JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am currently building a rifle that I want to be able to compete in Open F Class I have the basic rules. But I have a couple questions for someone who actually shoots the class.

I will be doing this with a 30-06 chambered rifle.

I was given a Barreled action a while back and since it is a Massive Mauser 98 action (1.410" large ring) with a 25.5" x 1.180" D barrel (most guys that have looked at it think it is a mid 1960's to mid 1970's Douglas) And I want to build a stock for it similar to a Keppeler Benchrest Rifle with Metal Stock K05-B (F-Class)

<broken link removed>

I already have the design of the stock drawn out and my next step before any real work is to have a local gunsmith who he himself shoots longrange rifle events check it all out to make sure its worth the effort.

I am not so worried about winning events as I am having fun shooting. I used to shoot Blackpowder rifles in various competitions from trailwalks to bench rest and I want to get back to something similar and long range has always been an interest.

SO if you have been shooting F class or F T/R class I would like to ask some questions.

I don't shoot F class but I do shoot a long range. Tri County has a 600 yard summer league. It is similar to F class but only at 600 yards. A guy started up F class at Tri County as well but recently had to move up north for a job. I know there are some pretty serious F class shooters out at Douglas Ridge.

BTW....A 30-06 with 200-210 grain bullets does quite well at long range.:s0155:

I don't shoot F class but I do shoot a long range. Tri County has a 600 yard summer league. It is similar to F class but only at 600 yards. A guy started up F class at Tri County as well but recently had to move up north for a job. I know there are some pretty serious F class shooters out at Douglas Ridge.

BTW....A 30-06 with 200-210 grain bullets does quite well at long range.:s0155:

I been a 30-06 shooter for 32 years now I own 4 of them hunting, a couple military, and a target/varmit so this rifle will have lots of company. Been reloading for them that long as well. I plan on checking out Douglas Ridge after I do some more talking to guys.

I do not shoot F-class but I shoot NRA High Power out to 600 yards. And occasionally 1000 yards. The general consensus among the High Power shooters I know is
that the best 30 cal. bullet for 600/1000 yards is the 175 Sierra Match King. Because of its ballistic coefficient. With minimum velocity of 2600 fps at the muzzle,
it will prevent the 175 SMK from going sub sonic out to 1000 yards. Once the bullet goes sub sonic it tumbles and accuracy is lost.

I would suggest putting a cheap stock on the gun and shooting a match to see how you like it. If you like it, which I'm sure you will I would put the gun back in the safe and start from scratch. You can shoot out to 1k with the setup your describing but it will never be competitive. I shoot Savage actions and McGowen barrels in both of my guns. 284 Winchester for F-class 32" barrel and 308 for f/tr 30" barrel. I won the Oregon state long range championship this year with my .308 shooting Berger 155.5 grain fullbores at 3040fps. I push them really hard but the brass and rifle can handle it. I started with a Savage model 10fcp and after my first match I was hooked but I quickly realized there is only so much you can do when your under gunned. Just my 2¢ if you have any questions let me know. BTW Douglas Ridge is great for shooting long range, I'm a member there and there are quite a few really good long range shooters there, couple of world champions too!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top