JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many of you may be as interested in the SLEP program as I am. I have been itching to read the details of this for a long time. If you are unfamiliar with this it is a program where the DOD had the FDA research the ACTUAL shelf life of 122 drugs used by the DOD. The DOD couldnt bare to replace all of its drugs just because of the expiration dates. Now since they keep this info away from the public it is hard to find this report on their findings.

I have discovered an article where they discuss many of the findings and below you will find a summary of what I was able to learn from it.

First the link.....

Drug Expiration Date - Expired Drugs and Precautions

Now MY summary which includes some assumptions not clearly spelled out.....

Ciprofloxacin 13 years
Doxycycline 7 years
Tetracycline Add 2
Aspirin 4+
Penicillin (Add 3)
Lidocaine (Add 6 )
Lactated Ringers (Add 6)
IV saline (They didn't test cuz it would look bad if GI Joe saw his IV expired 3 years ago) Assume add 6 years)
pralidoxime chloride (Anti chem poisoning auto injectors) 18 years
Diazepam (Valium) add 2
cimetidine, ( Tagamet) add 2
phenytoin, ( Dilantin) add 2

NO ADDITIONAL EXTENSION ALLOWED:
Water Purification tablets
Mefloquine
Insulin
Liquid antibiotics
Nitroglycerin

ALSO: I found this link which seems like it MAY be a site where a person could pay $5.99 for a months member ship and download the FDA findings on 122 drugs. I have not done it but it looks promising.

Stability profiles of drug products extended beyond labeled expiration dates | DeepDyve

CYBORG, Many thanks, I had saw part of this once before and had told myself I needed to find it and go through my animal anti-biotics, for my animals of course,:rolleyes:

and check the dates against this, I am sure it has been updated since I saw it last, I heard they have made bis buys in the last couple of years,

might at well spend the fiat money while it is good, :D

Maybe beyond the SLEP info that we might be able to get, we could share personal experiences with particular drugs or other medical items here on this thread and discuss their shelf lives and strength etc.

My wife is a Trauma Nurse in Seattle, has been for over 30 years. The doc's and pharmaceutical reps say that by sealing meds in a food saver type bag where 02 is void or heat sealed bag with a 02 Absorber added and the put in a freezer adds 5+ years to any shelf life.
The meds that do break down fastest are the cycline, tetra and doxy. Don't play storage games with insulin!
In case of a power outage, long term, out of freezer into styrofoam container and buried.

Many thanks Cyborg!

This is great info. My veterinarian gave me a list of animal medications that are the same or equal to those prescribeded to humans. She also said the shelf life is far greater than what is listed if the medicine is stored in a cool dry location away from light.

I have a friend who is an insulin taking diabetic and she has found info on surviving SHTF without a long term supply of insulin. I will try and get this info and post it soon.

My wife is a Trauma Nurse in Seattle, has been for over 30 years. The doc's and pharmaceutical reps say that by sealing meds in a food saver type bag where 02 is void or heat sealed bag with a 02 Absorber added and the put in a freezer adds 5+ years to any shelf life.
The meds that do break down fastest are the cycline, tetra and doxy. Don't play storage games with insulin!
In case of a power outage, long term, out of freezer into styrofoam container and buried.

I would more info on this if available either public or by PM

I keep my animal meds in the box they came in, on my cool basement floor in the corner,

I should think about stocking some meds. Advil might not fix everything :). I do believe in the affects of MMS Water for bacterial and viral infections because of what I've seen with my own eyes and what it has done for me when I've got severely ill. I also take B17/seeds everyday so I don't have to suffer cancer some day (yes, I know - that horrible poison that might kill me lol); it hasn't in eight years; I'm just one of those kooks who believes cancer was cured 55 years ago. When there are billions/trillions to be made in treatments, there will never be a 'cure.'

I should think about stocking some meds. Advil might not fix everything :). I do believe in the affects of MMS Water for bacterial and viral infections because of what I've seen with my own eyes and what it has done for me when I've got severely ill. I also take B17/seeds everyday so I don't have to suffer cancer some day (yes, I know - that horrible poison that might kill me lol); it hasn't in eight years; I'm just one of those kooks who believes cancer was cured 55 years ago. When there are billions/trillions to be made in treatments, there will never be a 'cure.'

OK without showing all of my ignorance, I have not heard of this stuff beofre, but am reading up on it, does wlamart or sams or any place carry this or do I have to order it somehwere

Burt,

Care to share some info on MMS water and your B17/seed regimen? Myself I try to have at least one meal of nothing but raw veggies each day and limit my carb intake. That is my health regimen. The only supplements I take are a multivitamin twice a week and Udo's 3,6,9 Oil Blend everyday. I am open minded to hearing what others experiences with alt supplements and meds.

Do share... if you dont mind.

As far as proper storage temps go... it is my general belief that the overwhelming reason that refrigeration is often not recommended is because of the temp variations and the likely resulting condensation from opening and closing the door. My solution is to place my meds in a metal ammo can in a frig not frequently accessed. I place a large dessicant pkg inside of it. The metal can will stop most of the temp swings and the dessicant keeps the moisture level within the can dry enough that condensation is no problem.

So, no light, no temp swings, and no condensation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top