifle and it will anchor any large buck in it's tracks, literally; I've done it. I use 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullets: .5MOA! 6-fives are a special kind of round, accurate, reasonable recoil and excellent penetration. I think however you launch a 6.5mm bullet it's gonna do what you want.

my 6.5 x 55 Mauser is one of my all time favorite rifles and cartridges.
it's dropped a feral swine that was coming for me, humanely taken a big buck at around 300 yards, hit steel plates at 800 yards with ease.

the only reason its not my only hunting gun is i'm unable to commit and i enjoy variety :)

I have a 260 Remington Ackley improved built on a Remington Model Seven. It is an incredible shooter and has worked well on the 3 deer and 1 antelope I have shot with it. All one shot kills at ranges from 120 yards to a 504 yard shot on the speed goat. The antelope didn't even take a step, all three of the mule deer were within 15 yards of where they were when I shot them. I am very happy with this cartridge to say the least!

I just got mine together and I haven't started loading yet. Does anyone have any hunting experience with 100-120 grain bullets? Just wondering if people round here shoot the traditionally heavy 6.5 bullets or go lighter.

I have some 100 gr TTSXs for hunting and 100 gr Ballistic Tips for practice. I know that combo will work but I'm considering heavier bullets.

I read that the 120 gr Ballistic Tips can be fragile even at moderate speeds so I'm hoping that the new 123 gr SST (BC .5) is tougher, should be inexpensive enough to practice with too.

I know the 125 Partition, 129 Interlock and 130 Accubonds are all pretty close to perfect for deer/elk but how much penetration do you need on 150 lb Benchlegs?

It seems to me that the ballistic tip gets a bad rap for coming apart on game. I've never had a problem with this. I am shooting the 120 grain ballistic tips in my 260 Ackley at a muzzle velocity of 3120 FPS. I used this same load on 3 deer and one antelope and had excellent results.

I apologize for posting inaccurate information. I said the ID of the centerfeed mag on my new 260 Savage is almost 2.9", that's incorrect. I got my calipers out, held down the follower and I got 3.010"

You could fit Mauser cartridges in this mag. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top