JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is a legitimate concern.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgun-discussion/141449-ive-never-felt-outgunned-my-5-shot-snubbie.html

To answer the OP, no, not any more, that said, if I were to my preference would be an S&W 3" K-frame in .357 mag - 13/65 or 19/66. Also, IMO, the S&W 442/642 is the best pocket gun on the planet.

IMO the Ruger LCR has better grips and a much better trigger than the 442/642. Plus, the lock is hidden underneath the grip instead of having a "Hillary hole" above the cylinder release latch. I pocket-carry mine during summer months with a couple of speed strips for reloads. I also have a S&W 66-3 with a 3" barrel and I love the gun but its too heavy for me to conceal easily.

Either carry a Kimber TLE or a Smith 686 2 1/2". If only Smith would have built the 686 with a 3" barrel in 6 shot, I would prefer that as all my speedloaders for the L frame are 6 shot and the 3" has a full length ejector rod. Generally the Kimber is the in town carry, the Smith is back country carry.

I think that 5 shots is probably adequate for any threat that a civilian is likely to face. The revolver's advantages in terms of safety, reliability and simplicity when being used in a life-or-death adrenaline filled encounter outweigh its disadvantages of low capacity and slower reloads. I like having the ability to both conceal and fire a hammerless revolver from inside of a coat pocket without ever exposing it and without any worries about it jamming. Or if I am tackled by an assailant and rolling around on the ground, I can stick the revolver into his gut like a knife and empty it without it jamming. I also like the lack of a manual safety and the longer, heavier trigger pull of a DAO revolver; both of these features are beneficial when a person is in a life-or-death situation and amped on adrenaline. And finally, the revolver allows the use of everything from Glaser safety slugs to big nasty hollow-based wadcutters in a variety of bullet weights.

Im 5'10" and 150, and I wear tight clothes, so my real hand cannons stay at home in the safe. My EDC alternates between my old pre-lock S&W 442 hammerless J-frame snubby (the beneficiary of a fancy trigger job and aftermarket springs, and now one of the best DA pulls I have ever experienced) and my older Colt Agent -- nothing quite shoots like a Colt, although a Smith with a worked trigger can get close. ;) Both are loaded with Golden Saber 38. Spec +p, and backed up by my old High-Standard .22 WMR DA Derringer.

I usually wear a satchel bag with a quickdraw pocket and the Colt tends to live there or in a shoulder rig. The 442 is my pocket carry gun, and either lives in a breast pocket or pants pocket. If its hot out and I'm sans-bag and sans coat, the 442 goes IWB or in my right front pocket. The Derringer lives in a boot holster in cold weather and an ankle holster in warm weather.

I'm thinking of trying to carry my S&W 686 in a shoulder rig next winter, but a 3 pound square butt L-frame revolver will probably make me look like a hunchback :( I wish open carry didn't cause such drama these days. I live in Downtown Portland, and if I walk around with a gigantic revolver on my hip that way I'd like to, anti-gun people would be calling the police on me every 5 minutes.

p.s. Thinking of replacing the .22 Mag derringer with one of those new-fangled Double-Tap .45 ACPs or with a NAA .22 WMR revolver -- anyone have much experience with either of those?

p.s. Thinking of replacing the .22 Mag derringer with one of those new-fangled Double-Tap .45 ACPs or with a NAA .22 WMR revolver -- anyone have much experience with either of those?

I have a NAA .22 magnum. Depending on the size of your hands, it's hard for me to have much of shooting grip. I have a pocket holster, for it, and you never know it's there (by it's weight, and lack of "printing")- when I carry it. I recently traded off a 2-shot derringer that I could grip better, but it's grip was wider than the NAA and, of course, 2 rounds vs. 5.

I carry either a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, loaded with with Speer 250 gr .45 Colt jacketed Gold Dot HPs, or an S & W Mdl 296, loaded with Speer 200 gr .44 Spl jacketed Gold Dot HPs. I carry in a belt pack.

Ron

Carried a Dan Wesson .357 6" in a shoulder rig many, many years ago. I'm a big/tall guy....6' 3" with small hands but I can hide a cannon. :s0155:

Saved my life carrying that revolver. But I'd not do it again...better carry pieces are all around now.

I have a Smith and Wesson model 19 4" .357 that I feel real confident with and *could* carry and conceal but do not/have not done that.

VooDoo

Im 5'10" and 150, and I wear tight clothes, so my real hand cannons stay at home in the safe. My EDC alternates between my old pre-lock S&W 442 hammerless J-frame snubby (the beneficiary of a fancy trigger job and aftermarket springs, and now one of the best DA pulls I have ever experienced) and my older Colt Agent -- nothing quite shoots like a Colt, although a Smith with a worked trigger can get close. ;) Both are loaded with Golden Saber 38. Spec +p, and backed up by my old High-Standard .22 WMR DA Derringer.

I usually wear a satchel bag with a quickdraw pocket and the Colt tends to live there or in a shoulder rig. The 442 is my pocket carry gun, and either lives in a breast pocket or pants pocket. If its hot out and I'm sans-bag and sans coat, the 442 goes IWB or in my right front pocket. The Derringer lives in a boot holster in cold weather and an ankle holster in warm weather.

I'm thinking of trying to carry my S&W 686 in a shoulder rig next winter, but a 3 pound square butt L-frame revolver will probably make me look like a hunchback :( I wish open carry didn't cause such drama these days. I live in Downtown Portland, and if I walk around with a gigantic revolver on my hip that way I'd like to, anti-gun people would be calling the police on me every 5 minutes.

You might want to check out the range reports by another member on this forum, Personally I think I'll stear clear of the Double Tap

DoubleTap Full Review: Don't Shoot Reloads! 1st outing, not so good, my fault... - YouTube
DoubleTap Range Tests: SUCCESS! Important ammo note w/ the Tactical Pocket Pistol - YouTube

Ruger Speed Six, 2.75" barrel, .357 magnum. Currently using 125 gr. Corbon DPX but considering switching over to 180 gr. hardcast for better penetration. Coat pocket carry.

I think that 5 shots is probably adequate for any threat that a civilian is likely to face.

While it's true that 0-2 rounds are all it usually takes to get a psychological stop, it is not a given that 5 shots gets it done against a determined attacker.

Note that I'm not saying that carrying a revolver isn't OK. When it comes down to it, this is all a numbers game. The odds of needing a firearm for self defense are incredibly slim. When a firearm is needed, only a small % require shots fired. When shots are fired, only a small percentage require more than 2. Probability says that carrying a revolver is very likely to serve you well.

I favor semis, but I have no issue with anyone who makes an informed decision to carry a revolver.

Also, I have a huge gun-crush on the Ruger SP101 2.5".

Mt favorite carry guns, especially during the summer months is a S&W model 60 with a Pocket Clip (small metal clip that attaches to the side of the frame). Fits perfect in my font pocket of my jeans and it is comfortable. The handle of the frame rides on a curve and with the pocket clip, I eliminate a holster. Works great.

The revolver's advantages in terms of safety, reliability and simplicity when being used in a life-or-death adrenaline filled encounter outweigh its disadvantages of low capacity and slower reloads.

+1 My 80 + year old Mother in Law can have any gun she wants. She can afford any gun she wants and is experienced and surprisingly potent with a handgun at 80 years old. She prefers a revolver because it is very simple. As she says, you point it at the BG and pull the trigger until it stops going *BaNg!* and if that doesn't work you have something heavy to crush his skull with.

I know it's not common but I love my Mother in Law. Revolvers have their place and, as already stated, 5- 6 rounds is likely all us civilians are likely to need plus it can be shot from the pocket or under the covers (in bed) without a hitch.

VooDoo

Blitz, I'm 5'6" and go 150. A government size 1911 is a chunk of steel on my hip. :s0112:

You might find a better belt and/or holster will help a bunch.
I'm 5'9 and 145. Can carry an all steel Commander sized gun all day in comfort. I love to carry my 686 4", but I use an OWB holster for it. Not sure that I would find it as comfortable in an IWB holster as the flat 1911.
In fact, the only times I carry a revolver, it's OWB or pocket carry. I used to have a shoulder holster for a .38 snubbie, but found it too hard to get to.

It is a legitimate concern.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgun-discussion/141449-ive-never-felt-outgunned-my-5-shot-snubbie.html

To answer the OP, no, not any more, that said, if I were to my preference would be an S&W 3" K-frame in .357 mag - 13/65 or 19/66. Also, IMO, the S&W 442/642 is the best pocket gun on the planet.

My wife has a packed a full house M65 3 inch (the old FBI gun but in stainless) for decades. Back before better bullet tech came the .357 was the manstopper king

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top