JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I've been reflecting on marriage after reading the jokes thread and now I'm wondering if I've been bad. My fault lies in that I often buy expensive things and lie to my wife about the price when she asks. I once bought a camera for $2000 and told her it was $800. Does this make me a bad person? Does anyone else do this too?

So, I've been reflecting on marriage after reading the jokes thread and now I'm wondering if I've been bad. My fault lies in that I often buy expensive things and lie to my wife about the price when she asks. I once bought a camera for $2000 and told her it was $800. Does this make me a bad person?

No it makes you sac less

I'm sure I wear the pants and I'm 100% sure I bring home the bacon, so as long as kids are fed and both kids and wife are happy ..... my funding is MY funding...... just don't tell my wife I said that

image.jpg Oh hellz yea I've done that!:oops:

The old lady knows it too... She would rather be oblivious and just trusts me to bring home some bacon to contribute to my play things.

In fact she sent me that pic a dew weeks ago.

Works for us; I dont want to know how much those nails and a$$ cost me ;):D:p:cool:

My exWife and I had separate bank accounts and were secretive about what we bought. Got to the point where no one gave a bubblegum one way or another. Secrets are a wedge in a relationship, and we had quite a few...and that is why we are no longer married.

My new wife and I have no secrets and don't ride each other about anything. Honesty works IMHO.

Last Edited:
Life is too short to lie and sneak around. It's kinda weasely.

Either you can afford to purchase things or not. If you can't, she should be pissed and you shouldn't be purchasing them. If you can afford it and she still rides you for purchasing things after funding retirement/savings etc, find a new one. Like I said, life is too short.

I dont lie, If she asks I'll tell her. However if she does not see it come in the door its unlikely she will ask.

She might ask "Is that new?" To which a reply of "Nope, Ive had it for a while" is completely honest.

A week is "a while"

She would have a freak fit if she knew how many dollars are tide up in guns and ammo. Its a pretty big number. I am sure its more than what my first house cost (but i bought my first house close to 30 years ago-in Idaho. A nice new F250 costs more than my first house did)

:D

Wife came home one time unexpectedly and I was taking a photo
of my AR rifles. She gasped you have more than one of those?
What she doesn't know won't her her. You don't "spend " money
on firearm you "invest". LOL

Nope. She knows.

We have no secrets in our relationship. Almost 12 years and have been through everything that ruins marriages. Not much more could be done with the exception of the death of a child. With that said our policy is open and honest relationship, no secrets.

Besides, I'm the stay at home dad (Domestic Engineer) and she is the nurse. I have no income and it doesn't bother me one bit.

A couple years ago we ran on hard times and I ended up getting rid of everything in the safe that wasn't and heirloom. Ever since then she hasn't questioned a purchase because she knows that in a tight spot (before she was a nurse on those wages) I wouldn't hesitate to sell the collection to keep us afloat. I always bought low, sold middle/high on everything so making the money from it wasn't a problem, even if it was breaking even to pay the rents..

I've been married for 38 years (yes, to the same woman).
Neither one of us is naïve enough to really think Mister Poofy charges her $15 for a cut/touch-up (and now a bit of grey cover-up), or that Mr. Beretta would sell me a gun for $249.95... She can (and will) check the internet as easy as you can...and whether you know it or not she'll keep score. Let's face it, you probably didn't marry her because she was stupid.

A little one eye open, one eye shut will keep the home happy once you get the requisite years together under your belt and know the limits...but never, ever for the big things. With enough in the bank and a history of not making exorbitant purchases you will earn the right to tacit approval to spend without question, but it's earned over time, kinda like finishing each other's sentences, knowing glances and speaking without talking, and remembering if she wants the seat AND lid down or just the seat.

If you're at the edge of the tacit spending envelope a "little white hedging" is ok, like maybe rounding down a bit and drop fees and taxes...you do little "lies" frequently as it is...that's why she has never bought a pair of slacks that made her butt look big, and you never have a second (ok, third) apple fritter when you meet the guys for coffee. You also both believe each other when one of you needs to roll down the car windows because the dog farted (dog required though).

So, if cash is tight, or you're both saving for a big thing like a down payment, Gramma's boob job, or to fix the AC in her car...that's a big thing, don't buy if you need permission...don't lie to get it...

Oddly enough,
you CAN lie about how much you paid for those anniversary earrings.:confused:

I dont lie, If she asks I'll tell her. However if she does not see it come in the door its unlikely she will ask.

She might ask "Is that new?" To which a reply of "Nope, Ive had it for a while" is completely honest.

A week is "a while"

She would have a freak fit if she knew how many dollars are tide up in guns and ammo. Its a pretty big number. I am sure its more than what my first house cost (but i bought my first house close to 30 years ago-in Idaho. A nice new F250 costs more than my first house did)

:D
Heck women do this all the time.
'Is that a new dress?'
'No I've had it a while' So is that months or hours?
I don't trust any of them so I don't keep a woman around.
If it Flies Fornicates or Floats it's cheaper to rent it
Just saying

My wife put a $50 limit on gifts I buy her.

The gift that resulted in the $50 limit was a little silver bobble I bought at a knife show. hand made, raised out of silver and copper. Beautiful little pendent kind of thing. I gave it too her and all was good for a few days and then I saw she had put it on her key chain. I said "maybe that is not the right place for that, its gonna get wrecked on your key chain" She said "Why, was it expensive?" Which like I said, she asks I'll be honest. I had paid $300 for it, which considering what it was I dont think was excessive. She flipped out,

"YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR THIS!!!!!!!!" "That's it! From now on you cant spend more than $50 on a gift for me!!"

Ok, hunny, ok....

:D:D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews