JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see where you're headed, a short "coach gun" type of setup from someone like Uberti, Rossi, or even Norinco or Xing-Xing-POW (that last one is made-up).

I'm a little surprised myself that since the Shockwave (and Tac14) made the cut as AOW that no one has offered up a similar SxS or even Chuck Norris-style O/U. My best guess (someone correct me if Im wrong) is that there are indeed import restrictions that keep a cool weapon like this from being brought in. American made doubles tend toward the expensive end of the spectrum and that would put them out of the mainstream market... howzabout a $1400 14" Ruger Red Label*!!!...

yeah... no.

*yes, they're discontinued for several yrs now. It's just an example.

Last Edited:
Give it till January in Las Vegas.

I imagine a year of the Shockwaves not being challenged and still readily available on store shelves will open the doors and for a break action to come to light.

I see where you're headed, a short "coach gun" type of setup from someone like Uberti, Rossi, or even Norico or Xing-Xing-Pow (that last one is made-up).

I'm a little surprised myself that since the Shockwave (and Tac14) made the cut as AOW that no one has offered up a similar SxS or even Chuck Norris-style O/U. My best guess (someone correct me if Im wrong) is that there are indeed import restrictions that keep a cool weapon like this from being brought in. American made doubles tend toward the expensive end of the spectrum and that would put them out of the mainstream market... howzabout a $1400 14" Ruger Red Label*!!!...

yeah... no.

*yes, they're discontinued for several yrs now. It's just an example.
Yes anything 12ga or 20ga that will break open and has birdshead grip with 14 inch barrel would sell pretty well I think, if it's priced in between standard break open and shockwave type models. $200 range. Stevens 301 with birdshead and 14" barrel would be awesome.

Give it till January in Las Vegas.

I imagine a year of the Shockwaves not being challenged and still readily available on store shelves will open the doors and for a break action to come to light.
Ya think? That'd be pretty cool, imo.
1) 20ga sbr double (WIN)
2) Comes from a front the antis didn't even know was open (WIN)
3) Same as #2, outraged antis (WIN)
4) Nostalgia and utility, not to mention coolness for days (WIN)

I've cut down a shotgun or two in my day, always keeping it legal*. But I'd pony-up for a reasonably priced SxS AOW if one were available. Who would make it, though? If they're restricted from importation (still unclear on that), what American manufacturer is tooled-up for it? Who could produce it and market it at a reasonable price?

*Tip: If yer gonna cut down a double and you want to keep it legal, cut the stock FIRST. Do your woodworking before you cut the barrel, you're likely to find the barrel needs to be longer than 18" to get you to legal OAL after the stock is cut... most of mine ended up at around 19".

@arakboss
re:
Norinco or Xing-Xing-POW (that last one is made-up).
The Xing-Xing-POW was in reference to a Chinese made J2000 double gun that I own but couldn't put the name to at the time. It's actually made by ZhoungZhou Machine Company (in China) and imported by CAI. Pretty cool piece, really. Exposed-hammer side-by-side 12ga with double triggers (as it should be). It's no trophy piece, but a servicable and low buy-in double gun just in case the hoped-for AOW shorty doesn't materialize... what I'm saying is that it's a good candidate to cut up if you want. Hell, I'll sell you mine if you want it... they're getting harder to find these days, it seems Xing-Xing-POW has moved-on.

I think the problem is the action/receiver, for lack of more technical term. Shockwaves etc receivers were never "shotguns" but you can use the same reciever for whatever builds and barely lengths. You know the rules....
I suppose you could make a double barrel receiver with removable barrels so you can change the legnth and then mount a birds head or pistol grip for an AOW at the factory, but I don't know of any current production double barrels WITH removable/changeable barrels in the US.
Not sure if you could get through the loophole with a reciever and short barrel attached?

I think the problem is the action/receiver, for lack of more technical term. Shockwaves etc receivers were never "shotguns" but you can use the same reciever for whatever builds and barely lengths. You know the rules....
I suppose you could make a double barrel receiver with removable barrels so you can change the legnth and then mount a birds head or pistol grip for an AOW at the factory, but I don't know of any current production double barrels WITH removable/changeable barrels in the US.
Not sure if you could get through the loophole with a reciever and short barrel attached?
I would think on a break open the stock end with trigger group would be the ffl portion of the firearm. So if you have a birdshead grip instead of stock and a length of barrel that brings total firearm length to 26+ inches that should be gtg. You are right the ffl portion of the firearm would have to be made for that purpose from the get go and not be a modified shotgun piece.

The action can start as a non shotgun on a break action just as it does with the shockwaves.

However the barrel will be longer likely. As it's all about the 26". Remington has a semi out now with an even shorter barrel because the semi auto action is longer.

Most break action shotguns have a fairly short receiver. So to be in the +26" you'll likely get close to a 18" barrel as well.

The only work around would to make the grip or handle longer.

Like this? 01-Miami-Vice.jpg

I highly don't recommend shooting those gats one-handed.
Agreed... everyone has to try it at least once, I totally get that. As someone who had to try it once, and still carries the scar(s), I stand by my (whatever is the opposite of) recommendation.

Doubtful you'll do it a second time... I didn't.

Even w longer (18-19") barrels you're gonna want a hand on top, opposite of a pump-gun. Most doubles have a splinter fore end, not much grip there.