JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All, I was just at a dealers and noticed this Winchester .22 ammo, I had never seen before. They offered me a really good price on a case but pretty leary to get a case of ammo I have never tried before! I'll be shooting it in some higher end .22's and was wondering what everyone's experience has been with it.

Now..., I know the same ammo shoots differently in different guns and even from lot to lot. I am hoping to get a general consensus from others on here, who have used it. Also, do you remember what you paid for a box of 500 (want to make sure, it is a good deal!)?

Thanx in advance, Robert

Winchester USA Game and Target .22

USA22LR500.png

Probably the same ammo as sold before - in a different box.

Everybody has different experiences with different rimfire ammo.

I have over 30K rounds of rimfire ammo - Federal, Winchester, Remington and so on. A brick of 500 is not a big deal - if it doesn't work well in one firearm, then it may work better in one of the other ten or so rimfires I own and shoot.

YMMV

Probably the same ammo as sold before - in a different box.

I have over 30K rounds of rimfire ammo - Federal, Winchester, Remington and so on. A brick of 500 is not a big deal - if it doesn't work well in one firearm, then it may work better in one of the other ten or so rimfires I own and shoot.

YMMV

Yes, I know 500 ain't much but he wants to sell me a case of 5000 (10 - 500's)!

Hello All, I was just at a dealers and noticed this Winchester .22 ammo, I had never seen before. They offered me a really good price on a case but pretty leary to get a case of ammo I have never tried before! I'll be shooting it in some higher end .22's and was wondering what everyone's experience has been with it.

Now..., I know the same ammo shoots differently in different guns and even from lot to lot. I am hoping to get a general consensus from others on here, who have used it. Also, do you remember what you paid for a box of 500 (want to make sure, it is a good deal!)?

Thanx in advance, Robert

View attachment 701764

All during the last great panic shortage I bought a lot of Win .22 ammo. The only kind I had some problems with was some that had kind of a TC bullet. It worked but did cause a few feeding errors. All the stuff I bought from them that was round nose in either HP or solid worked fine. I would be VERY leery of buying a case of any kind before being able to try it.
Places like SGammo still have a lot of .22 ammo in the .05-.07 per round price. So you can still buy ammo. Will the place that wants to sell you a case of this let you buy a box first? Even if it's of course more per round it would be worth it to me to give it a try before buying a case of it.

YMMV

IMHO....he is 100% correct. Try it. If you like it. Buy more. But then.....even lot to lot variations exists. So, beware.

Story Time.
During the OBAMA panic.....
I had a bunch of Rem Golden Bullet in 525 ct boxes.

IMG-0529-1.jpg

People use to complain on the forums about it being dirty and they were saying that the QC was bad. They had FTF, FTE and whatever. Anyway, I sold off my supply because I didn't like them either. LOL. But then, the buyer said that his Walther P22 loved them and it was a good price (considering the shortage).

Well....thank you very much.

Anyway, later, when I bought a Walther P22, I had trouble with reliability. I was thinking that it was the gun's fault. But, I tried some Rem Golden Bullets and Rem Thunderbolts. Yup....things were a lot better with that ammo vs my higher priced other brands of ammo. Accuracy? I didn't care, minute of can is good enough (for plinking) and it's not like the Walther P22 is suppose to be a "Target Gun".

When I found a case at a "good price" I bought it. Yup.....just in case. Rrrright......history has a way of repeating itself.

Aloha, Mark

PS....That all being said.....I have very little Winchester 22 LR. I just prefer other brands.

Last Edited:
I will say, I recently tried some various bulk ammo, Federal and Remington, and then I tried the Federal Hunter Match. The groups for the Hunter Match were less than half the size of the bulk ammo and it cost me 8 cents per round. So I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanx in advance, Robert

View attachment 701764

I tested over a dozen .22 loads in my bolt action and 10/22, and this particular load was one of those. I paid $4.98/50rd box (pre-tax and shipping) in the summer of 2017 from Cheaper Than Dirt. My method was to shoot a single multi-round (mostly 50 shot) group from a bench rest at 100yds.

In my bolt action (CZ 527 Ultra Lux), this ammo scored 12th out of 12 different loads tested. For this ammo, 49 shots in the group, 1 malfunction sufficient to destroy the cartridge, entire size of the group=4.3" and if I subtract 5 fliers, the group size was 3.6". For comparison, best in this rifle was Eley Club, 50 shot group, no malfs, entire group=2.1", minus five fliers=1.8".

In my 10/22 (free floated barrel, bedded action, volquartzen trigger group parts in 80s trigger group), this ammo scored 11th out 14 loads. It scored 5.2" for a 50 round group, no malfs, 3.4" with 5 fliers subtracted. In comparison, the best ammo I tested for this rifle was Eley Action, 35 shot group, no malfs, 2.6" for the entire group, 1.9" with 5 fliers subtracted.

I don't know why the Eley Action was only 35 shots as this was a couple years ago, but I suspect I had been shooting something higher velocity before and ended up wasting a lot of shots to get it on paper. I wish I had kept better notes on why some the groups had fewer shots -- the ones with malfunctions are obvious but not the others. Anyway, if I was to do it over, I would have organized the different .22 loads by velocity. I also wouldn't shoot single 50 shot groups again -- the center of the target would become a ragged hole making it hard to be sure my point of aim was always the same.

EDIT: In my notes the name on the load was not identical as on the box in the picture, but the load I tested was a 36gr, CPHP, advertised at 1280 FPS, which is the same, so I am assuming it is the same round with different marketing on the package.

Last Edited:
Anyone who does not want to shoot any sort of 22lr they purchase, please pm me. I'll gladly do it for you!

That Winchester looks like it is in a different box but I could be wrong. I never tried what you posted from what the BOX LOOKS like. I would try one box and go from there and I would try it in ALL of my RF firearms BEFORE I bought a bunch of it as in a case or more.

We have not bought anything but FEDERAL 22lr ammunition for several years.

Mainly FEDERAL HP - bulk box from Walmart, FEDERAL Auto Match from various stores and one other one that we shot all up - CRS now on the exact grain or name but I think (?!) that it was FEDERAL American Eagle.

RF ammunition works well in some firearms but not in others according to some people online and in person.

I don't think that ammo like the ELY brand and other high priced brands work any better than what WE have used in Federal 22lr and in CCI over the years. Your mileage may vary!

We did buy some ELY one time and used it in a few firearms before I downsized. So did my MT husband. The results were NO better than using FEDERAL HP or FEDERAL AUTO MATCH and some other Federal ammunition for us. NO better than CCI too.

Personally, I think that it depends on the SHOOTER, specific guns that can be picky compared to some other guns (Ones that we don't own or personally want to own or even LIKE.), the weather and wind. Etc.

I have used many, many brands of RF ammunition (22lr and 22wmr) since the late 90's and my late husband and my MT husband did the same thing.

There was one brand of ammunition that I found extremely DIRTY and if my memory serves me right - it was one TYPE of Winchester 22lr or it could have been the batch of it. It was a LONG, long time ago and I only tried one bulk box of it and I never bought it again.

I never BOUGHT Thunderbolts (I tried some that belonged to another person though.) but I did try other Remington ammo on and off in RF and CF ammo. No issues.

I tried other types of Winchester ammo in RF and in CF factory loads and had no issues.

I like the FEDERAL 22lr brand and we have 2 types of that on hand now.

I like CCI but we shot all of that up.

I like MANY brands in 22wmr ammunition including the HORNADY Critical Defense brand.

I hear a LOT of people complain about their LUCK with 22lr ammunition and all I can say as a former HIGH VOLUME SHOOTER who shot MORE 22lr compared to my factory CF ammunition due to the COST of ammo (I did not/do not reload.) - I must have been very lucky compared to what I READ online.

(My MT husband does reload CF ammo and I have shot his loads in the past obviously.)

My MT husband who has been shooting since he was a KID basically says the same thing when people talk about their issues with RF shooting. It is not always the ammo in our opinion but it COULD be in some cases. The SHOOTER or a very picky or dirty firearm especially in some semi automatic firearms or the weather.

(Some ammo could be a BAD batch or made poorly compared to other ammunition too.)

And that was with ME shooting MANY RF brands of lever action rifles, many d/a and s/a revolvers, 1 CT made Marlin Papoose, 1 Smith and Wesson Model 41 and 1 Smith and Wesson Model 22A. NO problems with the bolt action rifles now either. (Former and present firearms.)

Best wishes to you.

Cate

Last Edited:
I don't shoot 22LR for accuracy and nearly always for recreation and plinking. I also
have never found a brand which couldn't be a decent performer in one of the other
22LR firearms I have so it's not a big deal. Firearms come with a variety of chamber
and headspacing. I will be happy to dispose of your bad ammo. Even if I encounter
dirty shooting ammo, I simply fire it in an easy to disassemble firearm and use the
cleaning time to get acquainted with field stripping. It's cathartic and I enjoy it.

To add credibility to evaluations, it would make more sense that folks ID the firearm
and what is disaggreable with the ammo. Lends to credibility vs jest bubblegumin

Winchester 22 ammo is the worst I've ever shot. I do not buy it anymore.

Could have been a fluke but I doubt it.
I should mention that the results were consistent with all of my many rimfire firearms.

Anywhere between every 3-5 shells would fail to fire. Dirty and inaccurate are things I can live with but having to throw away up to thirty percent of a product that cost me money is totally unacceptable.

I traded the ammo 2 : 1 for another brand and never looked back.

It may have been a bad lot but with the many thousands of rounds of 22 I shoot, none have been so utterly disappointing.

American made rimfire plinking ammo is all pretty much the same to me. There may be problems associated with certain batches, but that happens with all the brands. So, Winchester, Federal, CCI, it's all the same.

Ironically, when I originally had fits with my brand new Glock 44, it was Winchester ammo that always worked, when others failed miserably.

So, if your mind is made up that a certain brand is crap, then it will be. Just like me, the modern Mini Mags are not what they used to be, and I shy away from them when I have other choices.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top