JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Another fine piece of fodder for the anti-gun media. A doctor, specifically a director of neuroengineering at St Joseph's Medical Center in Phoenix was apparently at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport to get coffee, and happened to be carrying an AR with him. At some point, he took the rifle off his shoulder and aimed it at a mother and daughter.

My guess is this guy probably has something messed up upstairs - if not, he's a complete and utter moron. Either way, I'm sure the local and national media will have a field day with this one. No doubt Gabby and the Astronaut are already pushing for emergency legislation to ban Arizona's open carry law.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/d...-rifle-toward-women-at-phoenix-airport-police

He probably swept them with the muzzle while he was taking it off to sit down. A moron, 2 drama queens, and a dozen airport cops walk into a coffee bar......

Barrel up! Last year I was swept so many times at the rally on the capitol steps from mall ninjas that I just left.

PHOENIX (KSAZ) - He works' at one of the premiere brain centers in the country.

But some say the neurological doctor used poor judgement when he took a rifle into Sky Harbor Airport.

Having the weapon at the airport is not illegal, but it's what police say happened when he was carrying the rifle that got him arrested.

Police say the man brought his gun to the airport legally. He told police that he was just at the airport to get coffee at a Starbucks. When he walked to the other side of the terminal near the B concourse that is when police say he accidentally pointed the gun at two women, that's when he was arrested.

Surveillance video shows Phoenix Police confronting Dr. Peter Stenmetz at Sky Harbor Airport on Friday afternoon.

The 54 year-old was walking in the unsecure area of terminal 4 with an AR-15 style rifle over his shoulder.

This action alone is not illegal in the State of Arizona. However, at one point, according to police he shifted the gun, and it was aimed in the direction of a woman and her daughter who were frightened.

Ah, now the story comes out.

I am curious though - is there no other Starbuck's he could have gone to? Getting in to a Starbuck's in an airport terminal seems like more trouble than it's worth - what with parking and all.

Sounds like he was adjusting his carry, not aiming at people as reported in lib news....Not very bright, but no evil intent.....................

"According to police documents, Steinmetz proceeded to remove the rifle from his right shoulder, causing the muzzle to face two victims sitting nearby. Both victims, a mother and her 17-year-old daughter, both stated they feared for their safety when the rifle was pointed in their direction."

"It was him being negligent in how he was manipulating the weapon," says Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos. "(He) pointed it toward a couple individuals, two females, and made them nervous; made them feel threatened by them."
<broken link removed>

You know what people arnt scared of? rifle bags. Jeez loueez, conceal carry for emergency protection, rifle in a bag if you really think you need that much backup firepower. No one gets freaked out.

Barrel up! Last year I was swept so many times at the rally on the capitol steps from mall ninjas that I just left.

PHOENIX (KSAZ) - He works' at one of the premiere brain centers in the country.

But some say the neurological doctor used poor judgement when he took a rifle into Sky Harbor Airport.

Having the weapon at the airport is not illegal, but it's what police say happened when he was carrying the rifle that got him arrested.

Police say the man brought his gun to the airport legally. He told police that he was just at the airport to get coffee at a Starbucks. When he walked to the other side of the terminal near the B concourse that is when police say he accidentally pointed the gun at two women, that's when he was arrested.

Surveillance video shows Phoenix Police confronting Dr. Peter Stenmetz at Sky Harbor Airport on Friday afternoon.

The 54 year-old was walking in the unsecure area of terminal 4 with an AR-15 style rifle over his shoulder.

This action alone is not illegal in the State of Arizona. However, at one point, according to police he shifted the gun, and it was aimed in the direction of a woman and her daughter who were frightened.

The only problem with "high port" carry is when a guy who is 6'6 is standing next to you (ME)
Muzzle down my friend. Id rather lose a toe/foot than my head.

He wanted attention - he got it. The two women were likely never in danger, but it's probably safe to say that our image as gun owners hasn't exactly been improved.

The two women probably were not even sure what a barrel was! "Officer, he pointing the shoulder thingy that goes up at me!"

Perception is reality. It's likely, though in AZ that they were more familiar with guns than our elected representatives.

It's interesting how this story developed over a short period of time. The initial article link I posted above stated that he "pointed" the rifle at them - sure made it sound aggressive/crazy. As the truth comes in, we find it wasn't the case - but how quickly the media blows the story out of proportion. Just another example of why the way some folks open carry gets used against us. It would have been better if this guy chose to open carry a pistol in a holster rather than sling an AR over his shoulder - this likely wouldn't have been an issue.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top