JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I get to the point where I have most everything I want and have extra $ looking for something to buy, then maybe I will buy some knives that cost much more than $100 - but for now, I can still get a decent knife I like for under $50

I'm 62 & it hasn't happened so I dought it will. I can buy guns for that! Just bought 3 12ga mag fed 12ga for $150ea new from KyGunCo, no tax, no shipping.

IMHO, there are a number of sub-$100 knives very much up to task for field work. My current main field carry, camp and dressing knives were all had for $50 or less and have served me extremely well. Growing up was always my trusty buck 119 and 1030 skinner.

The skinner though was later replaced by an old timer sharpfinger.. which I have multiples of and have used over the past 3 decades or so to this day. I've also given more than a few as gifts to each of my children as one of those "must have" blades in any hunters arsenal for gutting and field dressing.

General camp knives I've swapped out my buck for a Gerber strongarm and a Mora bushcraft. They are simply more capable for my needs than my old buck (which I'll still never give up) and each was had for well under $50.

That said... where I "have" dropped more bones is in my meat cutters. I process my own and having higher quality, job specific, steel certainly makes a big job go much quicker and cleaner. None of which would be at all suitable as field carry "camp/hunt" knives though and only see daylight a few times a year for larger meat processing.

I do have a couple more expensive "field" blades, however, they're more just "purdy" and more for show than anything I would actually bang around in the field with. They may be "slightly" more capable (theoretically) than my sub-$50 blades, but the ones I have meet every task before them with ease and it doesn't break my heart to bang them around or fear for their loss.

In the end... it really just depends on what job you want your blade to fill that will determine what is really the "best" knife... for "you".

Last Edited:
Wasted is subjective. You've spent considerably more on firearms you don't shoot and cars you don't drive anymore, right? Heck, other than my house, the most expensive thing I've ever purchased was my Barrett. It's not even close. And I don't think I "wasted" a penny on it because it took me a good 10 years to get to the point I could blow that kind of money and not think twice. Similarly, a good knife probably gets used much, much more than any firearm so the "price per use" is quite cheap. Just doesn't feel like it sometimes
Nope, I shoot every one of the guns that I have, drive every one of the cars that I have. Im not spending over $100 on a knife, they are not my cup of tea so I have more money for the important things like fishing gear and range trips.

First blade was an old dutch saber, first pocket knife was a benchmade mini crooked river custom with s90v. Why? I use it everyday, as a pirate.

250.00 on my Toor Anaconda that I EDC daily is the most I personally have spent. Although I have friends who buy knives in the 2-3k range. They don't get purchased to be used though. More of an investment in the knife community.

Nope, I shoot every one of the guns that I have, drive every one of the cars that I have. Im not spending over $100 on a knife, they are not my cup of tea so I have more money for the important things like fishing gear and range trips.
Meh. To each their own. Isn't freedom great?

I have never paid over $100 for any knife. That said I have a few that if they were bought new today would be way over that!
One of my sons got me a Benchmade Nimravus, I asked at the time whats with the Stupid Butterfly? He just laughed! When I looked at what they cost, I was shocked, But it has been a great knife. I know he did not pay over $100 for it either! Now they are over $200! DR

2-n-change if memory serves

Damascus Steel Bowie Hunting Knife_06.JPG

Ok

Up a notch , who's dropping a grand on a knife ? . I have not gone past 300 and change for a knife...yet. I can see 5 or 600 happening before too long.
Depends on the knife. Dropped north of $1k on a made to order katana and iaito back when I was pretending to be the last samurai.

Pocket knife? A Zero Tolerance 0462 is the most expensive I own.

Depends on the knife. Dropped north of $1k on a made to order katana and iaito back when I was pretending to be the last samurai.

Pocket knife? A Zero Tolerance 0462 is the most expensive I own.
A grand for a legit, handmade sword seems about right.
I'm sure I could eventually convince myself to buy a thousand dollar knife.

After the kids are done with college.

I don't recall how much I paid for it back in 1968 but it seemed like a lot then. Picked up a Buck 119 Special before I went to Basic. Carried it with me in SE Asia. Today it is tucked safely inside my wife's GHB. I have a K Bar in mine. Maybe its time to switch them out?
No.

Keep them and use them.

They are great knives!

I have 2 BUCK 119 Special (Made in Idaho.) knifes and a couple of Ka-Bar (Made in New York.) knives too.

Plus some others too.

Cate

My husband has spent more than $100. EACH for some special knives. Custom made or factory made.

This is over many, many years too.

One man started a company in MT many years ago and his company is really well known. He is dead now.
My husband gifted a really special and EXPENSIVE knife to a close friend who was ILL and he moved to Oregon (?) years ago. I forgot where in Oregon now. Anyway, he sold another knife and still has one of them. OLD knives made by Rudy R. are sought after due to their quality. Newer ones are too. But we do not have any newer ones unless my husband wants to get one.

THIS is the company's name:

They made/make the famous SMOKE JUMPER KNIFE.

I have spent close to $100. but some of mine were on SALE or gifted to me. Some were listed HIGHER than $100. retail in some places too. My NY Ka-Bar knives were listed higher but were on sale. Same with some of my Buck knives.

I may take up my husband's offer of some other fixed blade knives too. Some of the ones that I picked out the handles for several years ago. Custom made ones.

Plus we have gifted (Sold only a few but gifted much more.) some really, really NICE knives over the years when we downsized.

I believe that a GOOD QUALITY, name brand or custom made knife, axe or 'hawk is worth it's weight in GOLD in many, many cases. It depends on the individual too!

I would NOT be without a good FIXED blade knife (Or a couple of them.) but I could be without a firearm. It depends on where I am going and especially since I no longer own, shoot or carry a handgun.

I would still want a rifle on me in very specific areas - off the beaten path - remote where we usually go, while traveling and for home defense.

I think that a good quality knife, axe or 'hawk could easily cost $100. or more depending on what you WANT in your specific TOOL.

My knives were bought in stores and handled by me BEFORE I bought them, especially within the LAST 10 years or so, shy of a couple of gifts from my late husband and my MT husband. The ones that I handled were in glass cases and I chose the NIB ones that were stored in boxes, not handled and NOT in glass cases. Some other ones were in SEALED CLOSED packages.

My Ka-Bar military knives are running over $100. now. I just looked at a couple of websites. The Buck knives have increased too.

My husband knows some good knife makers and one of them is an older man that he walks with on a regular basis. Expensive! He has a waiting list and every knife is custom made and VERY detailed. We have not bought a knife from him.

Cate
PS: My husband's old RUANA knives had ELK handles on them. My husband used to collect some elk horns and take them to Rudy a LONG, long time ago. A few years ago, my husband stopped in to see the old store/shop and he spoke to one or two of R's sons (?) or family members.

Last Edited:
The only time I've paid that much for a knife was when I bought my Benchmade (on the left). It was just a shade north of $100. I believe I paid just a little less for the one I gave to my wife.
Benchmade.jpg

If they have their way our knives will be taken away as well; insert politician here "there is a knife violence epidemic, we must not let the public have them lest they kill each other randomly.)

FWIW If you find yourself in North Idaho this week.
Always see a good selection of one off and custom knifes at the Buck factory sale in Post Falls, ID.

_nc_ohc=bxBXe_jjHrsAX8dBMGJ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
So... Will I likely spend over $100. on a knife this week? :s0091:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top