JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you use a suppressor whilst hunting?

• Yes, I do!

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • No, but I would like to.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • No and no thanks to the idea.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Um, wut (burp) is eh (bromp!) a suppressor? o.0

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I thought I'd toss this poll and discussion out there for consideration. Hunting with a suppressor is legal in Oregon and, according to the Interwebz, Washington and Idaho too.

So do you hunt with a suppressor? What game? What suppressors? Care to share some pics?

Thanks!

As far as I know, you cannot hunt any Big Game species in North America whilst using a suppressor, and I know different states have restrictions on Varmint hunting as well, You can shoot ground squirrels all day but not a Coyote! I could be WAY out of the loop here! I would sure like to be able to use a suppressor on any firearm I wish with out any Gov restrictions, taxes, permits, or any thing else, and I would sure love to be able to hunt while using one too!

I used a Dead air sandman on a ruger 300blk for hunt this year also use it on a .308 win and a 6.8 spc.
20160618_111110_zps3px0f84q.jpg

As far as I know, you cannot hunt any Big Game species in North America whilst using a suppressor, and I know different states have restrictions on Varmint hunting as well, You can shoot ground squirrels all day but not a Coyote! I could be WAY out of the loop here! I would sure like to be able to use a suppressor on any firearm I wish with out any Gov restrictions, taxes, permits, or any thing else, and I would sure love to be able to hunt while using one too!

I got into an argument with OSP about this very same thing a few years ago. The paperwork states "for all lawful purposes". The Oregon synopsis has NOTHING about cans, and hunting IS A lawful purpose under the definition (assuming your following other hunting regs) there for legal. Show me where, on a state level, it says I cant....been in this very same argument numerous times with veteran hunters also. It's legal... (At least a couple/few years ago)

I got into an argument with OSP about this very same thing a few years ago. The paperwork states "for all lawful purposes". The Oregon synopsis has NOTHING about cans, and hunting IS A lawful purpose under the definition (assuming your following other hunting regs) there for legal. Show me where, on a state level, it says I cant....been in this very same argument numerous times with veteran hunters also. It's legal... (At least a couple/few years ago)
ODFW's legal team says thumbs up! "If you legally own the silencer, you can legally hunt with it." Their words.

ODFW's legal team says thumbs up! "If you legally own the silencer, you can legally hunt with it." Their words.

YEP!!! I started a thread like 30 years ago about this. Right after my interaction. I dont hunt btw....Perfectly legal!!! As a side note, this whole thing transpired cause some idiot at work told me silencers were illegal. If they were, how did I legally own them???!!!!

Last Edited:
Excellent topic and thank you all. I also assumed that hunting with cans was not legal. Now will have to do the research and ask around. Legal gray area? Thinking deer hunting in particular. But ... a can on a vermin garden gun is legal in OR. Funny distinction indeed. Yikes.

The B29s, (Canadian Honkers) do not stand a chance. :)

Last Edited:
That sounds marvelous! It would be great to mount one on a .308 bolt-action rifle. With a 3 X 9 Leupold scope, you could harvest some serious venison! :D (All without startling the game within 1000 yards)!

Fire up the grill!

I like the idea of using a suppressor while hunting.
As stated above you can hunt and have less chance of scaring all the game if you get a shot.

I'm not sure if a suppressor would work for my muzzle loaders ....:eek:
Just kidding if I had a suppressor , I'd have a dedicated rifle for it.
Probably a nice older Remington 700 in .308 ...
*SIGH* All it takes is money... LOL!
Andy

I used a Dead air sandman on a ruger 300blk for hunt this year also use it on a .308 win and a 6.8 spc.
View attachment 329321
That's not a left hand 300 blackout is it? I have friend looking for one...

I got a decent buck in the backyard this year with a 220g subsonic 300 blackout and an Omega. It was like using a 45 that sounded like a big pellet gun :D and definitely legal in OR.

That's not a left hand 300 blackout is it? I have friend looking for one...

I got a decent buck in the backyard this year with a 220g subsonic 300 blackout and an Omega. It was like using a 45 that sounded like a big pellet gun :D and definitely legal in OR.

Just us, but we are now waiting with baited breath for the next 120 days or soosss to see what happens in Washington DC and the many new elected officials. Cans and SBR and SBS items may become cheaper? But then again they may not either. We will wait and see. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top