JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't shoot much unsupported and never used this, looks strange but also steady.

I use this style...but only for range qualification...it helps keeps the rifle steady for long periods of time. Notice the support hand is turned, "cupping" the gun while your elbow is on the hip. It's super steady, but it takes a bit of practice to develop and it's a tactical nightmare.

I would always recommend modifying your stance to create a smaller profile and steadier shooting platform...but the above is neither. I do it to score the best I can on a range, and for no other purpose. For some reason, score numbers mean a lot to people (it's an ego thing). Me being "the gun guy", nobody respects a passing score in the shortest amount of time over the guy that has the highest overall score. I think it's more important to get a lot of good shots on target in a realistic manor, versus having a small shot group that took you almost a minute to achieve. But my "hey, you're slapping the trigger" advice falls on deaf ears if I don't get a near perfect score....hence the above.

Politics...anyhoot, unless you're bulls-eye shooting I don't really recommend the above.

Sling wrapped, elbow tucked towards hip, left hand cupped, trigger cleanly broken. If you've done your job and the rifle is correctly sighted in,, smack!

A method that I use for the sitting position is to step through the sling with my left foot (I'm a righty) then using the sling under my left knee and with my left elbow on my left knee I can pull all the slack in tight. This allows me to form a rock solid base from the sitting position. I've not seen this utilized by others in the field, but have taught my sons, daughters and friends to use this method when there is no available rest and brush or grass (winter wheat) prohibits a prone position. An off hand shot should be taken only when there is no viable option for a rested rifle, but I know there are times when there is no time and the shot is now or never.

Yes go to any Blackpowder Rendevous and you will see dozens of people using this type of off hand shooting stance. Works perfectly with a long heavy barrel. My wife when pregnant would prop her elbow up on her belly and out shoot the guys on trail walks all the time. It got to the point some of them would whine and bit ch about it.

Its also very popular in indoor .22 position shooting.

Yeah I found an old marxmanship book at the goodwill that showed this style. Sitting and prone were the usual. It sparked my interest and I'm going to try it soon.

I use the elbow to hip method for highly accurate slow-fire shots on the range only. It's been serving me well for years now. I sometimes use it hunting as well, when I know a follow-up shot won't be possible.

I definitely don't use it in tactical situations or drills for tactical situations, or plinking on the move, or ANYthing but what it's good for.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top