JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
in the game they're not talking about shooting downhill or uphill they're talkin about rotating the rifle barrel 45 degrees to the right or left

View attachment 608305

I was referring to the claim that someone shot at an extreme angle with a canted scope (the word for what that picture of a scope is doing) and hit a deer at 700 yards.

A canted scope will shoot off to the side it's angled away from plumb by a lot, even inside 100 yards.

That is a gaming only thing. In the real world you would keep the rifle level as you leaned out. Even people who play paintball do that, no one ever leans out at an angle that knows anything about ballistics or basic physics.

I understand that but you brought up a video game and are comparing to real life shooting. The two do not go together at least not for most on this forum. I guess there could be a few mall ninja's in here but it is not the majority.

I'm sure this is just a matter of 'manner of speaking' yet some of the posts seem to imply 'gravity' changes .....

My own studies can not confirm such hypothesis. What has become nearly inarguable, is the practical effects of alignment of the axis of bore and actual "POA" from scope alignment in that same plane. Trajectory of the slug remains that same in relation to powder charge, various friction aspects, and wind/gravitation etc.

The error of mistaking 'windage' vs 'elevation' adjustments have been widely studied independent of rotation of the firearm at moment of primer ignition. That assuredly does not affect the actual trajectory of the slug as it moves downrange.

What does change, is the "POI" as numerous positional sighting relationships have been altered in relation to the axis of the bore. IMHO. And the longer the range the greater the variation from 'standard upright sighting position' the POI will be.

As the man say, 'convince me that I'm wrong'o_O

A long wile ago , I taught my neighbor's son how to shoot.
We went over the basics of safety and handling...
Then we practiced loading and unloading...
And off we went to go shoot...

So there he was shooting a single shot .22 rifle at a clay bird , 'bout 25 yards away...
Pow , he shoots and hits the bird...which of course flies apart...
He smiles , then asks all serious like :

"Andy , why didn't the bird disappear...?"
"What do ya mean , you hit and it blew apart"...says I .
"Well , in my game the bodies disappear after you shoot 'em"...he tells me...
"In real life , bodies just don't disappear after they get shot ." I tell him...

After some thought he then asked :
"So you had to deal with the bodies , when you were in the war..?"
"Yes "was my reply...
"That sucks...I am sorry "...
Very true I tell him , and thanks....

Then very profoundly he asks :
"War isn't like a video game...why do people go to war..?"
Not bad thinking for a 10 year old.
Andy

A long wile ago , I taught my neighbor's son how to shoot.
We went over the basics of safety and handling...
Then we practiced loading and unloading...
And off we went to go shoot...

So there he was shooting a single shot .22 rifle at a clay bird , 'bout 25 yards away...
Pow , he shoots and hits the bird...which of course flies apart...
He smiles , then asks all serious like :

"Andy , why didn't the bird disappear...?"
"What do ya mean , you hit and it blew apart"...says I .
"Well , in my game the bodies disappear after you shoot 'em"...he tells me...
"In real life , bodies just don't disappear after they get shot ." I tell him...

After some thought he then asked :
"So you had to deal with the bodies , when you were in the war..?"
"Yes "was my reply...
"That sucks...I am sorry "...
Very true I tell him , and thanks....

Then very profoundly he asks :
"War isn't like a video game...why people go to war..?"
Not bad thinking for a 10 year old.
Andy

Probably smarter than most people between the ages of 18-24:oops:

All joking aside I suspect some of our 19 year old soldiers in the US army and Marines actually learned some valuable skills in some of these games before going into combat but probably developed some bad habits the drill instructor had to beat out of them also.

Tactics can be taught outside of combat, marksmanship however requires practice in shooting to become proficient.

It's relatively well known that video games can contribute to people thinking in a more strategic manner, especially if the game they plays require to do so.

There was news a while ago stating to the effect that soldiers who played FPS style video games on average had better strategical and tactical awareness than those who on average who didn't.

I don't think a scoped rifle "cares" about anything being an inanimate object and all. It is up to the shooter to comprehend POA/POI and how it relates to cant, slope, range, wind and a bunch of other factors with varying degrees of impact.

What I dislike about FPS games , comes from a personal perspective , and therefore highly subjective...

But having shot at and shot people for real...FPS games , hold no interest for me whatsoever...nor do I think that they have anything to contribute to when one has to do that for real.
YMMV...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews