JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That type of foam used in the cases, that you've shown in your pictures, will start to break down over time. Usually will start to flake apart. But, if you have any oils on your firearms (after cleaning you give them a light oil) the oil will seep into the foam and over time the foam will turn into a sticky gooey mess that will start to eat your metal.

*MANY Auto Mag's that were stored in their original cases with that type of foam have been pitted horribly bad. And they are made out of stainless.

I just found this picture.... zoom in and notice the pitting all over the right side.... :eek:

View attachment 846995

That's the kind of offense that can drive someone to carry out a...."Deathwish".

;):s0108:

Leaving them in a case is a great way to meet fellow NWFA members, like @Velzey . Fortunately he was able to restore it to its previous glory. Better to store them oiled and in a dry safe where moisture can't sit or accumlate

20200331_151651.jpg

That type of foam used in the cases, that you've shown in your pictures, will start to break down over time. Usually will start to flake apart. But, if you have any oils on your firearms (after cleaning you give them a light oil) the oil will seep into the foam and over time the foam will turn into a sticky gooey mess that will start to eat your metal.

*MANY Auto Mag's that were stored in their original cases with that type of foam have been pitted horribly bad. And they are made out of stainless.

I just found this picture.... zoom in and notice the pitting all over the right side.... :eek:

View attachment 846995

That's the kind of offense that can drive someone to carry out a...."Deathwish".

;):s0108:

Charles Bronson.... the movie "Death Wish".... he uses a .44 Automag.... get it? ;)

The thing I would add to this conversation is that for firearms stored in lock boxes or cache containers (I have several), along with desiccant packs I also throw in a VCI strip (Vapor/Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor).

A long time ago an old-timer gave me the tip on using VCIs in conjunction with desiccants I've used them both since then, with excellent results.

There's plenty of information about VCIs on the web.

For more detail, here's a link to a generic article about VCIs and desiccants on the Zerust website (they retail VCI products).

In general, I follow the protocol that most have already mentioned: no storage in cases or closed-up rugs, lots of air flow, desiccant protection that is regularly renewed/changed, etc.

Throw some desiccant packs in with them and make sure you change them regularly.

Spend the extra dollar to get the ones that come in a metal tin and change color when saturated.

When the color changes, bake them at low temp back to dry and toss back into the safe/ammo can/whatever.

I leave them in the original box/ case if I have them or if they are regularly used. For long storage, I learned a cheap trick from an old timer - buy or find cotton rags and spray gun oil on it, wipe the gun and then use the rag to wrap the gun and leave it in the case. For rifles I use gun socks if in safe or wrap them in brown wrapping/ packing paper lightly sprayed with oil. Works for me. Also, I use desiccants, too.

All my firearms are in a safe, except my EDC. Long guns stored in silcone impregnated socks, handguns on open shelf. And, of course, they are cleaned and wiped down before going into the safe.

Denny Hannel, formerly of Sublimity, a master gun collector, told me NEVER to put guns in sealed cases. Gun sox only. His learned opinion should be considered Gospel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top