JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As was said, the seller sets the rules. Don't like them then buy somewhere else. Personally I want to see a DL and CPL that match. Any criminal can have a DL, but they usually won't have a CPL. That way I have some assurance that I'm not selling to a criminal with a record that disqualifies them from gun ownership. If that keeps someone from buying, then so be it.
So you require a person have a ccp to make a long gun trade or purchase from you ? Really

Bottom line is everybody has a different comfort level with gun sales.

I dont get why somebody would question a person's preferences or look down on them because they have a different preference.

If you are not comfortable with the sale requirements then pass on the sale...

I personally want to sleep better after a sale knowing i did my due diligence. the requirements are for my own peace of mind and not the buyers or other shoppers...

so many posts , I personally want to sleep better after a sale knowing i did my due diligence then for that to happen you should take it the a gun store and have them sell it for you
this way your not even in the picture

So you require a person have a ccp to make a long gun trade or purchase from you ? Really
Apparently, since I just moved here, I'm no different from a criminal, because I don't have a CPL, and won't for at least 60+ days.

Ain't that something. I have a MA LTC, which requires the chief of police to play proctologist, but because I just moved, I can't buy a new toy. :(

Wish those beliefs extended to certain aspects of WA law, or to most sellers.

Turns out I can't get a gun from a gunstore or a hunting license until 11/28. wth. I give up.

Wish those beliefs extended to certain aspects of WA law, or to most sellers.

Turns out I can't get a gun from a gunstore or a hunting license until 11/28. wth. I give up.

Why do you think you cannot get a firearm until 11/28? Do you have a WA drivers license? If not get one, then go to the FFL of your choice and purchase what you want. RCW 9.41.090(1)(b) and/or (1)(c). A valid WA drivers license is all you need to show residence...after taht it is a MAX of 5 days to take posession of a pistol. (in my county it is 1 to 2 days if you don't have a CPL, minutes if you have a CPL.)

BTW: the WA drivers license is all you need to show residence to apply for your CPL too. Then it is a MAX of 30 days, some counties it is much less (like 2 days here in Okanogan Co.)

BTW: as for a hunting license. Have you read RCW 77.08.075(1)(c)(i)? The way I read that secion...a WA drivers license makes you a resident for a hunting/fishing lcense too.

Go get your WA drivers license...you are going to have to anyway.

Davemata,
Welcome to the freedom of Not having to deal with the stupidity of Massachusetts Gun Laws. Glad to see You made it. I am a 9 Year Refugee and Love this Place. Gunshows with no hassles, Deer, Elk, Bear..Mountains, clean water...and No Friggin Boston!!! Welcome......

As For a CPL for a Long Gun Transfer FTF...Don't come to My tables at a Gunshow. I look at Your License to Make sure You live here, do a quick BOS to get You out the door and prove You didnt steal it off the table, and off You go...But show some Gang, Nazi, Skin Head appeal, or No Se' Habla Ingles...You get sent on Your way.....CPL's are for sissy's...Open Carry My friends. Let the bad guys know who will take them out should they threaten life and home....

Davemata,
Welcome to the freedom of Not having to deal with the stupidity of Massachusetts Gun Laws. Glad to see You made it. I am a 9 Year Refugee and Love this Place. Gunshows with no hassles, Deer, Elk, Bear..Mountains, clean water...and No Friggin Boston!!! Welcome......
Deer, Elk, Bear... oh yeah. I've missed this side of the country. :) The only gun law that I think I can really complain about here is the 90 day thing for a new gun that the manager at Sharp Shooting Gun Shop in Spokane told me about

Although, just reading through RCW 9.41, and I'm not finding anything that says someone must have had their WA driver's license for 90 days before making a purchase. Can anyone point me to what would be the relevant section?

CPL's are for sissy's...Open Carry My friends. Let the bad guys know who will take them out should they threaten life and home....
I was read the riot act on the new england version of this board for making a statement like that. The major "concern" is that, "No the bad guy knows who to ambush first!"

I'm sure you can draw from an open carry holster faster than a concealed carry holster.

Why do you think you cannot get a firearm until 11/28? Do you have a WA drivers license? If not get one, then go to the FFL of your choice and purchase what you want. RCW 9.41.090(1)(b) and/or (1)(c). A valid WA drivers license is all you need to show residence...after taht it is a MAX of 5 days to take posession of a pistol. (in my county it is 1 to 2 days if you don't have a CPL, minutes if you have a CPL.)

BTW: the WA drivers license is all you need to show residence to apply for your CPL too. Then it is a MAX of 30 days, some counties it is much less (like 2 days here in Okanogan Co.)

BTW: as for a hunting license. Have you read RCW 77.08.075(1)(c)(i)? The way I read that secion...a WA drivers license makes you a resident for a hunting/fishing lcense too.

Go get your WA drivers license...you are going to have to anyway.

Ok, I should have read this before making my post....

WRT RCW 77.08.075, I appreciate it, but I went round and round the mulberry bush twice with the licensing people at the DF&W, and they told me that there is a solid 90 day requirement, and nothing can get me a variance. <cue price is right fail sound effect.>

Now regarding 9.41.090, what does this mean?
"valid permanent Washington driver's license" is this a different class of DL, or just an odd way of identifying the DL? It looks like the manager there was confused about the OR clause in 9.41.090. Hm. Is it worth making that argument though, or just move on to someone else?

Hell, I don't want to buy new, just want a nice used Glock 30. ;)

I am with the original poster... I offered to buy a to buy a Noveske rifle from one of the responders to this thread and was refused because I did not have a CPL. I had a Idaho CC permit but let it laps when I moved to Washington and have never taken the time to get a Washington one simply because I dont shoot pistols.. I own a couple put haven't shot one in 15 years and just dont have any interest in carrying or shooting one around the Seattle area (even if your legal I am more scared of the potential issues in the city than I think I would get in benefit) I dont want to debate the merits of a CPL... I probably should have one even if I dont intend to carry but I dont. The silly thing in my mind is because he refused I bought a new one.... No issues with handing my cash to a FFL, I understand it is CYA but frustrating... I actually got a pretty good deal on my new one but still had to pay the tax and a few hundred over what he was asking and I know the rifle he had did not sell for months after. Every time I saw the post bumped I shook my head to myself (I dont know if It ever sold) Having lived most my life in rural Idaho and having bought probably 100 guns without ever being ask for any identification I assumed all this nonsense is due to now being in a liberal fear mongering state... Good folks are scared to deal with there neighbors and worried about liability... I get that and I have no hard feelings against the seller. I respect his right to require what ever he wants, its his... Its was just a frustrating experience for me since he had the exact model I wanted and I had to fork over hundreds of extra bucks to get the same unit....

Ok, I should have read this before making my post....

WRT RCW 77.08.075, I appreciate it, but I went round and round the mulberry bush twice with the licensing people at the DF&W, and they told me that there is a solid 90 day requirement, and nothing can get me a variance. <cue price is right fail sound effect.>

Now regarding 9.41.090, what does this mean?
"valid permanent Washington driver's license" is this a different class of DL, or just an odd way of identifying the DL? It looks like the manager there was confused about the OR clause in 9.41.090. Hm. Is it worth making that argument though, or just move on to someone else?

Hell, I don't want to buy new, just want a nice used Glock 30. ;)

I wouldn't have a problem selling you a nice used CZ or Colt, but then I am a "collector" and only buy, never sell. :)

If you have a WA DL you can purchase a pistol, you can apply for your CPL, and I do not see that you cannot also apply for your hunting license.

I was under the impression the real qualification was that you did NOT have a resident hunting license from another state,,,,When I first came to WA (1970) I was still in the US Army, and over time hunting license issue may have changed...but the law looks the same to me... OK, just carefully re-read the DFW "residence" RCW 77.05.075...I guess the reason I had no problems is I was still active duty military, and my "hunting partner" (my wife) was my military dependent at the time...The only question I remember was: did we have "resident" hunting licenses from any other state?

However...this definition only fits RCW 77 (definition of "resident for this section" and does not impact your application for a CPL.

Your WA DL IS your proof that you are a WA resident.

Yes, they have temporary WA drivers permits but you do not fit the reason to have one. Just ignore the "perminent", you have a normal "perminent" WA DL. If you already have the DL you should not have a problem purchasing a pistol. If you do, just print out RCW 9.41.090 and point out the relivant part.

You might want to look at this publication: http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00511/wdfw00511.pdf. You can get a free copy at you Sheriff's office. You WILL get a free copy when you apply for your CPL. When you have your CPL the FFL's won't question your residency anyway.

Yes, I would try another FFL...there are plenty of them on the east side of the Cascades, including my favorite Dave's Gun and Pawn in Riverside. (about 150 miles west and a bit north of Spokane) Too bad you don't live in Okanogna Co. You could have your CPL in a couple days. (unless it's a weekend, then it might take 3 days)

I don't know if I gave you this link, but you might be interesed in this forum if you have not found it already: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?131-Washington

What amuses me is that the same people who want you to have a CPL, a driver's license, short hair, and look and sound like them before they will sell you a gun are the same people who will scream and whine about the right to bear arms.

It's a right.

Color, race, creed, swastikas, nose rings, tattoos, languages, sexual orientation, driver's licenses, CPL, attitudes, music preferences, reasons, literacy, brands of cars, cigarettes or beer don't have anything to do with it.

Of course, that's just me. Others, apparently, believe that rights only apply to certain people under certain circumstances.

What amuses me is that the same people who want you to have a CPL, a driver's license, short hair, and look and sound like them before they will sell you a gun are the same people who will scream and whine about the right to bear arms.

It's a right.

Color, race, creed, swastikas, nose rings, tattoos, languages, sexual orientation, driver's licenses, CPL, attitudes, music preferences, reasons, literacy, brands of cars, cigarettes or beer don't have anything to do with it.

Of course, that's just me. Others, apparently, believe that rights only apply to certain people under certain circumstances.

Damn right.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top