JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not a huge knife collector and the prices on some leave me a little shocked, not saying they're not good or the market isn't at that point. I've just gotten by with my Old Timer Sharpfingerls and a couple pocket knives and never needed more.

Lately I have been looking for a self defense knife and the importance of that over cutting boxes or skinning nutria makes me more invested in spending money.

That in mind. What was the first "big money" knife you purchased? Did you use it/flip it/ still have it?

The first "big money" knife I bought is my BlackJack Model 5.
It wasn't $100 , back when I bought at least ...but it is priceless to me.

I carried it in the field and on every combat deployment I had in while in the Army.
It still gets used today as a hunting and camping knife.
Andy

Kershaw Leak on a vacation back to the Oregon Coast in 2006 or so when we lived in Nevada. Bought at a local shop in Florence. Carried it and used it forever. I still have it, it's been sharpened a lot and the blade is shorter now as I have broken the tip off a few times and had one sharpened back on. The assisted part doesn't work anymore. I keep it as a memory of the first couple of trips my wife and I took together to Oregon, inevitably helping us decide that this would become our home.

Edit: pictures added. Just realized it's also missing a screw!

BBD05807-934E-49A4-9110-D93AA91DB640.jpeg 985220D9-B4F1-4CC3-9853-F26D340EEED4.jpeg

I love knives, but I've never paid $100 or more for one. My spiderco Manix 2 was around $85 or so when I bought it. Now, I have made plenty of knives that have sold for well over $100.

First knife was bought from bimart many years ago, Old timer folder with a leather belt case. Think they were $12 on a Christmas sale. Still have it.

Big money, I think a Cold Steel trail master bowie with stag grips, sold it.

I have some knives worth 3+-times a hundred dollars. That said, I've not paid a hundred dollars for any of them. Seemed always, somebody needed money and offered them cheap, or I bought them at an otherwise bargain price, not even knowing the value I was getting.

An example, I bought a Blackjack #1-7 for $75. I didn't question the product or the price at the time, but sometime later I discovered the value hovers around $300. It's a gorgeous knife, but if the price had been $300, I wouldn't have bought it.
GEDC0226-zps93dc49a9.jpg

Wait just a minute! My memory bank just kicked in! I bought a Gerber Coffin Handle Bowie, and paid $165.:eek:
575ebd4c-0f26-4555-845d-d12c90de56e6_zpsufvybpbd.jpg

Last Edited:
I've bought several benchmade knives over the years. Quite sure they were all well north of $100 but I don't remember specifically. I buy them because I like the locking system and I knowingly pay a premium to get it. I certainly get my use out of them and am ok with the price though sometimes it feels steep

Pre 1999 or post. Lol

The first time I spent a days wages on 1 knife was a Ka bar. This was $65. Next was the 1st gen cold steel large Voyager tanto , plain edge. Around $80 ??

In other words, an $65 fixed blade I bought in 1994 is now priced at $100 current retail. And , the sheath was nicer leather back then too.

Inflation , compounded by the overall lower quality of certain materials.

To put it a different way, spending $60 /$80 in the 90s meant more than spending 2 or 3 hundred today. Just one man's personal experience.
:s0093: This will help your story out some, an inflation chart.:D

:s0093: This will help your story out some, an inflation chart.:D

I laugh when I see the ridiculous disparity of documented inflation compared to the actual purchasing power of the USD . Well into the early 2000s you could find beater work cars for 2 or 300 dollars. 5 years ago the same cars were stuck at $1200 average, and at the moment I'd bet it's more like 1500.
I know I'm not an MBA or CPA , but I ain't blonde (oops , blind).

Median home value, USA, 1960

Just under 12k. It's around 400k today

Last Edited:
I laugh when I see the ridiculous disparity of documented inflation compared to the actual purchasing power of the USD . Well into the early 2000s you could find beater work cars for 2 or 300 dollars. 5 years ago the same cars were stuck at $1200 average, and at the moment I'd bet it's more like 1500.
I know I'm not an MBA or CPA , but I ain't blonde (oops , blind).
When I was a youngster, you could buy a hamburger, fries and shake for 49 cents. Real food with real ice cream. :D :s0093:

gasoline was 21 cents a gallon when I was a teenager. A 16 ounce coke was 15 cents and a big bag of Virginia peanuts was 15 cent....my lunch money :D

Just saying inflation has really hit the country hard or i would be buying more knives.:s0093:

gasoline was 21 cents a gallon when I was a teenager. A 16 ounce coke was 15 cents and a big bag of Virginia peanuts was 15 cent....my lunch money :D

Just saying inflation has really hit the country hard or i would be buying more knives.:s0093:
Inflation is hitting like a lead pipe to the kneecap.
I just wish policymakers would admit that

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top