JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you typically carry a round in the chamber? (aka "One in the pipe?")

• Yes.

Votes: 180 79.6%
  • No.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Neither. I don't typically carry a gun.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • None of your business, but I'd feel left out if I didn't vote.

Votes: 18 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I was attending a university, I got an apartment that was in a totally safe and not dangerous area because it was cheaper than being in the dorm. I had one roommate who would try to enter my room (and complained that I locked it whenever I was out), one who would go on some violent outbursts, and had close encounters with some other weird people.

Think it might be better to have on in the chamber. Even if its against your lease to have a gun (edit to clarify, after the first roommate outburst I ignored that part of the lease).

Last Edited:
Yes black powder will attract most moisture..but with that said...
I have seen way too many cap and ball revolvers and rifles stored loaded and left for years...in a couple of cases the rifle and shotgun were kept in a dank , damp basement ...and still fired years later...

Do not take a black powder gun that has been left loaded for granted....
It was a very common practice , when these were in common use to be left loaded for instance use.
Andy

Andy speaks the truth! I just recently found My Grand Dads old powder flask, still full of powder, last seen in 1947! That powder was still as fresh as the day it was loaded in the flask! So, the idea of proper storage keeping powder dry is trye, that flask was wrapped in a waxed paper and wool blanket in the bottom of an old steamer trunk that my folks had taken to Arizona 20 years ago!

This came in discussion with a few people at the bar today and I said I always did. One dude thought it was dangerous and asked me why I put one in the chamber and I told him the only reason I did it was that two won't fit.

He looked really confused.

Last Edited:
1) A powder horn provides a moisture tight seal a lot better than the chamber of a gun.
2) Yup, a front-stuffer left loaded may well fire - or not. You can't depend on either thing happening, but it can.
3) My experience is based on having a BP revolver as my only sidearm during a period of poverty. When I took it out to shoot 2 or 3 out of 5 didn't fire on the 1st try, so a BP gun left loaded can't be depended on to work when you need it, or not work if handled negligently.
4) "Even if its against your lease to have a gun" - I guess if the lease says no guns, a round up the spout is "double secret" banned, ala Dean Wormer and Animal House, and may be double secret level ignored.

Well our experiences differ....
I have found that if you load powder , greased wad , ball , then grease the cylinder face a revolver will "keep" , so to speak for a while...as in weeks or months....
Rifles and shotguns...may even last years....
Andy

Well our experiences differ....
I have found that if you load powder , greased wad , ball , then grease the cylinder face a revolver will "keep" , so to speak for a while...as in weeks or months....
Rifles and shotguns...may even last years....
Andy

I've read that Bill Hickok shot his BP revolvers empty and reloaded them every morning.

Edit: not arguing, just thought it was interesting :)

Last Edited:
I've read that Bill Hickok shot his BP revolvers empty and reloaded them every morning.

Edit: not arguing, just thought it was interesting :)

Some folks did do that...or so it is said....
I don't know... I wasn't hanging out with Wild Bill in 1870....:D
He did have a reputation to uphold...so maybe he did do that...maybe it was just part of his "mystique" , something he said to a dime novelist...
Again I don't know , for sure....

What I know is from my experiences shooting , loading and carrying as close as I can with the same practices that were used from the 1770's thru the 1880's ....
And I have found that if you load as they did...your gun has a excellent chance of doing what it needs too...whether it was loaded and fired today or weeks and even years from today.

Will these guns misfire or not fire at all...yep
If left loaded , will they always go off hours , days , weeks or years later...nope
But more often than not , again in my experience , loading and shooting "as they did"...the gun will go boom.
Andy

Last Edited:
I rarely carry a gun anymore.

But if I did, it would depend on the gun and how I carried it and why.

If it was just in case, then probably not.

If I thought there was a high probability of risk - e.g., someone had threatened my life, then I might - it would depend on the gun; I feel safer carrying one in the chamber with my DA/SA SIGs than with the Glocks as the former takes more effort to pull the trigger on the first shot than the latter.

In short, it depends.

For some, parking the hammer on an empty chamber is preferred. Usually on older guns without a hammer-block, drop safe, etc., but even some modern carry folks prefer it this way...

View attachment 486523

PHOTO SOURCE: luckygunner.com

stop_stop.jpg
So....that's the reason for a 7 shot revolver?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I have always carried with a round chambered. I've had my CC for over 30 years. My old Glock 22 is my overall travel/CC, but my little KelTec is my "Dress-up" favorite. My guns in my safes are almost all loaded. I treat all guns as loaded.

I would say it is up to you and your comfort zone whether you carry with a round chambered. I grew up in the far Eastern side of Oregon, received a rolling block, single shot, 22 for my 10th Birthday. From that day on through high school I always had "several" rounds in my pockets. I never had a problem, well, my mother did gritch about having to go thru all my pockets when she did the wash...

I like to keep my mags empty until I need to use the gun. Just like I like my fire extinguisher empty until I need it. I just don't like the stress of worrying about the fire extinguisher going off because I was unprepared to handle it.

Yes, though when I first started I did not. Was not too long though & I started.

I was self conscious and thought OMG, people are going to see it, the outline of it in my front pocket....

NOPE... in the last 5 yrs I have never had one single person notice even in the LGS.

Now, I am totally comfortable and don't worry, unless I forget to bring it....

~

Last Edited:
Hmm...
How 'bout:
More practice till you find a way to carry your chosen firearm be it a classic or a new design...
If you find that you can not or do not like to draw or carry via appendix carry , then don't ...find a way to make it work or chose a way that works for you.

When carrying concealed , it is good to research and try different methods of carrying , drawing and re-holstering...but
In the end , no matter what anyone else says , does or teaches , you need to find the way that works best for you.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads