JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So This is a very open ended question. I have two semi's that have safety's. here's the issue. When learning to operate any gun, especially when drawing from concealed or holster, you are basically doing it from muscle memory. I don't practice with those 2 very much so I do not use the safety, you practice how you fight with similar equipment, so if I carry one of the manual safety guns, I don't engage the safety. I do use the safety on my rifles and shotguns all the time. All of those I do have standard muscle memory down.

Yes, all my guns have a manual safety and I practice using it. It is not a replacement for the 4 safety rules, just like a seatbelt is not a replacement for safe driving. I still use my seatbelt, even if in some rare situations it could prevent me from jumping out of the car quickly to save my life.

A manual safety provides some additional protection against AD/ND. We all can all be a little tired, a little rattled/angry, a little sleepy, even a little drunk sometimes, even without noticing it, so the 4 rules could use a bit of help. Some of us have kids too small to have extensive practice with the 4 rules but old enough to have unlimited playfulness and curiosity. Some of us have instincts and can attempt to catch a falling gun, or people nearby can try to catch it. We are humans, surrounded by humans, we all make mistakes and none of us is infallible.

A safety has a tactical advantage too - if somebody takes your weapon away from you, they will have to figure out how the safety works on your particular gun, which can give you a few precious seconds. Switching the safety off can be performed simultaneously with drawing the pistol, so it does not slow you down (if you practice that way). You can rest your thumb on the safety when firing, which gives you a very consistent and solid "high" grip.

I admit I do not like anything sticking out of my pistol, and I hate how it makes racking the slide more cumbersome than it should really be. But I am OK with that.

A manual safety provides some additional protection against AD/ND. We all can all be a little tired, a little rattled/angry, a little sleepy, even a little drunk sometimes, even without noticing it, so the 4 rules could use a bit of help. Some of us have kids too small to have extensive practice with the 4 rules but old enough to have unlimited playfulness and curiosity. Some of us have instincts and can attempt to catch a falling gun, or people nearby can try to catch it. We are humans, surrounded by humans, we all make mistakes and none of us is infallible.

A safety has a tactical advantage too - if somebody takes your weapon away from you, they will have to figure out how the safety works on your particular gun, which can give you a few precious seconds. Switching the safety off can be performed simultaneously with drawing the pistol, so it does not slow you down (if you practice that way). You can rest your thumb on the safety when firing, which gives you a very consistent and solid "high" grip.

I admit I do not like anything sticking out of my pistol, and I hate how it makes racking the slide more cumbersome than it should really be. But I am OK with that.
I really like your comment about the tactical advantage if you weapon gets away from you, that second or two could change everything.

I don't much use the safeties at the range. The gun is either ready to be shot or unloaded. Nothing is kept loaded after it's done being shot.
When in the woods I may have a shotgun or an AR/G3 loaded with the safety on along with my carry gun.

My M&P40c has a safety. My M&P45 which was replaced by the 40c did not. I do keep the safety on while holstered and practice sweeping it off so it is second nature. My Ruger SR1911 is carried cocked and locked (so yes, safety on). If I was carrying my wife's M&P Shield, I would NOT be using it. It takes a good amount of pressure to take it off and it is not as easily swept off. My wife carries it with the safety off and holstered.

:s0113: *must remember to use <sarcasm></sarcasm> when I post ;)

When you said the Mosin had a safety, it was a given that you were using sarcasm.

And I use the safety on my Star BS (sort of a 1911 style) but my other pistols...no. They are DA/SA, so I treat them like my revolvers. Don't pull the trigger, it won't go boom.

I always keep the safety engaged when I am not shooting on my 1911s. I created this habit purposely. I am accustomed to pulling up the pistol, flicking off the safety, putting my finger on the trigger, and then firing. Always with the muzzle downrange. In that order every time. This sequence happens very fast with plenty of range time (and plenty of bullets). This practice creates mastery over time.
I also hold my thumb high on top of the 1911 safety while I shoot. This ensures that I will not accidentally push the safety back upwards during firing. This high thumb ride also ensures a proper hand grip.

I use the safeties on many of my guns.
Yes my finger/brain are a safety, but I grew up with 1911's and multiple safeties are part of how I think about firearms.
I guess my use depends on the situation.

EG:

Shooting alone at a indoor range
more likely to load, shoot, set down a handgun empty and slide locked

Shooting outdoors alone
more likely to load, shoot, set down empty

Shooting at a range/outdoors with friends/new shooters
more likely to use the safety as an added measure to ensure everyone's safety. I can't always be sure another individual won't pick up one of my guns. I also like to show new shooters all the functionality of a specific gun.

Hunting - Rifle/Shotgun
I am very likely to use a safety. I was taught to use one from the age of 5.

I've whitnessed misfires over the years..
crossing fences, stumbling/sliding down a bank, dropping your gun.. etc

I'm used to hunting with a round chambered..
I am used to being in tight quarters, handing guns to buddies, and getting them back.. jumping into a truck, or out of one.. etc
I'm also used to flicking the safety off as I shoulder a rifle/shotgun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top