Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do you trust your gun?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by theLEMband, Dec 15, 2009.

1. theLEMband

theLEMband Southeast WA Member

I am currently carrying a Sig and am comforted by it's reliability. Several other brands have similarly been tested by goverment agencies and their performance born out in real life use.

But what if you try something else and really like the feel of (god-forbid) a Taurus or a Kel-Tec? What if you like it so much you want carry it daily?

I guess what I'm asking is what procedures/tests do you run on your gun before you start carrying?

Do you just pull it out of the box and put it in the holster? Clean off the cosmoline and call it good? Do a fluff 'n buff? Put 50 rounds of practice ammo, 100, 1000? Fire it after putting it in a shop vac with 2 pounds of sheetrock dust and sand for half an hour (a bit rough on the ivory handled pieces)? Wear out the first barrel and get halfway through the second? Other?

I'm not interested in which brands everyone thinks are the best, and which guns they wouldn't give to an enemy, so please refrain from starting that war. Just interested in the torture tests which you personally use before carrying.

2. Outrider

Outrider Oregon Active Member

I don't consider it a torture test, but if I was going to change to a new carry gun, I'd definitely want at least 500 rounds through it. Part of it would be to help things break in and to also give me some useful practice with how the pistol handles.

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Milwaukie New Member

Before ANY gun makes it into my carry line-up:
    1.Min 1000 rounds of practice ammo
    2.Min 200 rounds of carry ammo
    There has to be no malfunctions in either the gun or magazines.

This is just my "test". YMMV

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

When I select a new gun I only put 50 rounds through it. Any material or mechanical defects should present themselves very quickly. Placing 1000+ rounds through a new gun is not only unnecessary but could also lead to a greater chance of eventual failure since most non-defect related failures occur at higher round counts due to wear and tear. Would you put 50,000 miles on a car to test drive it?

I personally do not trust Kel-Tec at all and have limited faith in Taurus. If I carried either of them I would not put more than 50 rounds through them beforehand since I am convinced that these brands do not wear well and the more you shoot them the more likely they are to fail.

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Milwaukie New Member

If they'd let me YES!

As I stated "MY" test. What you choose to do is all up to you. I have many guns with thousands of rounds through them with very little wear. I do replace springs when required. The only malfunctions I have are the ones I induce.

6. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

I test fire with my carry ammo that I trusted. And I also try with my target ammo, as long as 200 rounds no fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to extract and I call it a good gun...if it failed because of the ammo or the mags then I still call it a bad gun... good gun eat any ammo that i feed.

7. theLEMband

theLEMband Southeast WA Member

Dang, I was scared I wasn't going to test something enough. You've got me scared I'll test it too much.:confused:

8. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

I personally don't think 1000 rounds is a lot. Probably not even fully broken in at that point.Look at some of the IPDA guys shooting 20 – 40 thousand round a year. If you think you will wear your gun out by shooting it you probably wont practice. Which in my mind is a bigger concern then a mechanical failure.

9. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Those guys are also maintaining a maintenance regiment comparable to rebuilding the engine in your car every 10,000 miles on their guns. The vast majority of gun owners are not going to do that with their carry guns. In fact most will hardly maintain them at all.

Break-in periods are decried by many expert shooters as "excuses" made by gun manufacturers for guns being improperly fit and needing to get loose before operating. I tend to agree with that somewhat. A well made gun that is free of defects should function well right out of the box.

10. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Now now, folks, go easy on Kel-Tecs. When I carry, 90% of the time, it's a Kel-Tec. Mine's been perfectly reliable, and the more I shoot it, the more I like it. The other times, it's a Russian Makarov pistol, which is about as reliable as a pistol can possibly be. The way I figure, 400 rounds of practice ammo and 100 rounds of carry ammo is enough to graduate to suitable-for-carry status. Of course, once a pistol reaches that status, I don't just stop shooting it and call it good enough. Every time I go shooting, I ALWAYS bring both carry guns and put at least a box or two of ammo through them to maintain familiarity, and it also builds on track records for reliability so both pistols already well exceed my standards.

11. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

From my personal experience, you will probably notice any major functional problems within the first 1-200 rounds. If it makes it past that, you're probably good to go. With that said, if you put a hundred rounds of range ammo thru it and only a dozen or so rounds of your chosen carry ammo, you're taking chances. Also be sure to try whatever carry ammo you choose functions reliably with any magazine you intend on carrying.

All components come into play; the gun, the ammo, and with pistols, the magazines.

12. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

I have some I trust, and, some I don't. Besides all of the testing, I "bond" with some, but, not with others. Part of the trust is that it carries, points, and, of course, functions properly. While it is probably me that I don't trust, any awkwardness in any of these areas makes it a "target" piece.

Bob

13. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

I like to run 2 to 300 rds. of mixed ammo and a couple mags of carry ammo through a new or used pistol before I carry. Always have that little 22 mag revolver in the front pocket for a BUG though. ;)

14. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

I usually put 500 rounds through a gun before carrying it. I suppose it takes that much shooting to decide if I really like a gun or not. But as pointed out, failures can occur a higher round counts. I had a S&W Performance Center revolver simply quit firing at around 1,200 rounds. Smith repaired it for no charge but it could have failed at a critical moment...

15. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I carry the Keltec 3AT at work and as my bug. Job stops me from carry a full sized weapron, and I only atarted carrying it after it passed my own personal reliabley test. Some with my XD-40, my H&K or my Kimber 45.
    I put about 200 -300 rounds of different ammo, which is like one day at the range, in them before I am convivced they are good for carry.
    I figure if I can;t break them then they are good. Ad I try to break them in what would be normal firing sitituations. Or the street or on the range, I knew they are not going to fail me.

16. RobertJ.

RobertJ. Seaside, OR Member

The last three carry handguns I bought were all revolvers. A S&W Mod.19, a S&W Mod.36, and a stainless Taurus small frame .38. All pre-lock. I tested them all the same, I sighted each in with the ammo I'd be carrying. The .38's are tricky to sight in if you haven't done it before, it involves a small file and plenty of time. Luckily the Chief was already dead on with windage, and shot only a couple inches low at 15 yards, which was easy to correct. Then, I ran a couple boxex of misc. ammo through each one, just to see where they shot in comparison. Happily, they all shot pretty close with my favorite plinking ammo, lightly loaded 158 gr. SWC. Then, I called it good.

Years ago, I had a SA 1911A1, which I bought stock. I spent lots of time and money on that before I was happy enough to call it good. But it would shoot Speer 200 gr. hollow points (the flying ashtray!) without a hitch when I was done.

So, in a nutshell, revolvers- no problem. Autos- I'll spend a little more time with before carrying. But if it was a Glock, I'd probably just treat it like a revolver!

17. sillyrabbit

sillyrabbit Salem, Oregon Member

The question is Do you trust your gun?

My answer; I trust it with my life and the lives of those around me! I trust it or I wouldn't be carrying it.

I trust each of my Glocks as primary and secondary

Occasionally (when circumstances absolutely dictate it!) I carry my S&W Snub nose .38 as BUG and my normal BUG (Glock) as the primary (when size really does matter ;) Ok! OK! when wearing a suit :() but I never go anywhere without one of my reliable Glocks).

The latest Glock I bought (for primary carry) I shot approximately 100 rounds getting used to the feel and muzzle blast (G29), I then concealed it and went about my normal activities and didn't think twice about it. I trust it to be reliable (out of the box and don't need a 1000 rounds to prove it to myself) That's just me :D guys, just saying.

When I practice... I practice with each (of my carry weapons) however I am never (even at the range) without one of them loaded, in the holster and concealed, I rotate them to get equal practice on each.

SR

18. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Well, I can think of at least a couple of guns I'd never consider giving to an enemy.... a Kimber, and a Browning High Power........

far too accurate and reliable to put them in the hands of someone who might use them to MY disadvantage.

19. Browncoat

Browncoat Clackamas, Or. Member

Yes I do trust my gun (CZ Pro-Tek 1), with my life and the lives of my family. I shoot a minimum test of 1000 rounds of practice ammo and 200 rounds of defensive ammo. An important consideration is testing all of the magazines you will carry for self-defense. My experience is that most FTF's are the fault of the magazine. That's why I only use factory magazines and rotate them through my testing process.

Just my .02, Jim.

20. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

I've never had a carry pistol jam so bad a tap rack drill or double feed drill could not fix! So I test with 100 rds and make sure I do LOTS of dry fire drills, get used to the gun and go over tap rack and double feed drills over and over... If the gun fight needs more than 10rds or having a jam will get me killed, I brought the wrong gun to the fight!!!!