JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the back-up WP4.
Mr. Smith makes a good point.
Even if you used a "target" type loading and replaced the birdshot with buckshot, I would think it would still be a handful (maybe ok if chambered for .410).
...of course, in the movie "Gator", Jerry Reed made it look like child's play...

400px-Gator-lupara4.jpg
9edb14fb26a04adea8397c7d089dba79.jpg

...but that's the movies, too.
I would think the reality would be a bit different.

Dean

The dumb tang safety ( unneeded in my eyes )...

I had a similar observation recently. When I brought home the new Rossi 92 carbine, I noticed this:

safetydumb.jpg

Yes, they put a small manual safety on top of the action. The half-cock mechanism has worked well enough for a long time, and my Winchester 1894 is so set-up. Oh well, I supposed it can be engaged whilst lowering the hammer into said position.

all in all a pretty sleazy / misleading ad copy.

I had the same impression. Might be silly fun in it's own respect, but what a kick in the knickers to anyone who doesn't know what he/she is actually buying. If one wishes a cut-down scattergun, alas, they must "pay to play". Not the end of the world, of course, but an annoyance, courtesy of a spectacularly brainless law passed some eighty-five years ago.

Yes, they put a small manual safety on top of the action. The half-cock mechanism has worked well enough for a long time, and my Winchester 1894 is so set-up. Oh well, I supposed it can be engaged whilst lowering the hammer into said position.

Those safeties can come as "What the heck am I looking at " kinda thing for sure.
The tang and cross bolt safeties I think are useless...Just a cover your azz kinda thing , done by firearms makers nowadays.
For centuries the half cock notch has worked as safety...maybe its the lack of practice , misuse or lack of familiarity with how a firearm works , that is unsafe , not the gun itself.

but what a kick in the knickers to anyone who doesn't know what he/she is actually buying.

That would really be a drag , expecting a actual breech loading cartridge gun and getting a muzzleloader.
I have shot muzzleloading smoothbore pistols / cut down to pistol size muzzleloading shotguns...they are fun...and not too bad on recoil with 30-40 grains of 2F and shot or ball.
I haven't found any practical use for one...but this hobby is supposed to be fun , so who needs practical all the time...?:D
Andy

I've always found the safest way to carry a loaded gun is to have the bidnezz end pointed in a safe direction and leave the chamber empty with the action closed, hammer in "fired" position.
...worked for me for the last 50 years.

Dean

I was thinking of something like this as a survival hunting weapon - O/U combo (shotgun/rifle) with short barrel and pistol 'brace'. Then I realized that wouldn't work legally because it can't have the rifled barrel (which would make it an SBR or SBS). Stupid laws.

As for them being hard to shoot - I have a pistol brace on my Shockwave and it is fine to shoot - stout recoil due to lightweight, but certainly manageable with 2.75" 00 buck. Haven't tried it with 3" yet, but still think it would be ok - being able to put it against your shoulder (unintentionally of course) makes a difference. This is my home/property defense/truck shotgun. Got the TacSol adapter and 1.75" slugs - haven't tried that yet.

It's not for everybody, but I think this class of of firearms is neat.

I started with a Remington Tac 14 I bought used from a fellow member. I went for a Remington 870 WP, restomod style.

I added an SJ Hardware one-shot mag extension, Vang Comp mag follower and spring, Wilson sling plate, and an 870 Police trigger with an SJ Hardware dome head safety. Previous owner stripped the bolt. The sling is a nice M1 carbine repo, from eBay.

Got a walnut police forearm, and an old walnut 870 stock. Cut and shaped the birdshead grip. Installed a sling swivel. Stripped the finish. Rubbed out 10 coats of boiled linseed oil.

I like it:

20181010_204334.jpg

20181010_210552.jpg