JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had drove about 250 miles with my carry SOB and after stopping to use the restroom and get an energy drink, I moved my carry to the glove box. It was bothering my back after so long. I was in an unfamiliar city and was trying to figure out how to get back to the highway. I failed to signal for a turn. When the lights went on I immediately realized how dumb it was to put my carry on top of my wallet, registration and insurance information. I had my daughter with me and I was super stressed and a little upset that she started crying. I've never been one to expect a police officer to knock my socks off for good "customer service" because that isn't their job, But this police officer was amazing. I obviously had to disclose that I had a loaded firearm in my vehicle and he was calm and cool. I was shaking and my knees were barely holding me up when I got out of the car. He walked me through the entire traffic stop and was very patient. He even joked afterwards with my daughter about how funny it was that she thought I was in trouble because I had a gun. He didn't have to, but he educated me on a few things to remember when being pulled over at night, like rolling my windows down (because they are tinted) and turning on my interior lights among other things. He said most importantly, I should look into a holster for my car, instead of using the glove box. It wouldn't change the process of a traffic stop necessarily, but it would be a better choice, especially if you have a young passenger in the front seat.

Do you currently or have you In the past, used a mounted holster in your vehicle for your carry gun?

A few of my rigs have center consoles so I can toss my carry rig in there is needed. My Pickup is the one with a Kydex holster attached to the bottom of the dash as it's not comfortable to wear my carry rig while driving, which is weird because I have no issues driving my other cars! in any case, that's the only rig I use a mounted holster! in my SuperCub, it goes in a lock box under the pilots seat!

Currently, no. My IWB has enough travel I can move between 3 O'clock to 6 O'clock fairly easily.

I also know myself, and especially as I age, having fewer variables in a given situation makes the likelihood that I will choose correctly higher!

Back when I had my jeep and used serpa holster systems I had dedicated holsters in the vehicle. But nothing that transitioned back to IWB.

When I travel now Im all about that fanny-pack carry and crocs shoe life, then of course that style comes with self created celibacy. A cheaper trade IMO.. ;)

I have a Nissan Maxima.
Most of the time it's on my hip .
But at work I can't carry.
So .
Sometimes when I leave work I don't want to put the gun and holster on.
But my holster and gun fit perfectly in-between the center console and the seat .
So I put it there .
And just put my hat over it .
Funny but true.
In my car if I needed my gun it would be better to have it there than on me.
But if I had to get out of the car then we got problems.
There have been times when I would have to stop on my way home.
Then I have to park way out in the parking lot .
And get out and put my gun on before I go in a store.

I have a Nissan Maxima.
Most of the time it's on my hip .
But at work I can't carry.
So .
Sometimes when I leave work I don't want to put the gun and holster on.
But my holster and gun fit perfectly in-between the center console and the seat .
So I put it there .
And just put my hat over it .
Funny but true.
In my car if I needed my gun it would be better to have it there than on me.
But if I had to get out of the car then we got problems.
There have been times when I would have to stop on my way home.
Then I have to park way out in the parking lot .
And get out and put my gun on before I go in a store.
Mostly this.

Too many considerations to maintain concealment and possession.

I have never had my home broken into. Cars are another matter!

Gun lock box in car .
Car is parked inside a gate that requires a pass to open .
And under cameras .
That are on and recording and someone is watching or is notified when there is movement in the yard.

You are finding out just how lousy the SOB Holster is. It makes for a "Cool" TV/Movies carry position but not in Real Life. Take for example an Accident where you are Rear Ended. Your E DC is going to be Jammed into your Spine and that just Ain't gonna be comfortable!

I am aware of a couple of Agencies that simply will approve of this type of Holster. Get yourself a good quality Leather Holster and wear it in the 4 O'clock position on your Strong Side. You can wear that Holster every day, all day long. And, strange as it seems, you'll find your EDC right where it belongs and not have to go looking for it.

@EPS, Oh, I get that our situations are different.

I carry at work. And I have a secure office and desk.

Also, we allow the County Sheriff to use our back parking lot.

This is good because we have a police presence in the alley. It is bad because it is an alley that has a lot of foot traffic. Not all of it law abiding.

In my old truck, I had an uncle mikes nylon holster velcro'd to the transmission well. My leg would cover it up when I was in the truck. My next truck had the shifter on the center console so I decided not to put the gun there. Then I learned about comfortable holsters.
I like my nylon Uncle Mike's, but stopped using it when I found a Concealment Express in Kydex.

I still like the idea of having multiple holsters for multiple pairs of pants, but I could see springing for a second UM's for my Acura. I am never get a good draw the way I am wedged into that rig!

Last Edited:
My holster is at 3:30 and is comfortable in the SUV. If I want to take it off, it goes in the center console. My registration and ins card are in the glove box. When I carry on my right side, I carry my wallet in the left rear pocket.
It really isn't a problem.

^^^^Locked box under the pilot's seat? I think that we all need to chip in for a Christmas present for Ura-Ki; wing mounted pylons. The first 10mm equipped Super Cub.

If I'm gonna be in the car for a long time, I'll move the pistol to the pocket on the driver's side door. It's accessible, the door's locked after I'm in, so it's secure enough, and my left leg is less likely to go into the combination of painful and numb (lousy spine problems)

I've considered mounting a holster, but I just haven't found a spot where it would be practical.

I use one of these mounted to my center console on my lower right side. It is a great holster. For right or left draw..

I'm not really a fan of taking my gun out of it's holster and putting it into another. If I do take my gun off in the car...and that is REALLY rare...I pop the holster off and put it in my center console...where I have control over the console...My arm is always on it and the latch is on my side of the console. The glove box is too far away for my liking and too accessible by anyone in the passenger seat.

Have you thought about a different carry position? I can't imagine SOB is comfortable in any seated position.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top