Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Does anyone have any feedback on this quick access pistol safe?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Karvin, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Karvin

Karvin Douglas County, Oregon Member

SV500 SpeedVault | GunVault | GunVault

No reviews at the website, just looking for insight. Thanks for your help. Oh, and if it makes a difference I am looking to mount this, or something like it, in my POV.

2. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Fast forward to 22:00"

[video=youtube;ltK-bDbADa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&feature=related[/video]

3. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I have a GunVault of a different style and can say that I use the key 90% of the time. The buttons are touchy if you're trying to get in fast.

4. Karvin

5. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

fort knox personal safe | eBay

I would like to have one of these for my vehicle. Locking a pistol in a trunk just doesn't cut it. Thief can open my truck if he get into the passenger area with the push of a button, without a car key. I wish it wasn't set up that way.

The only thing I don't see are pre-drilled bolt holes in the bottom of the safe to bolt it down. 1/4"-3/8" holes would be nice all pre-done vs a hack like me getting out my Dewalt.

6. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

I wish I had found that style when I was buying my bedside handgun safe. Currently we have 2 of these: Mini Gun Safe - Mini Gun Vault - MiniVault | GunVault and 1 of these: MV500-STD - MIcrovault | GunVault | GunVault

The minivaults are set on a flat surface and placed strategically in the home. The microvault is bolted to the side of my nightstand, inbetween the nightstand and the bed. So when it opens the lid rests against the bed and it is in a "V" fashion making access to the handgun quite easy and quiet.

I personally rarely have a problem with the buttons and the backup keys are locked up in another safe. I have the beep turned off so they are quiet. The only challenge I run in to is when I am trying to open it and I'm in my bed, my hand is in a different position. So remembering the sequence is different than when standing over it, but that's a training issue.

If you get the one you asked about, I'd be interested to see what you think of it.

7. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have one of the safes that the NRA sells, cables around the seat. My Ody also has a lockable compartment in the rear floor. Sounds like a good idea except the lid is plastic so no real protection.

In the motorhome I have a one handgun safe right between the wall and drivers seat. No one even knows it's there unless they sit in the seat and move some storage boxes. Key locking and easy open with one hand when not locked. They no longer make them though.

8. bighappyfish

bighappyfish TEXAS New Member

went from a big winchester gun safe to this...built under my workbench for 30 bucks. Kinda a fun project.

IMAG0262.jpg

9. Ordnance Locker

Ordnance Locker Kitsap County New Member

So you made a hidden compartment and then posted it on the internet with a description and photo of it's location?

10. bighappyfish

bighappyfish TEXAS New Member

its a workbench........ in the state of texas.

11. Karvin

Yep... Texas is kind of big. Bet you are safe. :)

12. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

I've read too many bad stories about the gunvault buttons. Not as bad as the biometric locks, but still electronics that seem to be produced to the cheapest standard. From what I read, usually the switches give up. As an electronics engineer I am happy to have as few electronics for such type of essentials as possible, so I'm personally looking at either a v-line or fort knox box.

13. Snopczynski

Snopczynski Bonney Lake, WA Member

I do not like electronic locks on anything, especialy pistol boxes to be used for home defense. Take a look at something with a kaba mas push button mechanical lock on it. V-line makes some pretty good units. We have failures and issues with the gun vaults products all the time.