JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find myself doing a bit of both, depending on where I am shooting as well as what the people who pull up look like. I usually wear a plate carrier with plates when I am in the woods. It provides easy access to magazines for working that skill set as well as in the off chance that I have an altercation it provedes a level of protection. also the side benifit is that most people see a guy with a loaded up plate carrier and pistol strapped to him hip and move on.

The flip side to this is a while back I was up shooting in the woods and had a guy drive by, turn around and come back. I immediatly went on allert, loaded a fresh magazine in the AR and turned to face him as he got out of his truck. not pointing it or covering him with it but keeping it at the low ready. He looked at me and smiled and says "hey I saw your 3% sticker on your truck! Looks just like the one on mine!" long story short we ended up having a great conversation and sharing the shooting area as well as a beer later after the shooting was done.

You can meet great people out there but I will always lean towards caution.
Get you a good pair of electronic ear muffs. I can hear everything pretty much super human hearing minus the gunshots.

I find myself mostly siding with the original poster here. I definitely prefer to shoot only with my own group. You just can't be certain of another's intentions. I always carry a loaded and in battery sidearm on me whilst up in the woods, and generally will have a slung ar as well. I'd rather be over cautious than bleeding in the middle of nowhere, stripped of my weapons.

That being said I will share a spot with a group if I feel comfortable enough in their safety and abilities; never becoming to complacent of my surroundings though. If another group arrives by vehicle I will keep a rifle at low ready or at least a hand at ready to draw my sidearm; usually this will either thwart less serious passers-by or initiate a introduction and conversation to further assess the situation. I can't speak for others but I'd rather not be joined by another group of "wild" shooters. I have had experiences where there was no respect for eyes and ears or the firing line. Random blasting and unannounced trips down range result in mistakes and accidents, which I want no part in. That's just my two cents though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top