JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't normally carry a knife. But I use them quite a bit. Mostly cheaper folding knives. For work around the property. Like an old Boy Scout knife, or an old US Army TL-29. I have one belt knife that sees some utility use, an "Arkansas Toothpick" bone handle, made in occupied Germany for sale to US GI's. I have some better knives that I keep just because. An Old Timer by Schrade and a Buck folding knife in a leather sheath. Both came to me from a deceased US Air Force officer. The Buck belt knife that I bought in the PX, I never used and sold years ago.

Most of my knives came to me for free. Inherited, like about 10 or so from one of my grandfathers. Including an Imperial folding knife that I carried in my pocket when I was 10-12 years old. One time, I dropped it in the surf on the beach, thought it was gone for sure, reached down and there it was. I still have all of those knives.

The Arkansas Toothpick was given to me by a naval officer, a neighbor when I was a teenager. He was moving to Texas and didn't want to take everything. He gave me the knife, which at the time was in a USN survival knife scabbard. Also a wheelbarrow, and a humongous pair of binoculars that came off a Japanese warship from WW2. I mean big, these things had been pedestal mounted, weighed a lot and were about 2-1/2 feet long. I took them down a a swap shop and traded them in for a Russian 50mm WW2 mortar.

I have a couple of US Army bayonets to go with rifles but they are just for collector purposes. I never expect to use them.

What was the first "big money" knife you purchased?
Mine was a Buck knife in a folding cover leather sheath for about $19.99 when I was about 12 years old and I still have it.

Since then I have had given to me or found a lot of older Case, Shrade & a few others.

I have a hard time with some of the most expensive knives being these Skeletonized folders. Having held some I cannot believe they cost as much as they do.

I have seen some $29.95 folders that were tighter and better finished than some of the incredibly high priced ones.

On the 'memorable' side I was given this Case 'Shark Tooth' folder long ago by a one time girl friend and although we never 'progressed' we remained long time friends. Sadly she passed away a couple years ago......

IMG_2660[1].JPG

IMG_2660[1].JPG

Last Edited:
Just saying its probably really smart to buy knives as with today's inflation the prices are climbing. Buy good stuff and not Chinese in my opinion. Its money in a bank.

I laugh when I see the ridiculous disparity of documented inflation compared to the actual purchasing power of the USD . Well into the early 2000s you could find beater work cars for 2 or 300 dollars. 5 years ago the same cars were stuck at $1200 average, and at the moment I'd bet it's more like 1500.
I know I'm not an MBA or CPA , but I ain't blonde (oops , blind).

Median home value, USA, 1960

Just under 12k. It's around 400k today
Government loves inflation, taxes can be raised a whole bunch when a houses value goes from 12 k to 400k. :s0093:

Kershaw Leak on a vacation back to the Oregon Coast in 2006 or so when we lived in Nevada. Bought at a local shop in Florence. Carried it and used it forever. I still have it, it's been sharpened a lot and the blade is shorter now as I have broken the tip off a few times and had one sharpened back on. The assisted part doesn't work anymore. I keep it as a memory of the first couple of trips my wife and I took together to Oregon, inevitably helping us decide that this would become our home.

Edit: pictures added. Just realized it's also missing a screw!

View attachment 905218 View attachment 905219
Leave it. Most of us here have a screw loose. It adds to our charm. :D

When I was a youngster, you could buy a hamburger, fries and shake for 49 cents. Real food with real ice cream. :D :s0093:
uudW2ne.jpg

Fixed Blade I only have one a Cold Steel San Mai III Recon Tanto. Folder a Zero Tolerance 350. Both just clipped $100

Last Edited:
I bought this CRKT Folding Razel for under twenty bucks on ebay about two years ago. Now they run from $90-200. Crazy times. Many of my knives now I couldn't buy for less than several hundred each. My Buckmaster 184 and Gerber BMF's were all acquired under a hundred bucks. I didn't buy them to appreciate, things just went that way. These days I'd be reluctant to buy an expensive knife. I would just lose it within a week. If it was really expensive I would be hesitant to use it.

IMG_20210613_171622.jpg

You're as cold blooded as that frozen stouffers family size.
LOL, it was home made. His wife is awesome.

TFB, at the time he was high on painkillers from a surgery he had just had. He doesn't even drink much, so I guess it hit him pretty hard. The way he tells the story, he was so out of it that he wasn't sure what to do about the cut. Wife apparently found him wandering around the front yard in a bathrobe still holding the lasagna pan. One of the neighbors called her. :s0140:

I don't recall how much I paid for it back in 1968 but it seemed like a lot then. Picked up a Buck 119 Special before I went to Basic. Carried it with me in SE Asia. Today it is tucked safely inside my wife's GHB. I have a K Bar in mine. Maybe its time to switch them out?

Nope, I still haven't wasted that much $$$ on one knife...:s0109:
Wasted is subjective. You've spent considerably more on firearms you don't shoot and cars you don't drive anymore, right? Heck, other than my house, the most expensive thing I've ever purchased was my Barrett. It's not even close. And I don't think I "wasted" a penny on it because it took me a good 10 years to get to the point I could blow that kind of money and not think twice. Similarly, a good knife probably gets used much, much more than any firearm so the "price per use" is quite cheap. Just doesn't feel like it sometimes

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top