JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't catch the specific model, but it was from the results after googling "Canik TP9SF".

In reference to the question if the "split trigger" is the drop safety, no that's the trigger safety. On a Glock frame there's an actual "protrusion" that pops up to block the striker from ever going forward, as you pull the trigger that "protrusion" is pulled down into the frame so the striker can spring forward once the sear breaks. This makes the Glock (for instance) "drop safe".

Please just make sure you do your research on this potential issue to see what's what! ;)

Last Edited:
So I picked up my TP9 v2 today. The trigger felt horribly gritty at first but after about a hundred rounds, things smoothed out completely. The friction was coming from the firing pin and spring. I guess that takes a little breaking in. The DA is fairly heavy, but the SA feels nice and the reset is short. DA/SA is surprisingly easy for two quick shots. I'm new to DA/SA as all my other guns are one or the other. But I really like that it's got restrike capability. That makes dry firing a breeze. The takedown buttons are very easy to release. The decocker is easy to use but hard to accidently press. And the slide stop lever is about the easiest to use of all my guns. That's always a problem for new students (I teach Basic Pistol) so I think I'll start people with this gun from now on. The sights are really good, far better than say Glock stock sights for example. Three dot with a center line in the rear site that lines up with the front sight. That's a nice touch. I don't remember seeing that before. I ran about 100 rounds of Federal through it without a hitch. I hate to say it, but I might end up liking this gun more than my G17. And it's over $200 cheaper. And comes with a holster.

canik-day-1.jpg

Edit: WHOOPs, guess I missed that post right above mine...

With regards to the Canik: If you're thinking of buying one but think you might want something more in the Glock G19 size... WAIT. The new "TP9SF Elite" got leaked by a certain fairly well known Youtuber and it looks pretty sweet if not a bit confusing (looks to have BOTH an American style mag release and a Euro-style paddle) and his comment is that it's going to be slightly different from what he shows when it hits the US but they're once again calling for a RETAIL price of under $400 I thought, maybe right at $400... If Canik continues to learn and build on this platform as they have from V1-SA models and even from the SA to SF model this gun should be pretty dam awesome. Then there's also the SFx that they were showing around and as much as I don't need a "budget race gun" I would like a long-slide TP9-SA with an RDS mount from the factory, that'd be cool, especially seeing as they were quoting something like $450 Street...

Here's a picture of the new gun, the "SF Elite".
C07CEC82-B9C4-41DC-A8CB-839CFC325178-72689.jpg
And here's a video of it:

Per the current guns and the DA video: I've also seen that same "drop AD" vid and I want to say it's a V1 gun, but it may well be an SA/V2/SF gen pistol, I can't remember now. I have however been doing some reading up on the V2 DA/SA triggered gun and there are, apparently, some known issues with the V2 model specifically where the trigger stops engaging the sear/FP correctly at high round-counts and leads to all kinds of weird misfires/dead-trigger issues. The same group who had the initial failure that lead to my further investigation, however, still glowingly recommend the SA and SF models and I've had the same experience with mine: Nothing but reliable, practical functionality.

Canik makes a VERY good pistol bottom line. I have other, metal-framed, Caniks as well that are amazing guns too and again, dirt-cheap (although getting harder to find). 2 are CZ Clones, the P-120 and T-120, and the Shark FC is a factory comp'd Baby Desert Eagle clone. All are reliable, accurate and comfortable to shoot.

I got to shoot mine for the first time this last weekend. everything went off with out a hitch and had a blast shooting it until my wife asked me if I got a new pistol? I pretty sure my face spoke volumes so I just smiled and said yep its our new home defense pistol. :eek::D
Thats why I buy all black guns lol so the wife can't tell if it's new or not.

I've handled the Canik, but not put any rounds down range. They don't feel the same as say an HK, but its also 1/3rd the price. That being said, Canik is also a ISO 9001 compliant company that builds things for the aerospace industry as well, so that, combined with the reviews we're seeing (for the most part), it certainly seems to worth considering. About the only area where its lacking is aftermarket support (holsters, sights, etc). That will probably change to some degree in the future.

IIRC, some of the first ones had issues with the magazine was rubbing the bottom of the slide, but that issue has been resolved. Some people had heartburn over the 'decocker,' which does legitimately act as a 'kill switch,' completely disabling the pistol. That being said, a. the button is NOT easily/inadvertantly depressed. It's such that it takes a pretty direct and properly applied pressure to get the decocker to function. If you don't push it straight down properly, it generally won't work. Also, it sprung pretty well...it takes more than breathing hard on it to get down. Also, it doesn't require a full retraction/cycle of the slide to reset the striker, but only a short partial pull to get it back into firing capacity. And lastly, lets face it, there's those that could probably benefit from being trained in 'before you clean the gun, push this button...' Would probably prevent more than one ND.

Other than that, I believe these are very near the top of the value chain if you're looking for a double stack polymer 9, particularly if you like breaking away from mainstream, and don't want to be yet another Glock or M&P owner on the range. They come with some nice 'starter' basics...holster, etc. They also now have several versions...including the DA/SA, or the SA with or without the Decocker, as well as longer slided 'practical/tactical' styled version.

I could easily see myself picking up a couple in the next year as plinker and/or muddy/rainy range day-type training guns.

BOSS

I could easily see myself picking up a couple in the next year as plinker and/or muddy/rainy range day-type training guns.

Just do it! you won't regret it. After being a dealer for 20 years, I've had $4000 pistols that were not any better than $500 pistols. When it comes to the Canik, I was skeptical at first, then I torture tested them. Now I own more than one of every model, and none of them are for sale.
I would definitely pick over the M&P, the Glock though would be a hard choice as I have never been let down by one. If you want to shoot the living bubblegum out of one of mine, I'd be happy to meet you at Johnson Creek Gun club, let the torture test continue,

E

Some people had heartburn over the 'decocker,' which does legitimately act as a 'kill switch,' completely disabling the pistol.

With the v2, the decocker puts the gun in double action. It's no longer a kill switch. I'm guessing this thread is really about the v2 since the title says, "THE NEW CANIK" even though it still says, "TP9SF."

And yes, the decocker would be hard to hit accidentally. I shoot it a lot DA only, and I just reach up with my off hand thumb and push it.

I just ordered the TP9SF last week. I'm looking to get into 3-gun, and this seems to be a really affordable yet seemingly solid way to get going with it. High capacity mags with lots of availability as well. Not stoked on the serpa style holster, but found this and will probably spring for it:

Level II Gun Holster

I'll surely document my experience with the handgun.

Just got my Canik TP9SF last week and took it out. Put about 100 rounds through it. Right of the box it's great! Awesome trigger, really accurate, easy to shoot, easy to load. Really short and fast reset, actually surprised me the first time I was trying to work it. I even dig the holster that came with it. Magazine loader is nice, two 18rd magazines is nice... I can't think of anything negative to say about this firearm!

This is one hell of a deal for the price.

Looking forward to when the SFx is around again.

Just got my Canik TP9SF last week and took it out. Put about 100 rounds through it. Right of the box it's great! Awesome trigger, really accurate, easy to shoot, easy to load. Really short and fast reset, actually surprised me the first time I was trying to work it. I even dig the holster that came with it. Magazine loader is nice, two 18rd magazines is nice... I can't think of anything negative to say about this firearm!

This is one hell of a deal for the price.

Looking forward to when the SFx is around again.
How long did it take to get to you? And where did you order it from?