JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
when the xd first came out, the xd, not the hs2000, it predated my interest in firearms, i took a look, like i'm sure alot of you did. i found it to have a kinda spongy trigger and a top heavy feel that i just couldn't get over.

fast forward a few years and the xdm hits the market, i kinda ignored it. i figured it was just an updated bells and whistles version of the xd. boy, was i wrong. i was in a gun shop a few weeks ago a took a look at one. it is a completly different animal. nice sharp, grippy checkering, good sights, a slide that feels nice, and a trigger that is just fantastic.

someone would have to beg me to take a free xd, but an xd(m) 40 3.8 is at the top of my 2011 list.

anyone else have a love/ hate thing going with the xd/xdm?

Nope, loved my XD9, but sold it to buy the XDm9. I am much more accurate with it, but I actually liked the trigger on my XD a little better, might just me. Only thing I dislike about them is that you have to have the sights machined out if you want to replace them, but that is nitpicking. Overall, I would say that the XD's and XDm's are the best value, quality, and performer, for the money, out there. Only thing close is Glock, but I don't think they come with the same accessory package.

Yes, I really dislike the XD. I think its the most over-rated pistol ever. I'm still trying to figure out how the Springfield Armory rollmark was worth the $200 price jump from the HS pistol. Its overly top heavy, and gets worse so as you empty the mag.

However, when they redesigned it to the XDM, i think they did allright. Not fantastic. But if you asked me to pick a polymer .45 ACP, behind the S&W MP45 and the Glock 21SF, it would rank it a very respectable third to me. Not good enough to buy at retail, but if someone offered me one in a trade, I would seriously consider it, whereas an XD would usually get an automatic "no thanks"...

Picked mine up about 2 years ago, at first was a little hesitant about the Xd. Will agree that it is very top heavy, especially when I compare it to the H&K's that I love. But the more range time I was able to get with the Xd, the more it started to grow on me. Personally could do without the trigger safety and grip safety but do however like the striker indicator. Now my Xd 40 has become my primary carry pistol, like Mastercard I dont leave home without it :s0114:

I've got two XD's (both .40, service and SC), there is quite a bit of difference between THESE two, so I think it kinda depends on whether you get a good one or not. I don't think it's fair to say they're "overrated" they're priced right between a Glock and a Taurus, so you shouldn't expect to get a H-K for that price. I would like to try an XD(m) but can't really justify the cost right now, maybe a trade?:s0112:

Alright, that's it! I am applying to the Johnson Creek Gun Club, and if/when I get in, if any of you want to try shooting the Xdm9 you are my guest to try mine! Even though mine has the lazer rear sight on it, making it a little wierd to shoot without the lazer on, I think you will be convirted. The thing is freaking sweet! The trigger creeps a little, in my opinion, but I shoot unbelievable groups with it. I am not an experienced, even good, shooter in my opinion, but you wouldn't know it to look at my targets! And to some of the folks out there that say the XD is top heavy, I would admit that it feels that way when you hold it, but when you shoot it I think it shows it's true colors.

I don't think there is more of a "Ford vs. Chevy" type debate out there in the gun world as there is between the Glock and XD. If you like the Glock, you hate the XD and vice versa. Personally, I love the XD and hate the Glock. Although, I will be big enough to admit I have never shot a Glock, only felt how it felt in my hand. That being said, I will say that I would never say Glock is a crap gun. There is a reason it has such a devoted following, and the reasons are much the same that the XD has such a large following. As far as dependability goes I think they are both the standard by which all guns should be measured. If I had to pick a gun besides the XD that I would lay my life on that when I pull the trigger it will go bang it would be a Glock, regardless of price. They will both shoot great no matter the cheapness of the ammo, or how dirty it is, or how new it is. Out of the box, they will both operate as advertised.

The Glock just points different than any other gun out there, some like it, some don't. Just look at the last season of "Best shot" or whatever it was called. The Glock pro couldn't shoot the Beretta to save his life. Obviously there is something different about the way it points. Once you get used to it, you love it, probably just like once you get used to the top heavy feeling of the XD, you love it.

Anyway, if you see a big fat blonde headed guy at the gun club, come right over with your ammo and I'll let you shoot it as much as you like. And my HK45 too. I love letting people feel how good these things shoot.

It would be nice if you offered to let me shoot your Glock as well, have to admit I am curious.

Ok, just came back and reread what I wrote. Before any of you jump on me for making this a Glock/XD thing, two things I have to say. I have had a couple drinks, and it just seems like anytime someone bags on the XD it tuns out it's a Glock guy. And one more thing, full disclosure, the XD9 was the first handgun I ever bought on my own, and I basically taught myself to shoot with it, so I am biased. Still, I stand by my invitation. Love to shoot with shooters.

Hey Phillyfan, how is the rear laser sight on your Xd as far as durability, accuracy and price point? Thought about switching out the factory rear sights with one, but have read mixed reviews on them.

*cough glock is the most overrated gun in the world cough* lol. No really, I enjoyed shooting them both but the xdm felt way better. I no longer shoot polymer though as I bought a 1911 and never looked back. Now I own 3 and Really don't like the triggers on polymer guns. I guess its a 1911 thing lol.

I prefer the regular XD for my purposes.

I shoot .45. I like the Tactical's smoother recoil impulse, longer sight radius, and flat top. The grip, while not as "checkered" is a bit more comfortable to shoot for extended periods. I also feel that the trigger on the XD is better, although neither is "good".

The only thing I don't like about the XDs:
- Long trigger reset (I fixed by having a trigger job done)
- PITA sights to change (had it done at the same time as the trigger)
- Mushy trigger
- Really high holds start going across the grip safety pin hole. This is sharp and irritating. Changed hold a little lower.
- XDm fixed the relief around the mag release.
- The grip is almost too small at the top of the grip. It tends to want to twist a little when pointing.

I'll continue the Glock/XD battle

I'm not real impressed with my new XD.
As NoAim said,the trigger sucks a$$.If you stay 25 feet from me you're safe.
I couldn't hit you with this gun.

Now a G23 I can shoot pretty darn good.I'm kinda thinking how to trade and not lose money.

Begining to wonder why I thought it was a good idea to sell the KImber:s0054:
And I'm sure the guy who bought it is :banana::gun10:

I gotta go back to sleep now

I shoot both regularly.

I haven't learned to appreciate the XDm. It doesn't fit my hand. (I'm pretty ham-handed). I have a XD 5" tactical. It shoots well. The trigger is "ok" Nothing to brag about. In shooting a bunch of these, I've noticed a different feel on the triggers of ALL of them. Not so consistent?

My dislike for the XDm also extends to the glocks. TAKE IT EASY GLOCK GUYS! I think they're both great guns, but they don't fit my hand... so they're off my list.

I'm a 1911 guy.. so not huge into the plastic. I was REALLY excited about the XDm when it first came out. based on the various grip configurations. I tried them all, plus the rubber hoage condom grip thing.. no deals.

So now the only plastic xd on my list will eventually be the subcompact in .45 if they ever make it.

It's not the first gun I pull out of the safe, but its there if I need it. Seems to kills the silhouettes as good as some of the others.. so it's a keeper for now.

just for fun.

Hey Phillyfan, how is the rear laser sight on your Xd as far as durability, accuracy and price point? Thought about switching out the factory rear sights with one, but have read mixed reviews on them.

I have had a hard time getting it sighted in properly, not sure if it is because it keeps moving when I fire. think I am going to send it back for another one. Sucks to have to pay to have the original rear sight machined out though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top