JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been reading lately that it takes three feet of dirt to stop gamma radiation. Makes me wish I had bought a house with a basement. I've been reading about Russia lately. In 05 or so they ran a simulated nuclear attack on the US. I'm sure we do the same in return but us doing it comforts me... Them doing it worries me. I'm not interested in hearing any bravado or any "I want a beer and a lawn chair to watch the fireworks" comments please. I'm interested in any knowledge experienced or well read people have. Thank you.

Sewage system move contaminates down stream. How long do you expect to need the shielding? I believe shielding is measured by the density of the shield. Cast iron is dense. However if there is time available you could park a truck over the hole. (Much easier than hauling three foot of dirt into the house):D

My "street" - a private road - has no manholes.

Many manholes are welded shut.

I guess you will either have to start digging or haul in some dirt:D. Or locate a manhole that is open and not too deep for a short stay. Lids can be hard to remove but most just pull up if you make yourself a tool to go down one of the holes. Worked on the roads for many years and damn few have welded lids. Lots of underground stations along our streets that can be opened with a wrench too.o_O

Last Edited:
I have plenty of dirt.

My neighbor talked to me about going in halvsies on an excavator. He wanted to dig out a "wine cellar". I wanted a "root cellar", but I decided not to.

When I retire in about 5 years I will move further out, and build a new house. The house will be at least partially earth bermed. I plan to have a safe room or two or three, and a pantry, and such, at the back of the shop, which will be attached to the house and be earth bermed also.

I am less concerned about nuclear war than I am about having a good secure place to put stuff when I am away from the house. At least one of the rooms would be built with extra rebar on all walls and maybe steel plate cladding, and a safe door (maybe a blast door) that can be opened from the inside, possibly with a secondary emergency exit from the back of the room. I would keep firearms and emergency supplies in there, and have a HEPA filter system and so on.

As it would be facing away from Portland and would be about 60 miles away, it should be adequate, but you never know - a stray bomb could miss the metro area and drop right on top of me. In which case, nothing would do much good.

What I find interesting is in the old days they said get a couple of saw horses or tables then put doors on top of them then cover the doors with dirt to protect yourself. Now days if the blast hasn't killed you I would put on a good dust mask and full covering clothes take some iodine pills and hike to a non contaminated area.

Gama particles have a long shelf life so no sense in staying there and getting exposed constantly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top