JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An interesting experiment would be shooting next to a solid wall - made of a material which reflects as close to 100% as possible. The reflected sound would create an interference pattern with the original waves. There should be a distance where sound would suddenly drop then spike again.

I guess that's why there's stippling on drywall and ceiling. Breaks up reflected waves.

An interesting experiment would be shooting next to a solid wall - made of a material which reflects as close to 100% as possible. The reflected sound would create an interference pattern with the original waves. There should be a distance where sound would suddenly drop then spike again.

I guess that's why there's stippling on drywall and ceiling. Breaks up reflected waves.
I read recently that a typical gunshot goes from about 800 hz to 4,000 hz, which would translate to wavelengths from about 3 to 16 inches. there's a bit of math between that and how far to be from the wall, but it sounds like it should be just a few inches. Then again, there's probably an acoustics expert here who can tell us how I'm wrong about everything I just typed. :D But anyway it's fun to think about.

edit: sp

Last Edited:
I read recently that a typical gunshot goes from about 800 hz to 4,000 hz, which would translate to wavelengths from about 3 to 16 inches. there's a bit of math between that and how far to be from the wall, but it sounds like it should be just a few inches. Then again, there's probably an acoustics expert here who can tell us how I'm wrong about everything I just typed. :D But anyway it's fun to think about.

If you could fart at the proper time/frequency, you could be your own noise-cancelling system.

The NRA did some research along those lines for competitive shooting. Here's a photo of one of the early testers, Stinky Winkerbean III, and his modified Schutenpooper Mk IV.

1659711520744.png

Research was halted when someone spiked Stinky's cabbage soup with Dulcolax.

You are correct. The equation for the surface area of a sphere is 4/3*pi*r^3. The reduction in noise or air pressure would the inverse. A reduction of 1/pi*r^3 is pretty significant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top