JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
went to buy myself a new handgun today and found out my drivers license has expired when they went to do the background check (why the dmv didn't send a notice I don't know)
I say uh oh, and then ask if I can just use my CHL as identification. They say no, drivers license only. Which makes no sense. All the information is the same, they are both government issued with photo.
I'll get the license taken care of next week but I just wanted to get this done today since I'm off work.

Gov. ID with photo is supposed to work.

Gov. document with address should work for verification of address - I mention this because I used my ODL for purchasing a rifle last week, and the address had rubbed off the sticker they gave me when I changed my address, so I used my car registration for the address.

I thought when I got mine they said that it was good for nothing other than being a CHL. It has been a while so maybe that isn't accurate. They won't accept it at the airport as ID.

LOL my CHL is the most accessible form of ID in my wallet, i went to buy ammo and since i shaved that day i got carded. lady said it had to be gov. issued ID. i said umm my handgun license is gov. issued. she said well its not on 'the list' of acceptable identification. i said oh? please show me 'the list' i would like to see what it says. she rolled her eyes then just rang me up and let me go after that.

LOL my CHL is the most accessible form of ID in my wallet, i went to buy ammo and since i shaved that day i got carded. lady said it had to be gov. issued ID. i said umm my handgun license is gov. issued. she said well its not on 'the list' of acceptable identification. i said oh? please show me 'the list' i would like to see what it says. she rolled her eyes then just rang me up and let me go after that.
Why would you get carded for buying ammo?

I am 61+ and I got carded some months ago - I forget what for since I never buy tobacco or booze. Maybe it was ammo I bought in the summer at Bi-mart? I think they just card everybody then they don't have to say they didn't. It was rifle and shotgun ammo too - no handgun ammo IIRC. :rolleyes:

Then go back and rub it in their face.
Meh.

1) They won't care - you will just be one more ***hole customer among many to them.

2) There are too many idiots in the world to waste any more time with them. Go somewhere that someone cares about their job and knows it. This is one reason why I generally won't buy firearms at box stores; I shouldn't necessarily expect them to know anything about firearms or firearms laws. At least at a gun shop I expect them to know this stuff, and if they don't, I won't give them my business.

Some places (like Walmart) have a warning pop up on the tellers screen when an age controlled product is scanned.

The screen comes up and prompts the teller to check ID and they have to confirm they did to proceed. Anyone with any sense will just click the damn button if the person is obviously 50, however there is a large chunk of folks at registers who have no sense and cant see past what the machine tells them to do.

I dont fault them, Its most likely not their fault they have the acumen of a sack of rocks.

The one I thing that is nuts... The ammo warning at Walmart prompts the teller to ask if it is handgun ammo. If you answer yes you get carded. (must be 18 by federal law to purchase) If you answer no then you just buy it.

I am pretty sure if you where buying .25 auto and said no, not carded, If you where buying .338 Lapua and answered yes you would.

And if you don't have they will not sell it to you even thought you are obviously old enough. IMO that is bull****.
They are just practicing CYA in that case.

Someone who is 61+, balding and has a grey beard is obviously old enough to buy anything in any store - but they are just protecting their minimum wage job and having BTDT I can appreciate their position as they are probably on the razor's edge of making a living.

I've been poor, I've worked dead end poorly paying jobs when I was young, trying to support a family - I know how hard it is. I always say "please" and "thank you" to people in those jobs because I know their life is hard enough without being an ***hole to them (like my ex-wife always is, but then she is that way to everybody - especially if she doesn't get what she wants).

If I don't get what I want or need, if one of them is an idiot, or can't do their job correctly, I just move on and get what I want somewhere else. Maybe their manager told them to always do something someway and they actually do know better, but their manager is an idiot. I don't know. It isn't worth wasting my time either trying to figure it out, educate them, or convince them otherwise. Move on - life is too short.

Meh.

1) They won't care - you will just be one more ***hole customer among many to them.

2) There are too many idiots in the world to waste any more time with them. Go somewhere that someone cares about their job and knows it. This is one reason why I generally won't buy firearms at box stores; I shouldn't necessarily expect them to know anything about firearms or firearms laws. At least at a gun shop I expect them to know this stuff, and if they don't, I won't give them my business.

This was at bi mart which I've never bought a gun from. I had previously went to cabelas today and they apparently where to busy to even acknowledge my existence.
As far as I know bi mart is pretty much the cheapest in the area for handguns. They were 75 dollars cheaper than cabelas.
It was fine up till the did you know your license is expired...no I didn't, here use this (chl) oh god no we cant use thato_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top