JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going prairie dog hunting this summer. I know how convenient it is to hunt on someone's private ranch land. I think the ranch has been sold but I hunted on the T/R ranch in Recluse, Wyoming about 30 years ago. They had 4 trailer houses for deer hunters in the season but they would let prairie dog hunters come in the summer. The ranch didn't wipe out the dogs and just left them for the hunters. I was the only hunter in those 4 days. I must have fired 200 rounds per day with my 4 bench rest rifles. I can't find any traces of that ranch anymore...guess they sold out. If you know some private ranches, and can get permission to go, let's go together! Email me at [email protected]. I live in SE Salem.

My 1st time in Wyo looking for dogs I also went to the T/R ranch due to a magazine article about dog shooting (about 30 years ago). He was booked up for the year and we weren't into paying so he sent us to a neighboring ranch. We stayed there 2 days shooting as much as we could. We ended going back a few times, back then you could just go knock on doors and pretty much be shooting anywhere. We'd go to a ranch and they'd send us over to another one and so on. We shot from Gillette to Casper and all around the area.

My recent searches for the T/R also came up blank, not sure when he sold. At the time he had like 120K acres and was working a deal for another 40k (or some 'crazy large' chunk of land). He invited us into the ranch house and showed us his trophies, nice guy even though his mgr busted us shooting on the ranch w/out permission and sent us up to the 'big house' to talk to the boss.

Haven't been for 20 years so have no idea what it's like anymore. If it were me I'd head to Gillette and start spreading out and asking permission as I don't know anyone anymore. I'd drive around until I found some promising areas and stop and talk to someone. It may take bit but I bet there are still some honey holes and ranchers willing to let people shoot, they hate those dogs.

Nice to read that you knew about the T/R ranch. I was thinking it was my imagination! It was a great place to hunt and stay. Who knows where the nearest motel might be away from there each evening. I think most dogs are killed with the exterminators these days. Thanks again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top