Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do you use the safety?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by MattBG, Apr 22, 2013.

1. MattBG

MattBG Battle Ground, WA Member

I went shooting with a friend this weekend, I brought a few semi autos, he brought some revolvers and bolt actions.

The thing I found interesting, I never use the safety (on the few guns that have them), but prefer to use the rules of safe handling for the sake of consistencey. My friend was all about using the safety, and all over me for not using them.

So I'm wondering as a group, do you use the safety?

2. Ralgha

Ralgha Portland Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I never use the safety on my pistols.

Sent from LV-426.

3. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

I use and carry 1911's in locked and cocked all the time - even that however does not negate the need to keep your finger offf the trigger until you are actually ready to pull it. So yes I use the safety but with a heavy dose of safety always in imind.

James Ruby

4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

yes,I always use the safety,and also keep my finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot.

jrprich and (deleted member) like this.
  5. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

I mostly shoot Glocks so I am always using my safety

6. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Guns have a safety?

7. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

My Glocks have 3 I am always using them

8. rds801

rds801 Portland Member

For my Ruger P95, no. My duty carry Sig P226 has no external safety.

9. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

"My finger is my safety"

With the exception of my 1911, I do not normally engage the safety on my hand guns. They go from the holster to the target and back. No manual safety beats the four sacred safety rules.

With rifles, when hunting, while moving around, yes, I engage the safety.

10. Born2hunt

Born2hunt Linn cnty Member

I use them if they have em...My carry gun does not. I use them at the range just because you never know when someone will pick it up...Even though they have no business doing so without my knowledge...I do however always keep chamber empty unless doing live fire. There are times I wished my carry gun had one

11. DSAPT9

DSAPT9 North Idaho Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I guess it depends on the gun I am using. Your brain is your main safety.

When I taught hunter safety we taught the students that you use a safety all time but never trust it because it is a mechanical device and anything mechanical can break. So engage it but do not pull the trigger to see if it works unless you follow the rest of the safety rules like pointing the firearm in a safe direction.

With that said: Anything on a range table is empty with the slide/bolt open until I am ready to fire.

When ready to shoot:

My Glocks are all internal safeties

My AK, Rem 870 and the FAL the safety goes off when I start shooting and does not go back on until I am done with the course of fire. So yes when I move to engage targets down range it is with the safety off until I stop engaging the targets.

12. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

If it has one, I always use the safety. I have taken a lot of noobs shooting with me over the years and it is important to instill good gun safety techniques until they are comfortable around guns.

I did have a noob discharge a pistol right next to his foot because he, and the guy showing him the gun, did not follow safety rules.

13. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi All,
    I was trained to use the safety. But I think that the Safety can and could fail. So I alway use My Training; 1) Never point the weapon at anything you do not want to destroy, 2) Know your target, 3) Know your back stop, In other words know what is behind the target, 4) keep your finger off the trigger untill you are on the target and ready to shoot.
    But do I use the safety on most weapons the answer is no.
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area

14. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

I have 3 Mosin Nagants. They have safeties?!:laugh:

15. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I don't. When I shoot the guns that are not being shot are on the table, muzzle down range and action open. Plus most of my guns do not have safeties.

16. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Yes and no. If I am shooting a modern sporting rifle, my thumb flicks the safety after a string of fire, instinctively. It is muscle memory from doing so for so long in the military. If it is a pistol, I tend to shoot striker fired pistols or the 1911 platform so the 1911s are cocked and locked, safety on.
    Bolt guns is the same as the other rifles, it's just reflex to flick the safety on or off, and my trigger weights demand the safety to be used.

And of course, years of training makes me the most important safety. I like to have fun when I go shooting, I like to teach others, and in doing so I lead by example. I would hate to have a shooting day or life ruined by an act of negligence.

17. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

My Beretta 92F... Yes

My 1911A1... Depends

My S&W Mod. 59... Yes

My revolvers... Duh, no

My striker fired pistols

Taurus PT145MilPro... No

Glock 30... LOL

All my rifles and shotguns... Yes

Main safety... No booger hook on the bang switch until ready for boom-boom. ;)

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Yes they do. Pull back and turn left on the knob on the back of the bolt................

19. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

This is not a yes and no question. There are so many different kinds it all depends on what you are shooting.

Second part on the "my brain/training/finger" is the safety. Again depends on the gun and the use. There are mechanical things like say a branch that could activate a trigger. How about if you are carrying "tactical" style, there is lots of gear or other things the trigger could snag on.

On any gun you plan to use for defense if it has only an external mechanical safety it should work in a way that is effortless when shooting. I know we were talking pistils mostly but like in the case of an AR my hand naturally engages and disengages the safety effortlessly. Another is my Benelli M1 Super 90, it has an oversized safety. If my finger is outside the trigger guard the safety is on, but when my finger enters the shape and size makes it click off.

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  20. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

The only gun I have with a safety is a Shield 9mm. I generally don't use it.