JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With Monday's 12.1% unemployment and Clark County in SW Washington 12.5% unemployment - will affect prices on firearms or ammo. ?

We have gone from 5.5% March of 2008 to 12.1% and I don't think that we have seen the bottom by any means. At this rate we could be at 20% by the end of 2009. I know that it sounds unrealistic. Yet Job loss is also trickledown.

For me my peashooter and peas would be one of the last things I would sell off. Nevertheless. It seems that I am seeing more downward pressure and longer listing times. ( Not scientific or tracked hard just a observation)

I know that we have passed the state of Michigan and their unemployment rate ( with the big 3 Auto).

Yet I was in a shop yesterday that had 3 new Yugo M70 underfolders for sale for $749 - This is something that in the past would have rarely lasted a 1 or 2. These underfolders have been in stock for over a week. :huh:

I am wondering if we are getting ready to see a downturn or downward pressure on Firearms and Ammo?

I think that thier is a market for reasonable priced ammo in Oregon - I just don't think that the higher prices are sustainable long term.

Just my .02

I think that the spike in ammo prices will level out as soon as the manufacturers can spool up their production so that "supply" can meet "demand". With the current Administration people want more guns 'n ammo, and as long as they can, the producers will churn it out as fast as they can. Capitalism rocks!

To original thread idea: Gun store owners need to sell guns to make a profit. If they price them out of the range that most people can buy, then they will eventually go under. The only alternative is to lower the cost and lessen the profit, or even take it as a loss so that they can get at least *some* money back, as opposed to *no* money back.

Part of the reason ammo has gone up locally is the individuals who buy out entire stores stock of ammo as soon as it comes in, and then re-sell it for a huge profit. You can still find decently priced ammo online, you just gotta know where to look or do some intense searching. As far as guns go, I think that the prices will remain high for at least 3 months then maybe go down, barring 1 incident, which would be Obama signing a gun ban. I think the prices will come down for the local dealers first, there are still dealers locally who don't rape and pillage when it comes to price-gouging on firearms. The firearms manufacturers just need to keep producing more guns, and once the stocks have been replenished, which they will have to be at some point as the economy is horrible and people just can't keep buying guns all the time (who has unlimited income?). The private sales sector will be a mix of those who want to sell and those who think they can sell at fear prices, the latter not selling once the fear of a ban subsides, if it does. But who knows....

I think that the price of guns will go down, partly because of all of the guns now in pawnshops due to desperate people pawning them, hoping to still get them back. Myself, I got lucky and was able to redeem mine! I also got a really good deal on a great rifle at the same pawnshop. Lots of desperate people out there taking losses.

That's why I think the price of ammo will go up---lots of desperate people out there, causing the rest of us to hoard ammo. Who amongst us does not dread "civil disturbances" and a breakdown of "law-and-order?" Few of us do not forsee a need to be prepared for self-defense.

Bad moon rising................elsullo :(

I don't see ammo prices ever giong down.The actual price of the ammo might drop,but the ammo tax that will be put on it will bring the price right back up.I think Obama is waiting to see how much people are willing to spend on ammo,so he knows how much to tax it to keep the price up.I also think there will be a total ban on any military calibers.

I don't see ammo prices ever giong down.The actual price of the ammo might drop,but the ammo tax that will be put on it will bring the price right back up.I think Obama is waiting to see how much people are willing to spend on ammo,so he knows how much to tax it to keep the price up.I also think there will be a total ban on any military calibers.

A total ban on military calibers? Do you know how many calibers the military uses and the vast amount of firearms (not military copies or clones) which use the same ammo?

An attempt such as that, would cripple the firearms industries...

A total ban on military calibers? Do you know how many calibers the military uses and the vast amount of firearms (not military copies or clones) which use the same ammo?

As if any of the gun-grabbers in this current administration CARED about that little fact. :nuts:

I should have said ,a total civilian ban on military ammo,5.56,.308,9mm,50 bmg.

Yes, it will affect the price of guns- and already has slightly. The exception may be really rare guns(but not in hard to find calibers) or really nice guns

No, it won't affect the price of ammo. Not enough being produced and ever a guy whose trying to pay some bills knows that his ammo will fetch a premium price.

I've noticed a definite "levelling off" of prices for guns at gun shows. The fear-level prices we saw last fall and early winter are the guns that are sitting there late Sunday, and back next month. Some are getting wise and dropping prices..... and their stuff sells. A few screamin deals, if you get there early. Some normal prices... but those stratospheric numbers tend to hang around a long time.... watching Gunbroker has shown the same trend. Guns on with no reserve (and a sane opening bid) do sell, whilst others identical to them with reserves too high sit there, relisted three, four, five times, no action. (I've watched, and scored, some really great bargains on no reserve auctions..... things I believe I could resell at a profit. But not happening, cause I want them for ME).

ON ammo, though, most vendors at the gun shows are outrageous in their pricing. I've seen the red bricks of .22LR at BiMart for fifteen bucks, and the exact same brick at gunshows for $27....... guess where I bought MINE? On the other hand, there are some vendors with reasonable prices on the same brand/caliber/load as some of the scalpers. Prices at the shows can vary by forty percent or more on the same box. I have scored a few decent buys of odd boxes of stuff I can use from some of the smaller vendors... old stock, probably got in some package deal or estate they bought. Ten bucks for a box/20 rounds .30-06 didn't exactly make me cry.... I got all three, wished there had been ten or more. Sigh....

I lost my job a few months ago and I learned today that my brother-in-law will loose his next week. The unemployment rate is going to continue to get worse.

I believe that as the unemployment rate contiues to go up, people still need to pay their bills and feed their families. As a result, the crime rate will rise and their will be victims.

I do not intend to be one of those victims. Even with money as tight as it is right now, I buy a box of ammo whenever I have a few bucks left at the end of the week.

I know that I am not the only person doing this basic math. For these reasons, I have little doubt that gun and ammo prices will continue to rise.

I lost my job a few months ago and I learned today that my brother-in-law will loose his next week. The unemployment rate is going to continue to get worse.

I believe that as the unemployment rate contiues to go up, people still need to pay their bills and feed their families. As a result, the crime rate will rise and their will be victims.

I do not intend to be one of those victims. Even with money as tight as it is right now, I buy a box of ammo whenever I have a few bucks left at the end of the week.

I know that I am not the only person doing this basic math. For these reasons, I have little doubt that gun and ammo prices will continue to rise.

I just learned that last night, probably about the time I was writing this post, my parents little gift shop down in Roseburg was broken into and robbed.

Dang... sorry to hear about all the afflictions!! Hopefully they have insurance to cover the losses!!

Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was whinning. I did not mean to come accross that way. I was simply trying to make the point that the unemployment rate is getting worse and the crime rate is following.

As the criminals get more brasen and desperate, I plan to be well armed.

and their insurance will not help because of the deductable.

Jason

I just think that people will always somehow find money to buy guns, regardless of the means, even if it means their little kid will be having to work two jobs to help pay for his college. And Oregon has always had some of the highest unemployment in the country, yet I never noticed firearms being cheaper here than anywhere else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top