Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

does a PA-63 (hungarian Makarov) shoot regular old 9mm ammo?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RallySoob, Mar 31, 2011.

1. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

confused about what ammo this pistol shoots exactly. I'm reading it shoots 9x18 and I believe regular 9mm ammo these days is 9x19. so does it shoot a hard to find ammo or what?

FEG PA-63 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. RallySoob

okay now I realize it is indeed not shooting the standard 9mm ammo as I know it. It's an old 9mm round...i get it

3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The 9 x 18 is a Soviet service pistol round for the Makarov pistol. Other 9 x 18 gun designs were manufactured by other com block nations, such as the PA-63

The bullet and bore diameter are slightly larger than a 9MM or .380

Power level is a bit higher than the .380 auto but not to the 9MM Luger level. Surplus ammo is readily available and cheap

4. RallySoob

but not so available you can just pick some up at your local bi-mart or whatever right?

5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Not always true. It is worth checking!

6. Blitzkrieg

Due to all the surplus guns that have flooded the market, many gun shops now stock it. Your best deal will be to buy sealed surplus military ball ammo in tins via the internet/phone

7. RallySoob

I found one of these guns for 120$. Its in what looks like great condition. I'm pondering whether or not to buy it as a truck pistol or whatever. I'm thinking if he will take 100 I might go for it

8. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

Rally Snoob, Look for a Makarov instead, better pistol, actually can be had for under $200.00. The standard eastern block pistol, built like tanks. Next also are the eastern bloc pistols. Try J&G firearms, look at CZ surplus or Makarov. Spad

9. Blitzkrieg

Agree.. the Makarov and CZ pistols are all steel and far tougher guns.. I would still buy that 63 @ $100 for a BUG or loaner