JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't see another thread on this, so I'm going to share this. I just read an article on this today and, if it holds true, should be great news for our military folks!

On November 18, the Pentagon issued a Defense Department directive that will "allow Department of Defense (D0D) personnel to carry firearms and employ deadly force while performing official duties."

Commanders, O-5 and above, "may grant permission to DoD personnel requesting to carry a privately owned firearm (concealed or open carry) on DoD property for a personal protection purpose not related to performance of an official duty or status," the document states.

Applicants must be 21 years of age or older, the age many states require an individual to be to own a firearm, according to the document. Proof of compliance may include a concealed handgun license that is valid under federal, state, local or host-nation law where the DoD property is located.

"Written permission will be valid for 90 days or as long as the DoD Component deems appropriate and will include information necessary to facilitate the carrying of the firearm on DoD property consistent with safety and security, such as the individual's name, duration of the permission to carry, type of firearm, etc.," according to the document.

Until now, DoD personnel have not been authorized to carry personal firearms on military installations, a policy that has come under scrutiny in the wake of "active-shooter" attacks at U.S. military bases resulting in the deaths of service members.

Two sources: DoD Releases Plan to Allow Personnel to Carry Firearms on Base | Military.com

Pentagon to End Gun-Free Zones on Military Bases - Breitbart

So, what do you think? A good step forward? Bad idea?

My personal opinion is that this is a good step in the right direction, but one that could perhaps be taken further to assure our bases are no longer a place where spineless cowards can go in, guns blazing, and our military folks are sitting ducks.

If the state trusts them, why not the feds?

If the military trusts them with weapons, why not?

Yeah, that never made sense to me. We train these folks to carry weapons in the defense of our country, but can't trust them to carry guns for their own self defense? That policy just needs to go away for good.

Yeah, that never made sense to me. We train these folks to carry weapons in the defense of our country, but can't trust them to carry guns for their own self defense? That policy just needs to go away for good.

OTOH, I knew people in the military I wouldn't trust with a weapon in their hands. But if it was up to me, I would have run them out of the service with a discharge instead of keeping them around as the military did.

In short, if there is someone in the military that you don't trust with a weapon, then they should not be in the military. And yes I know that two thirds of the people in the military are not in combat roles, but they have probably all been through at least a short range course, and if they had to, they may be at some time required to defend themselves in time of war. If they are not trustworthy with a firearm, then either discharge them or train them.

OTOH, I knew people in the military I wouldn't trust with a weapon in their hands. But if it was up to me, I would have run them out of the service with a discharge instead of keeping them around as the military did.

In short, if there is someone in the military that you don't trust with a weapon, then they should not be in the military. And yes I know that two thirds of the people in the military are not in combat roles, but they have probably all been through at least a short range course, and if they had to, they may be at some time required to defend themselves in time of war. If they are not trustworthy with a firearm, then either discharge them or train them.

That sounds more than reasonable to me.

I guess its a start, but the stipulations appear to leave a lot of interpretation to some politically motivated field grade officer. Gate security has become a joke. It makes sense to give your troops a chance while working in a low-security but high-value target.

When I was in the military (USCG) and afterwards (as part of my job) I visited a few Army and AF bases (besides USCG bases too) and IMO gate security was always pretty much a joke. A friend who was in flightline security (also guarded nuclear missle silos/etc.) called them "cardboard policeman" because when they were called away they would put up that fake standup poster of a guard at the gate.

I was not impressed and that was 30+ years ago.

When I was in the military (USCG) and afterwards (as part of my job) I visited a few Army and AF bases (besides USCG bases too) and IMO gate security was always pretty much a joke. A friend who was in flightline security (also guarded nuclear missle silos/etc.) called them "cardboard policeman" because when they were called away they would put up that fake standup poster of a guard at the gate.

I was not impressed and that was 30+ years ago.

No more DoD stickers needed, anyone in the vehicle with DoD ID can sponsor all occupants in any vehicle without a pass, many gates dont have armed guards. Instead of MPs or contract security, units are providing highly "motivated" soldiers to flip IDs. Its crazy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top