JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I feel most firearm failures are...

• Total voters
Reactions
Do you think most firearms failures are gun, operator, or ammo related? I have found that about 90% (just estimating) of all gun failure I have seen are not actually the fault of the gun but more often the fault of the ammo or operator. Ammo is usually the cause but in second place would be operator error. I have seen very few cases where the firearm is the actual issue. I have seen so many people bring a gun into the dealer wanting it sent back for one reason or another where I have stood there and thought to myself..."that is an ammo issue" or "that is because you do not know how to operate, or are incapable of operating, the firearm."

I think cheap ammo and improperly self-loaded ammo is the biggest gun failure cause.

There are of course gun failures. I had a new Colt 1911 seize up completely the first day it was taken to the range. It was a complete lemon. Usually though the fault is either mine or the cheap ammo I am shooting. I also think most gun failures that are do to manufacturing defects are usually minor parts.

I've rarely seen ammo as the issue. Military ammo was consistent, and so far factory ammo has been consistent and my reloads - haven't fired enough to have one fail yet.

Weapon design has been more of an issue for me personally than actual quality of the weapon - the L85A1 being the primary example of that for me.

Operator error - I see people limp wristing the rental Glocks at the range which most often causes the FTE/stovepipe. General weapons handling of most civilian trained gun owners I know is sloppy and seems to be the biggest cause for most problems.

I have found that about 90% (just estimating) of all gun failure I have seen are not actually the fault of the gun but more often the fault of the ammo or operator.

What type of firearm are you talking about: Semi-auto pistol or rifle, lever action rifle, bolt action, revolver, etc.?

Bruce

All...everything from stove pipes in semi-autos to catastrophic frame failures in revolvers.

There's a difference in all weapons types - no one thing is the cause of firearm failure across the board.
e.g. Semi auto handguns fail more often for different reasons than a single shot break barrel shotgun.

I would say all of the above.

I'd say that ammo is probably the most common though.

Most jams I have seen were caused by the gun. I was firing a .22, and a round got stuck between chamber and magazine.

And a 1911. Could of been ammo and gun combo.. But the slide stop was too bulky, and the slide would literally just get stuck in the middle when you pulled it back, you had to hit it to go forward. Then a Colt factory slide stop was put on it, very smooth now.

The one time I had an AR-15 problem, I was younger, that was operator error. The bolt was locked open, when I reloaded it.. I didn't know I had to hit the release on the side. I pulled the charging handle back instead..

Never seen a problem with my AK though, so I have no doubt if there ever is a problem it'll be ammo related.

I'd bet that a lot of people don't really know what the cause was in the first place. I probably often don't. I expect some guns to cycle the cheapest junk that I put in them. Some other guns I don't. Is that reasonable? How would I know for sure?

100% situational...

I've had some used guns that just needed some MINOR gun smithing on my part to be a reliable gun.

I have a couple guns also in a pile that need a REAL gunsmith to worth the kinks out of them.

Reloads aside I think most factory ammo is mostly reliable.

There are tons of idiots with no idea how to operate a circular saw much less a firearm floating around.

Pistols: #1: limp wrist / operator #2 Bad magazine loading (operator) #3 Bad Ammo Never had a pistol fail.
Rifles: #1 Operator (loading improperly, forcing bolt home when it doesn't want to go, bad magazine loading) #2 Ammo (bad reloads) #3 Gun (I've had 1 AR trigger break, 1 bolt catch fail, 1 extractor seize up)
Shotgun: never had a failure of any kind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top