JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First let me say, "safety is not binary, it is a process."

With that said, holstering your handgun is likely the least safe aspect of administrative handling with any handgun. And one least considered by many handgunners.

For the Glock, the addition of a Striker Control Device brings another fail-safe layer to the reholstering process.

The links below explain the safety enhancement value of the Striker Control Device in greater detail:

All the subcompact glocks need the same minimum upgrades IMHO...

1. Pinky Extensions on all your mags. without this i'd kick em to the curb, it makes that much of a difference. I have the +1 pinky extensions, the +0 are the same size without the extra slug.
2. Extended Slide Release.
3. Extended Mag Release.
4. Night, Low Light Sights.
5. Recoil Spring based Laser sight is good too. (not a must have but i like it)
6. Unless you only carry in perfect conditions...Hogue or Pachmayr Grip/Tactical Sleeve, or something simular, any plastic gun needs some kind of rubber grips of some sort in rain, high humidty, or mud. And Most plastic guns do not have removable grips, which sucks.
7. Barrel, Porting or Trigger is a personal preference, I left that bubblegum alone it works for me.

I've had the G26, G27 and G36, I kept the G36 and carry it everyday as my bug to my 1911 doublestack.

I've got a few Glocks; one is a 17 that has a KKM barrel and a professionally smoothed out trigger along with some other goodies. It is an incredibly accurate and good shooting gun but the trigger is never what I would call "crisp", although it is about as good as it gets for a Glock. My other Glocks all have at a minimum a Ghost connector. It's an inexpensive upgrade that helps the trigger pull feel a bit. That said, when I shoot my CZ hammer-fired pistol that has a CZ Custom trigger/hammer upgrade, it really spoils it for when I shoot a Glock again. Glocks are what they are; very reliable utilitarian lightweight guns. But the trigger, by both design and manufacture, will never be great. It can be improved, but it's still a Glock trigger.

Upgrade the sights to a kind that you like.

Glock triggers do suck for anybody used to a good trigger. I was used to a custom Para 2011 single action trigger, so it's been real hard to adapt.

But a 25cent trigger job that you can do for yourself will help smooth things out incredibly. Mine did.

Then much later I bought a JohnnyGlocks complete drop in trigger thinking it would be great for competition and it just hasn't resulted in a crisp trigger. It's smooth, has a well defined wall, but the trigger press from the wall is still too long and I can still feel the grit where the striker is being pulled back inside the plastic striker channel.

As mentioned, Glock Perfection means that they just work... every time they will work as long as you don't try to smith it beyond what you should/shouldn't. One really can't expect Glocks to feel like something else that they aren't.

I shot in GSSF so tried to keep my Glocks as OEM as possible. Sub-compacts get the pinkie extension and all get a OEM (-) connector and the 25 cent polish job. My last Glock is a Gen 5 G19 and all I've done to it is the connector and polish and it has a 4lb trigger that is amazing (for a Glock) and is incredibly accurate.

One with big hands might feel the gun more comfortable to hold and shoot with the famed pinky extension. The web is full of resources saying the Glock's factory trigger sucks. They invariably have inconstient pull or they are spongy or creepy and not crisp or they are too heavy. Is an Apex trigger kit the ticket for a trigger that feels "just right" each and every time? Should your valuable defensive Glock be left to a professional Glocksmith for any serious trigger job? Does a Glock really need an aftermarket extractor or ejector?

Does any brand spanking new Glock need a break-in at the range? Is it best to start switching to aftermarket parts once the Glock has been fired awhile stone stock out of the box?

I don't believe in monkeying with things more than necessary. For safety sake, I don't think the Glock's trigger should be any lighter than the trigger pull typical of a revolver in S/A mode. 5-6 pounds. It should be crisp, predictable and consistent each and every pull.

The new Glock 26 is something called Gen 5 , I believe. Is Gen 5 now the peak of Glock Perfection that it really needs no internal fiddling to get it right on the money? :rolleyes:
Trade it for a Beretta
And quick, before you suck a bunch of money into it?!!!!

Ok so it's a Gen 5. If it was an earlier Gen, like a Gen3, I'd say replace the trigger connector to a "-" to change the angle and make it a smoother trigger. However, I replaced my connector on my Gen5 G17 with the "-" connector and I did not like it. The factory trigger as is, it is very nice for what it is. I would recommend a polish job however... just to smooth things out (lots of videos on YouTube on how to do a 25 cent polish job).

Also, if you have factory sights, I'd replace it with good quality night sight. I personally like XS and Ameriglo. XS is really easy to install (the rear sight).

I would strongly avoid aftermarket parts because too many have reliability issues after going aftermarket. If I can upgrade with factory parts, I am for it.

You should sell it to someone else who is really a glock fan boi and then find a taurus g3c to fulfill your edc desires. Use the savings for new sights and ammunition. Not your fathers taurus, you yootoobers know, happy holloween francis,

The 3.5 connector goes in all the Glocks that I have and will ever buy. I would add three-dot sights, but I've trained hard on the stock sights before moving on to an RMR for it and a whole other platform for other reasons.

I may consider a flat-face trigger (just the trigger) to lessen the time-to-wall in regards to trigger slack, but aside from that, I don't change readily anything else. I swipe the slide on reloads, so I don't change usually change the release on mine, and I don't see the point to extended magazine releases. The Glock release isn't like the P-10C, and if you want the ability to swipe down or outwards on the release, buy a CZ for that feature.

The bottom line is that Glock does, with every generation, the bare minimum to upgrade and nearly all of the "upgrades" are cosmetic. If you want what the Glock should be, then buy a CZ P-10C. I've messed with dozens of Glocks and they were the primary sidearm for nearly 10-years before the P-10 came out. It has the right trigger, the proper three-dots (half of the options are Tritium), the right grip profile (not necessarily angle for all), a hellish texture for that bloody grip-positive, etc. The bare-minimum, most expensive, absolutely have-to-have upgrade on the P-10C TB that I needed was a Surefire X-300U-B weaponlight. So, as today's prices, the ballpark on those two things is around $700-ish.

Now... my Glock? The current EDC that I run. With it understood that this is a somewhat ungodly self-defense EDC setup, but also that it's built from an ungodly amount of rounds put downrange on the STOCK platform over 12-years...

image0.jpg

Glock-19 G4 Standard (bought not long after release) - $515
Surefire X-300U-B - $275
Trijicon Type-2 RMR -$525

Aftermarket RDS-capable slide - $250-ish
SilencerCo TB - $175-ish
The 3.5lb Connector - $12
Extended Backplate Racker - Gifted
Vickers Extended Slide Release - Gifted
Trigger - Stock, No Upgrade
Mag Release - Stock
Mag-Well Guide - Stock

Total - $1,752-ish

This, compared to a CZ P-10C Suppressor-Ready (which comes with raised Trit three-dots and a threaded barrel), a Surefire X-300U-B, a steel guide spring rod, and NO other "required" internal upgrades. Call the base cost at roughly $400 for the sidearm (some distributors are running them less than that) and you're at around $700 with the light after taxes.

The aftermarket parts alone ran the ballpark of $1,237 BEFORE the holster gear (G-Code Holsters: INCOG, Eclipse [IWBs] and OSL [OWB]). And, that's without a snazzy trigger. You're talking at least another $200 there. Will Karma be bending my wallet over the kitchen counter if I have to shoot someone in a self-defense scenario? Yes. And, that is completely understood. Anybody who runs something that expensive needs to understand that -- whether it be an equivalent tuned-up package or a more expensive baseline sidearm -- or they need to go back to the less expensive, baseline models before they get their feelings hurt. To put it into perspective, I've met three people previously whose concealed EDCs were H&K Mark-23s simply because they could both financially and physically.

So, the takeaway points, full disclosure, and my understanding that I don't know OP's background on this;
1. If you want Glock perfection? Don't buy a Glock. To diminish my CZ fanboy-sounding post, I've heard that the Walther PPQ and H&K VP9 is just as good as the P-10. I can't personally confirm that. I know the trigger is as good, but my survey size of PPQs and VP9s is two a-piece verse all the rounds downrange comparing the P-10C to the G19.
2. Baseline upgrades for the Glock? I'd tell you to do it like I did. Run the hell out of the baseline model and get used to the garbage before upgrading. It's the same mindset as seen with people who never change their MilSpec triggers on their ARs. Shape your fundamentals on the baseline for a long time and you'll amaze yourself when you run a better setup later. If you still want to do the upgrade, get the 3.5lb connector, some three-dots and spend real money a light (do not go baseline / entry here). Tritium dots do NOT matter if you can't ID your target in low-light / night scenarios. And that's the other half of the day.
3. I'm a 27-year old civilian who worked with people (civ, and base INF/LE) for a bit as an RSO. No personal Mil/LE experience. Ran Glocks since I was 15 and all that. There's a lot of things to be said about that. It was easier for me than throwing a 40+ hardline minded person into this. I didn't have the preconceived notions that the older civilians do, but also don't have the experience of a 15-year SF guy who shot more than competition shooters ever have in a year. Compare that guy to an Army infantryman who doesn't have a preset dedication in firearms ownership / EDC mindset and I sit between the two. The everyday understanding that I could encounter a bad guy and the dedication to combatting that potential eventuality is important. Period. You can see that in a standard range trip if you compared those three types of people on any given day. The civilian boomers scoff at me and I outshoot them nine times out of ten. Scepticism is understood and expected for me.
4. "So, dude, why are you carrying around that pimped-out Glock if you've got such a hard-on for the CZ?" -- G-Code doesn't make a holster for my P-10 yet and I'm going to end up milling the slide. The T-Rex Arms light-capable holster that I have isn't remotely close to a G-Code, and that in my opinion is the best brand of IWB holsters on the market for concealed EDC. The slide has to be shipped out for milling. What I will end up carrying after that remains to be seen.
5. Figure out what mainstream caliber is still on your shelves right now. For my area, it seems to be .40 S&W. To the point where, if I still had a .40 Glock, I would be able to shoot the hell out of it to keep up with my fundamentals under recoil. Buy a secondary gun for that purpose if your finances allow for it and train in your basement as much as you can dry. I haven't seen a shortage of .22s this time around, so... If you absolutely can't, then maybe look into one of those SIRT laser guns for a positive data read-back. You want to be able to see what you're doing in trigger press and all your other fundamentals. Focusing on that diminishes your need to go-Gucci until way down the road and if you even want to.

Glock is the only manufacturer that I completely trust. I would have no problem buying one, putting a round in the chamber, and tucking it away in my waistband. I have full confidence in them. The only thing I would swap is the iron sights. You will see a ton of Gucci glocks but if you dump that kind of money into a Glock don't ever expect to see it again. I know from experience.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top