JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you typically carry a round in the chamber? (aka "One in the pipe?")

• Yes.

Votes: 180 79.6%
  • No.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Neither. I don't typically carry a gun.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • None of your business, but I'd feel left out if I didn't vote.

Votes: 18 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am one who has had to use a hand gun for self defence where I had to shoot, out side of how it makes people feel when these things happen, there is some serious take away I try and pass on to others when this topic shifts to its current track! Keep in mind here, I was in the Military when this took place, but the experience could have really been a urban city as a civilian. We were issued Beretta M-9 for many many years, a very good pistol with a lot going for it. When ever we were deployed, we would cycle a round into th e chamber and the safety was on. Once we hit the deck, the first thing you did was decock and leave the safety off so that the M-9 was in double action mode, hammer down!
My shoot happend so freaking fast that there was no time what so ever to react, no cycling a slide, no smooth draw, nothing. It was drop my long gun, draw my pistol as fast as my hand could and fire as fast as I could! It was bad breath close, and I took a round of 7.62x39 in the plate for my trouble. Point it, my body reacted instantly before my mind caught up, and all the training went out the window, and muscle memory took over and got the job done! I never saw my pistols sights, I never thumbed a safety off, and I don't know what my draw looked like, but I put 15 rounds center mass exactly where they needed to go! That's why you carry a round in the chamber, and that's why you train and train and train, because a threat can come from any direction and happen in an instant, and you have only that instant to react! If you are fumbling around with your carry piece, you have problems to solve, and you may wanna have a serious look at the piece you are carrying.
This is why I carry a 1911, I can carry in condition 1 and long before I may need to use it, I can thumb the safety off and be fully ready to go, because I train, and I know my piece and I have an awesome holster with a coverd trigger that cannot get plugged up and cause a issue during a reholster! :)

:s0101:

I dare say only a few on this forum can likely speak with that level of experience. Thanks for making some very important points.

Not to leave anyone out, my personal gratitude for those who have donned a uniform to serve and protect our nation, state, city, town or county. You have my deepest respect and heartfelt gratitude. May God's blessings be upon you and yours all the days of your life...

Not to leave anyone out, my personal gratitude for those who have donned a uniform to serve and protect our nation, state, city, town or county. You have my deepest respect and heartfelt gratitude. May God's blessings be upon you and yours all the days of your life...

Agreed! 100% this!!

Oh, and 7.62 into that plate?? Thank goodness for that armor!! :eek:

That's a whole 'nother story it's self! :eek:
Put me on my azz for a good 20 min. and gave me a big black and blue goose egg. I had trouble breathing and had pretty good pain for a few months!
Made me really think about life and how short it really is, how close you can get to the edge of living or dying!
Thank God for armor, and thank God I payed attention during all my training!

Not in the circus. :rolleyes:

No? Not even in this gal's tent?

-1505231379.jpg

"Some guns are pretty unsafe to carry ready to go.. like a Raven and a whole bunch more. It's up to you to educate yourself about your guns. I pretty much carry my guns loaded."
True dat. Oh, and don't carry a Raven.

"For a cap and ball revolver...
Load all the chambers but then cap as above for a Colt SAA...."
All respect to Andy, but given the hygroscopic nature of black powder the uncapped chamber is likely to be too wet to fire when you need it. No idea whether this applies to modern BP substitutes.

"And then there's this: "'Israeli carry' is a colloquial term that refers to carrying a semiautomatic pistol with a loaded magazine inserted into the pistol but without a round in the chamber."
The Israelis started out with a mélange of pistols from everywhere, thus the only safe carry mode that applies to all of them is Cond. 3. This is not an issue if you don't have to accommodate a variety of different guns - one situation in which the sacred concept of "DIVERSITY" is not desirable.

"In California if you have a back door to your house and bad guy comes through the front you must attempt to leave through the back door . before you can stand your ground."
Or course - the Democrats want to protect all of their voters. Can't have their constituents being shot by the intended victims.

#113 "No? Not even in this gal's tent?"
Mmmm - now there's a babe!

"Some guns are pretty unsafe to carry ready to go.. like a Raven and a whole bunch more. It's up to you to educate yourself about your guns. I pretty much carry my guns loaded."
True dat. Oh, and don't carry a Raven.

All respect to Andy, but given the hygroscopic nature of black powder the uncapped chamber is likely to be too wet to fire when you need it. No idea whether this applies to modern BP substitutes.

"And then there's this: "'Israeli carry' is a colloquial term that refers to carrying a semiautomatic pistol with a loaded magazine inserted into the pistol but without a round in the chamber."
The Israelis started out with a mélange of pistols from everywhere, thus the only safe carry mode that applies to all of them is Cond. 3. This is not an issue if you don't have to accommodate a variety of different guns - one situation in which the sacred concept of "DIVERSITY" is not desirable.

"In California if you have a back door to your house and bad guy comes through the front you must attempt to leave through the back door . before you can stand your ground."
Or course - the Democrats want to protect all of their voters. Can't have their constituents being shot by the intended victims.

#113 "No? Not even in this gal's tent?"
Mmmm - now there's a babe!
So in summary, be ready to act or be ready to die.

I always have one in the chamber. As soo many people have already stated before me. I look at it like this... would you go to dinner and eat the food and expect a free meal because you forgot your wallet? I know. Go to a brothel, forget the protection and expect not to catch something? Wait,... wait,... wait,... play baseball and forget about your cup. 'Nuff said... *drops the mike*:D

Yes black powder will attract moisture..but with that said...
I have seen way too many cap and ball revolvers and rifles stored loaded and left for years...in a couple of cases the rifle and shotgun were kept in a dank , damp basement ...and still fired years later...

Do not take a black powder gun that has been left loaded for granted....
It was a very common practice , when these were in common use to be left loaded for instance use.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads