JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not really a fan of taking my gun out of it's holster and putting it into another. If I do take my gun off in the car...and that is REALLY rare...I pop the holster off and put it in my center console...where I have control over the console...My arm is always on it and the latch is on my side of the console. The glove box is too far away for my liking and too accessible by anyone in the passenger seat.

Have you thought about a different carry position? I can't imagine SOB is comfortable in any seated position.
Right now, my best most comfortable, secure holster is the SOB, but I am searching for a more comfortable carry position. I have the belly band, but it gets too warm over a long period of time. Tried ankle, can't find one that feels secure and I've tried carrying with a bra holster, sounds hot, but try drawing your weapon from your bra... not realistic. I've ordered a couple that were recommended in a previous thread, they just haven't arrived yet.

SOB = Son of a B***h, this carry position sucks.

If I'm in the car for any kind of distance, I have a nice little fanny pack that I carry front facing. It works well because i'm usually wearing sweats in that situation anyway and I can get in and out without having to move it around. It also conceals nicely with a t-shirt and is readily accessible both in and out of the car. Or I put it in the glove box. My paperwork is kept in a dedicated spot for that very reason.

I have been wanting to mount one of those strong magnets that I have to the roof of my commuter car. It would work well I think with a low to the ground vehicle like I have..no one would see it. Wouldn't do it in a tall rig though. May not ever happen due to the BS of actually mounting the magnet securely. Would be interested to hear if someone has done it.

I just got a new holster from Raw Dog based on someone's suggestion here (sorry, can't remember who now). IWB defender series. I really like it! Comfortable carry at 3:00, easy to draw, re-holster and comfortable in the car seat. Highly recommended!

For the past couple years when driving any distance in Oregon I use a pair of those magnets I bought and mounted them to the underside of the dash just beside and below the steering column. I then keep a IWB kydex holster in the seat pocket of the passenger seat for when I get to my destination; grab the gun and holster and head straight to the restroom stall to put it on. With the smaller pistols like my Sig P365 it's not noticeable. I've had friends or family riding with me and no one can tell there's a gun under the dash. Of course if pulled over by LE at night a flashlight would illuminate it so I keep that in mind.

I have a magnet under the dash that my gun gets snapped

Lately it's been a 5.11 Push bag that keeps my carry safe. Beside me in the seat. I keep nothing in my pockets now days.

I don't prefer to carry and have it on my hip making an impression in the car, not for long drives over an hour. Easy to snag if needed on the magnet.

Have done 7 hours drives with nothing but 2 stops for food or gas and never found OWB at 4 o'clock to be a problem. Everyone's body type is different though so maybe it rests on me differently.

You are finding out just how lousy the SOB Holster is. It makes for a "Cool" TV/Movies carry position but not in Real Life. Take for example an Accident where you are Rear Ended. Your E DC is going to be Jammed into your Spine and that just Ain't gonna be comfortable!

I am aware of a couple of Agencies that simply will approve of this type of Holster. Get yourself a good quality Leather Holster and wear it in the 4 O'clock position on your Strong Side. You can wear that Holster every day, all day long. And, strange as it seems, you'll find your EDC right where it belongs and not have to go looking for it.

^^^^^^^^ This, a comfortable IWB at 4 o'clock works for me.
The only thing about driving that aches is a pain that runs down from my lower back to my left leg...:eek::eek::eek:

My holster is where it needs to be. On my belt.
The tool it carries (when driving) is attached to magnets on the lower dash.
I reach for my parking brake, I may be reaching for my tool to re-holster. ;)
Spare mags are on my belt.

I've tried the magnet gun holder thingy and I wasn't impressed. Now days I am using a maxpedition universal holster. I have it velcroed onto my center console thing next to my shifter.

It works good and holds the pistol secure enough. If it gets really hot during the summer, the velcro adhesive may loosen up but that's about it.
70106614_2374206899358958_5749528657362157568_n.jpg 71176597_2374206792692302_6688591104507379712_n.jpg 72340964_2374206856025629_4463792057994969088_n.jpg

I've tried the magnet gun holder thingy and I wasn't impressed. Now days I am using a maxpedition universal holster. I have it velcroed onto my center console thing next to my shifter.

It works good and holds the pistol secure enough. If it gets really hot during the summer, the velcro adhesive may loosen up but that's about it.
View attachment 620111

View attachment 620113

DANGIT! Now I need to have a holster that runs on 12V DC!:D

For long drives, consider a cross draw holster or shoulder holster. Keep a gun on your person in the event of a successful carjacking. Also a mounted pistol is a good idea for a faster draw from a dash mounted holster.

Get a large Harbor Freight Magnet. Screw it in to the kick panel under the sterring column, or where practical. Magnetic gun mount, about four bucks.

I use one of these mounted to my center console on my lower right side. It is a great holster. For right or left draw..

Thanks this is the one I chose. Got one for my cc and I got one for my "I wish I could carry you but I don't know where I'd hide you" option. I figure if I'm taking a long trip just because I can't holster it doesn't mean it can't be handy. No more SOB. Carry Thanks

I'm going to echo CRBMoA and DB Wesner.

Find a holster, belt, location that works for long drives, long walks, long meals with relatives.

Carry it that way All The Time! ...unless you absolutely can't. Less things to clutter your mind when you are trying to delay your entry through the Pearly Gates.

I'm going to echo CRBMoA and DB Wesner.

Find a holster, belt, location that works for long drives, long walks, long meals with relatives.

Carry it that way All The Time! ...unless you absolutely can't. Less things to clutter your mind when you are trying to delay your entry through the Pearly Gates.

And stick with it. The first week or two of a new holster/carry position generally sucks. Do NOT throw in the towel before giving it at least a week. I've had a few holsters that I wanted nothing more than to get home and take them off after a day or two of ownership. After a week or two, I almost forget I'm carrying. The body has to get used to it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top