JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really like this NRA cup holster. Trigger is blocked by the cup. Gun is in perfect position.

3F64E1CF-D0DC-4A1A-A912-507264A1D82A.jpeg

I generally carry IWB on my strong side (RHS Draw) but when in a car there's no way i could draw with the seat belt in the way. Even AIWB doesn't work that well with a seat belt. So i have an Alien Gear shape shifter holster mounted to the side of the center console right near my right leg. Its super accessible and i have the optional active lock on it so i have to push a lever to release it. That way if i get in an accident and roll the truck i don't run the risk of the gun coming out of the holster and flying around the cabin. Also, with this location i'm less likely to muzzle myself should i have to draw. I'm in an F150

Is it legal to keep your firearm that way in your vehicle?

In Wash. state, RCW 9.41.050 says a concealed, loaded pistol must be on the licensee's person. I'm not sure how that interprets. Does that mean in the console next to you qualifies? I don't know. I have the license, rarely use it. One of the times I carry is on longer driving trips. I don't like to wear a holster in the car. If I'm going to have it on my "person," it's in a jacket pocket or similar. The need for a quick draw inside the car is unlikely. And seated position in the vehicle would hamper a holster draw anyway. I like the crack between the front seats in my Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis that gets covered with an armrest. Very convenient. But I don't know if that satisfies the letter of the law.

When I go shooting in the hills, I carry a loaded pistol on my hip. Don't want anyone getting ideas about jumping me for my guns. I leave the sidearm on until I get back to the paved road. Then I get out and stow it in the trunk.

Reasons why it may not be a good idea to use your car as a holster...

Err...this is only MY opinion. YMMV.

1) Legalities - You certainly want to check the laws in your state/city regarding carrying a loaded gun exposed in this manner. Don't forget that the laws may change between cities/states

2) Getting Pulled Over By The Police - You've now got an exposed loaded firearm visible to the officer as he walks up. Now you can either leave the gun there (assuming it's legal)...which will likely set the officer off, or you can attempt to relocate the loaded weapon BEFORE the officer gets to your window. This just sounds like a really bad idea all around to me. Cops can usually tell if you're moving around in the vehicle which tends to make them uneasy. Plus if you don't get that weapon secured by the time the officer walks up, you're sitting there with a LOADED gun in your hand which is REALLY going to set the officer off...and...ya know...maybe get you shot.

3) Risk of getting into an accident - Having a loaded gun bouncing around the vehicle as you go through an accident is NOT my idea of a good time. Even if it doesn't go off, it's still basically a missile that could easily bash you in the melon while the car is crashing. Now to be fair, there's no guarantee that the gun will stay in your normal waist holster through a rough accident at speed either. But I personally trust my holster far more than a magnet or soft holster mounted to the center console. YMMV

4) In the event you need to bail out of the car quickly, you now have to remember to grab your gun. Maybe you do remember, maybe you don't. Maybe there isn't time to grab it. Off body carry does create a number of issues.

5) Having the gun visible means you may lose the element of surprise. Stop at a light and the car jacker comes to your door/window and sees the gun...well that's not a very good situation.

6) I'm generally not a fan of having to remove the gun from it's holster (ie to transfer the gun to the car holster). The less you expose the trigger, the better. If you're going to take your gun off, try to come up with a solution where you can pop your entire holster off and then secure that holster in some manner so that you don't have to actually unholster the gun. Again, YMMV

7) Placing the gun in the passenger compartment just seems less than ideal. Now maybe the "car holster" only gets used when you're the only one in the vehicle. But I would argue that placing the gun in the passenger compartment puts it out of your direct control and definitely makes it accessible to the passenger. That just doesn't seem like a good idea.

8) Having a holster mounted anywhere that is visible, sends a message to any would-be thieves that there may be a gun in the car. If you're going to do this, make sure you remove the holster completely when it's not being used.

Reasons why it may not be a good idea to use your car as a holster...

Err...this is only MY opinion. YMMV.

1) Legalities - You certainly want to check the laws in your state/city regarding carrying a loaded gun exposed in this manner. Don't forget that the laws may change between cities/states

2) Getting Pulled Over By The Police - You've now got an exposed loaded firearm visible to the officer as he walks up. Now you can either leave the gun there (assuming it's legal)...which will likely set the officer off, or you can attempt to relocate the loaded weapon BEFORE the officer gets to your window. This just sounds like a really bad idea all around to me. Cops can usually tell if you're moving around in the vehicle which tends to make them uneasy. Plus if you don't get that weapon secured by the time the officer walks up, you're sitting there with a LOADED gun in your hand which is REALLY going to set the officer off...and...ya know...maybe get you shot.

3) Risk of getting into an accident - Having a loaded gun bouncing around the vehicle as you go through an accident is NOT my idea of a good time. Even if it doesn't go off, it's still basically a missile that could easily bash you in the melon while the car is crashing. Now to be fair, there's no guarantee that the gun will stay in your normal waist holster through a rough accident at speed either. But I personally trust my holster far more than a magnet or soft holster mounted to the center console. YMMV

4) In the event you need to bail out of the car quickly, you now have to remember to grab your gun. Maybe you do remember, maybe you don't. Maybe there isn't time to grab it. Off body carry does create a number of issues.

5) Having the gun visible means you may lose the element of surprise. Stop at a light and the car jacker comes to your door/window and sees the gun...well that's not a very good situation.

6) I'm generally not a fan of having to remove the gun from it's holster (ie to transfer the gun to the car holster). The less you expose the trigger, the better. If you're going to take your gun off, try to come up with a solution where you can pop your entire holster off and then secure that holster in some manner so that you don't have to actually unholster the gun. Again, YMMV

7) Placing the gun in the passenger compartment just seems less than ideal. Now maybe the "car holster" only gets used when you're the only one in the vehicle. But I would argue that placing the gun in the passenger compartment puts it out of your direct control and definitely makes it accessible to the passenger. That just doesn't seem like a good idea.

8) Having a holster mounted anywhere that is visible, sends a message to any would-be thieves that there may be a gun in the car. If you're going to do this, make sure you remove the holster completely when it's not being used.
Thank you. I was looking for some salient points and you provided them. I still need to know if its legal in Wa state. Thanks again.

I use a DeSantis Sky Cop cross draw holster. Very satisfied with that one. Also have gun magnets that I haven't used yet. Haven't found a good place to attach them to the Tacoma under dash area. A 1911G model is somewhat heavy and I don't want to hit rough roads and have to fish for it on the floor board while driving. IMHO its all a matter of acceptable compromises when CCing in your vehicle.

Get yourself a good quality Leather Holster and wear it in the 4 O'clock position on your Strong Side. You can wear that Holster every day, all day long. And, strange as it seems, you'll find your EDC right where it belongs and not have to go looking for it.
Exactly. The only time my carry gun is elsewhere is if I have to go into a prohibited place. Then it is in a good quality car safe under the seat. The holster and pistol I have is so comfortable that it's never an issue.

But I would argue that placing the gun in the passenger compartment puts it out of your direct control and definitely makes it accessible to the passenger. That just doesn't seem like a good idea.

All of your points are well taken and well thought out. I agree completely. As to your #7 quoted in part above, having your concealed carry weapon accessible to your passenger is not just a bad idea. In Oregon it may also be illegal, particularly if your passenger does not have a CHL. When your carry weapon is on your belt there's no question as to who is in control of it. When it's "somewhere" in your vehicle within reach of your passenger, a LEO can reasonably conclude that your unlicensed passenger is in control of your concealed weapon. Got bail money?

The reason I don't .
I want the gun on my hip incase I have to get out of the car really fast I don't want to have to grab the gun then exit the car .
If it is on your body you can just exit the car and have the gun with you.

I really like this NRA cup holster. Trigger is blocked by the cup. Gun is in perfect position.

View attachment 622432
The downside is what happens to that gun in a collision, especially a rollover?

I have started to use a shoulder holster (Gunfighters, Inc. Spectre) on long trips. I don't even notice it's there. Plus, it stays with me on stops, when I'm more likely to need it.

The reason I don't .
I want the gun on my hip incase I have to get out of the car really fast I don't want to have to grab the gun then exit the car .
If it is on your body you can just exit the car and have the gun with you.
How about one on your person and one mounted in the car? LOL. I, like you also park in a secured area at work so my situation may be different than many others. Good to see you active again, it seems like you may have been on a break or something.

How about one on your person and one mounted in the car? LOL. I, like you also park in a secured area at work so my situation may be different than many others. Good to see you active again, it seems like you may have been on a break or something.
Yep took a little break .
But I been checking in now and then

I don't use a dedicated "car holster" but l did help my son install one in his Tacoma a couple of weeks ago. I can see their usefulness on a long trip.

I keep my registration and insurance docs clipped to the sun visor. In the rare case that l do get pulled over, l already have my wallet on the dash and hands on the wheel long before the officer approaches my window. Now there's 0 reason for me to reach into or for anything or make any movements that could be construed as "furtive" by a nervous copper. My gun stays untouched on my hip and, hopefully, so does his/hers/theirs/zee's.

I am currently carrying a G43X in a Carry Concealment IWB holster between 3:30 and 5 depending on the car seat and what I am doing. I sometimes need to loosing the belt one notch for the wiggle room on long trips but the pants still stay up if I got to bail out of the car quick. My other option I run is an AWB Holsters Plus with a G19 in the 3:30 to 4 position.

Depending on what I am doing I normally carry a back pack with a CZ Scorpion and 5 mags because in Idaho I can, so I do.

I drive a 05 Jeep L J so in a rollover/car crash the back pack or a gun on the seat is the least of my worries because the 30-pound Subwoofer setting on the back seat, the tools in the back cargo area and the 10 to 30 pop cans on the floor of the passenger side most weeks will most likely kill or hurt me before the gun.

Now as far as a holster in the car, I do not do but I have two buddies that do and have done so for years but they just carry a truck gun in them, separate form their concealed carry.

I was going to say the same thing. two guns of the same make, one in the car and one on your person. Parking somewhere sketchy? Dual wield!

Nope. Gun doesn't leave my person. I'm faster drawing from appendix seated, then I am leaning over a center console to reach a gun. Plus if for whatever reason someone is able to make their way into my passenger side door I want full control/manipulation of the firearm. The gun goes where I go. I have the same mentality towards off the body carry. Plus vehicle collisions like to create flying objects.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top