JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SORT of a pointless question.. but i had the thought run through my mind last night as i ran.. my newest neighborhood route takes me up and down some pretty good hills, and i definitely "run" up them, then slow down to almost a "jog" coming down- its been my experience that running down hill just stresses the tendons in the lower leg too much.. but so as to not enter the realm of "jog," as i define it, i make sure to keep my feet up and stay at a slow run.

anyway... i've heard a number of definitions for both... speed, stride length, how much heal you land on, etc...

personally, i define "jogging" as a fast walk with a hop- but you never leave the ground entirely, always with at least one foot continually touching the earth. "running" picks up both feet, so that you're in freefall for a fraction of a second every stride. speed has nothing to do with it- for i can easily accomplish a "run" thats significantly slower than probably most people's "jog," and likewise, i could probably accomplish a "jog" that's faster than a lot of people's slow "run."

agree or disagree with my assessment?

as to what difference it makes- i said "sort of pointless," above, however there is obviously a pretty significant difference between the two actions... i'd say a bonafide "run" burns a lot more cals than a fast jog, as you're pushing yourself up off the earth with every stride. likewise, the impact on joints must be significantly different- with a jog, as i define it, there's no crash back down onto a singular leg to absorb all that energy.

as to which you should do- i make absolutely no guess. gonna be different for everyone... so this thread isn't really to debate the merits of either, just to differentiate and discuss.

Heck no. Only reason I'd run is if someone was chasing me or I had to chase someone else.

I figure first time I see a Jogger/Runner with a happy look on their face I'll consider it, But all I ever see are people that look like they are in pain.

Running was always a punishment, so I don't do it. I know I need to start up. In the game we're in, you have to stay in shape. My climbing buddy runs, is half my age, and works (contractor) hard physical labor all day. Then he does MMA or trapeze here or there for fun in addition to climbing. He's bad assed. Trying to keep up can be wearing. We just got back form Red rocks and one memorable day those 2 nuts went and drank and partied till 2am while I was fast asleep at 6pm and slept all night.

I like to slap 30-40 lbs in a pack and go for a walk someplace nice. I try to get in at least a mile or so in @ 15 min up and down hill. Probably do it tonight up Balch Creek in Forest Park with a headlamp. Love that trail. Take the pup. Good times, it's getting dark and I'm at work. We'll see If I still have the motivation when I get home. When my wife does this with me, she is running. She's getting faster than I can walk now, but it took her a long time to build up that speed. I walk, she runs. I hate to run and she hates cross country trail hiking. I've taken her out to 2 secret locations (last Sunday was the 2nd one) and she's complained both times.

Let see.. kick off the shoes and drink some wine and read a good book...or...walk in the cold and dark....hmmmm. Maybe won't be doing it tonight:)

I'm 49 years young and run a 3.4 mile trail 3 times a week. I run at a 10 to 12 minute mile pace. It really makes a difference on how I feel. Now if I just stopped drinking beer I might lose some weight!

Jogging = 1978, Richard Simmons wrist and head sweatbands, knee high socks and shorts with a slit up the side to show your half moon.

Running = Tech wear, competitive....you run a race be it a 5k or full marathon. Running is training.

Some people run from things ( how many times have you heard, "Why would you run, was something chasing you?).... others run AFTER them.

Just my thoughts....

It has been said before but I feel it necessary to say it again, "Open carry could have prevented this". Ha-ha
Back in the 70's didn't "streakers" run with just a smile?
Mike

I jog. It's not nearly fast enough to be considered "running". It's only 4.5 mph pace, but I'm pretty short (5'2"). Trying to get faster, but I've got to get my distance back up to 3-4 miles first. Right now I'm jogging 1 mile and brisk walk/jog the rest. Just committed to the Missoula 1/2 marathon next summer though with my kids.

To me you're either running or walking. If you always have at least 1 foot on the ground at a time then you're walking. I consider the term "jogging" as just a more informal term for running.

Heck no. Only reason I'd run is if someone was chasing me or I had to chase someone else.

I figure first time I see a Jogger/Runner with a happy look on their face I'll consider it, But all I ever see are people that look like they are in pain.

I guess it depends on who you are running behind or with.

Motivation to run = smoking hot college girl or minivan momma wearing the smallest tightest spandex running shorts known to man.:p

Especially for us older guys with knees not exactly what they once were, I find developing speedwalking vital. You'll be amazed at the actual locomotive velocity you can attain over time, without pounding your joints. In addition, one can carry a heavy pack farther with less rest and soreness which might slow you down on day two and three. With way less "up and down" movement in the motion, one can also fire a carried carbine on the quick fly more accurately, while maintaining movement.
SORT of a pointless question.. but i had the thought run through my mind last night as i ran.. my newest neighborhood route takes me up and down some pretty good hills, and i definitely "run" up them, then slow down to almost a "jog" coming down- its been my experience that running down hill just stresses the tendons in the lower leg too much.. but so as to not enter the realm of "jog," as i define it, i make sure to keep my feet up and stay at a slow run.

anyway... i've heard a number of definitions for both... speed, stride length, how much heal you land on, etc...

personally, i define "jogging" as a fast walk with a hop- but you never leave the ground entirely, always with at least one foot continually touching the earth. "running" picks up both feet, so that you're in freefall for a fraction of a second every stride. speed has nothing to do with it- for i can easily accomplish a "run" thats significantly slower than probably most people's "jog," and likewise, i could probably accomplish a "jog" that's faster than a lot of people's slow "run."

agree or disagree with my assessment?

as to what difference it makes- i said "sort of pointless," above, however there is obviously a pretty significant difference between the two actions... i'd say a bonafide "run" burns a lot more cals than a fast jog, as you're pushing yourself up off the earth with every stride. likewise, the impact on joints must be significantly different- with a jog, as i define it, there's no crash back down onto a singular leg to absorb all that energy.

as to which you should do- i make absolutely no guess. gonna be different for everyone... so this thread isn't really to debate the merits of either, just to differentiate and discuss.

Better to walk, sprint occasionally during the walk, but walk as if you are looking for something. Duck walk for a few yards, squat or stoop like you're ducking under a fallen tree, but walking is best and nothing that raises your target heart rate above 70% of maximum. A nice 2 hour stroll three times a week is adequate.

My husband and I run together.

The difference between a run and a walk is how you step; it's pretty obvious when you try it. You can run slower than you walk and still be running.

There is no difference between a run and a jog. This author explores the topic pretty well; they're the same physical act but intent could be different. The jog you describe sounds like speed walking (AKA race walking at a competitive level).

It is my experience that people who insist vehemently that running is not jogging are typically elitists.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top