JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering the Colt Defender in 9mm. I like the size of the pistol and the affordability of 9mm. A combination of price point, stock tritium sights, and resale value has narrowed my search to the Colt, however I would also entertain the Springfield EMP, if I could get a good price.

I have many years of experience with the 1911 government 45ACP platform and I am very comfortable with it, so the operation is not a factor. This weapon would occasionally be carried for short periods of time, occasionally see home defense duties, and probably make a couple of trips to the range every month.

I do not reload my own ammunition.

Can anyone comment on the reliability of this pistol, the durability of the aluminum frame, and whether there is any merit to the ramped vs. non-ramped barrel debate? I've heard some say the Commander size 1911 is superior in almost every way to the Defender, and the size/weight penalty is negligible.

What is your experience?

Many thanks in advance,

I don't own a Colt Defender. I have read and heard that little gal has some feed issues that can be quite frustrating. I run mostly 1911s. Never had one let me down since '68-'69 when one saved my @55. I personally like the Commander size. I have been known to carry one IWB. Great firearm. I do prefer my 1911s in 45acp however. Let us know what you decide. Best of luck to ya.

I have had a Colt defender in 9mm for about 7 years now. My wife likes its trigger. I have shot various defensive loads through it. Golden Saber, Hornady Critical Defense, plain Jane Federal 115 jhp, Winchester PDX, and some others have all run fine. FMJ never a problem. Never heard of any problems with the alloy frame and the 9mm not really a recoil beast anyway. I actually fired my 9mm Defender alongside a Kimber .45 compact model. They felt very similar. I don't think ramped versus non ramped is an issue with modern JHP ammo as their designs are much better than in the past. The 3 inch barreled 1911's can get finicky because the amount of time it has to cycle is shorter so it has to get the rounds to eject and feed a new one in a shorter time frame. This means that magazine design and spring pressure becomes very important. Use Colt or Wilson or Chip McCormick magazines. Some say you also need to change out the recoil springs more frequently. I have fired hundreds of rounds through mine with never a problem including use of a ten round Chip McCormick magazine. Defender vs Commander? Kind of a tough one as I have never had a Commander. I think the Commander would be inherently more reliable because of its longer slide but in terms of size, even the Defender is a pretty "big" pistol for concealed carry. For the record, my carry pistol is a Glock 26. In summary, the Defender in 9mm is a good, reliable pistol for those who like the 1911 design. I think the chopped 1911's get a negative image from the .45ACP versions.

Love the B-58 Hustler. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads