JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It seems that you're over complicating this, perhaps there is more to the story...

An 07 will have an excise tax on the manufacturing. It's more than just snapping together, there is a report to file and fees to pay Uncle Sam.

Simplest solution, unless you have specific reason for skipping the "buy the lower" part (non resident, age, etc)

Buy the completed lower. Attach the completed upper. Its now a rifle. Take to any FFL and transfer your rifle.

It seems that you're over complicating this, perhaps there is more to the story...

An 07 will have an excise tax on the manufacturing. It's more than just snapping together, there is a report to file and fees to pay Uncle Sam.

Simplest solution, unless you have specific reason for skipping the "buy the lower" part (non resident, age, etc)

Buy the completed lower. Attach the completed upper. Its now a rifle. Take to any FFL and transfer your rifle.
Thank you for the response, I was asking for under 21 buyers and in Washington looking at sales after I-1639 takes effect. How is the excise tax calculated, how much paperwork and fees are we talking about?

Thank you for the response, I was asking for under 21 buyers and in Washington looking at sales after I-1639 takes effect. How is the excise tax calculated, how much paperwork and fees are we talking about?

Excise taxes are calculated on the total value of the gun...its kind of murky, but with specific murky guidelines. Paperwork, well, the government loves it...they even have that paperwork reduction act thing, printed on an extra 6 pages of every federal document :)

What I read here, is suggesting intent to manufacture, to circumvent state and federal laws. That becomes a problem with the ATF, as well as state prosecutors. Do it once, not really an issue. Do it numerous times and you're "engaged in the business", that's where the the criminal liability arises.

Excise taxes are calculated on the total value of the gun...its kind of murky, but with specific murky guidelines. Paperwork, well, the government loves it...they even have that paperwork reduction act thing, printed on an extra 6 pages of every federal document :)

What I read here, is suggesting intent to manufacture, to circumvent state and federal laws. That becomes a problem with the ATF, as well as state prosecutors. Do it once, not really an issue. Do it numerous times and you're "engaged in the business", that's where the the criminal liability arises.
The criminal liability issue doesn't sound good. Thanks again for the info.

Two more questions if you don't mind. Assuming that restrictions in I-1639 took effect on Jan 1, 2019, is there any reason why Oregon FFL's couldn't ignore it and sell rifles as usual to otherwise non-prohibited WA buyers? Do you see a situation brewing where WA buyers will no longer be able to purchase semi-auto firearms or any other long guns in Oregon in the near future?

Per the BATFE the purchase must be legal in both the state of purchase AND the state of residency of the buyer.
From the BATFE website;

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?
Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser's State of residence and the licensee's State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Per the BATFE the purchase must be legal in both the state of purchase AND the state of residency of the buyer.
From the BATFE website;

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?
Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser's State of residence and the licensee's State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]
Good info, thank you.

Ya know arakboss you might just dl atf 5300.4, reference guide, in pdf, so you could word search the document yourself.

If you discern you have a query on a particular nuance regarding applicability or subject matter is unclear due to a lack of understanding of the totality of how the nunance might fit into the scheme of things, then you could ask.

Further, I am quite sure you are under the impression gleaning the myriad of responses to the same generalized question [1639 related; < 21; how bout uppers/lowers; what if/this/that scenario(s)] asked multiple ways from forum members might, in the case of judicial actions suffice to alleviate said judicial ramifications, it won't.

1639 and it's myriad of nuances, is completely uncharted territory for all concerned and even after the issue(s) run the judicial gauntlet, someone somewhere will whine and start the stupid initiative over again.

Ya know.....Midway has Poly80 ar lowers for $65....just sayin'.
That is a good option available to 18-20 crowd for those who have the skill to carve (t-day pun) one of these up right. I expect that option could be done away with when the legislature get's together this spring. It is definitely on the anti-gunners radar.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top