JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I didn't trust it I would be in the market for a replacement. I tried several "other" brands before ending up with a Glock. It always goes bang. Clean, dirty, wet, dry or covered in dust, it goes bang. Any ammo I throw at it....yea...it goes bang. Not only does it do that, it also puts the holes where I want them. There may be plenty of other guns that do this as well but I see no need to look further.

A man who carries a gun he doesn't trust 100% is a fool.

That doesn't answer the original question, which was what test do you put it through before you trust it? :huh:

As an aside, I don't think I would trust any gun 100%. As a mechanical item starting a chemical reaction, there is always the chance something could go wrong. :s0131: That's why we do tap-rack-bang, and double feed drills, no? :s0155:

I personally don't think 1000 rounds is a lot. Probably not even fully broken in at that point.Look at some of the IPDA guys shooting 20 – 40 thousand round a year. If you think you will wear your gun out by shooting it you probably wont practice. Which in my mind is a bigger concern then a mechanical failure.

If these guys shootting the IDPA are using the same gun all year I guantee you they are putting new parts in regularly. NASCAR drivers put a lot more miles on their cars than the average person but they also replace a lot of parts in them to keep them running.

I personaly feel a couple hundred rounds should be plenty to test the gun. The key is practice to make sure you can shoot it. A good number of failures that I had when I first started shooting autos were due to my inexperience and limp wrist shooting.

Any new gun could have a defect. I always run at least a few hundred rounds through it including the intended carry ammo before carrying it. Heck you need at least that much just to get used to how it feels and shoots. I carry an HK because they work, just like other 'quality' guns. We have all read enough threads on the guns that have problems more than others. I stay away from them. Buy quality and only cry once.

If the Kahr you are talking about is a PM40, perform the suggested break-in (I think it was 500 rounds) before making a decision. Mine really pissed me off for the first 100 or so rounds with failure to feed issues. Then I realized that part of the problem was me limp wristing it along with the tight tolerances these guns have to begin with. I put another 400 rounds through it with very few issues, only time I had any problem was when it was dirty from using that indoor ammo they make you shoot at some places. Since then, not one failure. I had the ramp polished to add to reliability. One of my favorite guns now, but I was ready to sell it at first.

I like that..... buy quality and only cry once.

Who was it, Ben Franklin?. said something like the higher price of quality is forgotten long before the misery and frustration of cheapness. Wisdom good for at least a few centuries. And largely lost on today's buyers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top