JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reader be warned, this is a rant about people who decide to open new gun stores.

I live in a smaller town and was excited to find out a new dedicated shop was opening up in my town. So I took time out of my day, and dropped by the shop to check it out.

In a matter of minutes, the history repeated its self. Behind the sparsely decorated and outfitted shop sat a guy who basically thought he knew everything about firearms. He was opinionated, belittling and all around the exact opposite any salesman should be if they want to make a sale.

I've often times walked into new stores and had this behavior repeated, of course most of these shops are not long for the world, but it seems silly. You lay out the money for the lease, and all the overhead. Then you act like a dick to everyone who comes in the door. Then you wonder why you can't sale anything.

Whatever happened to customer service? Or trying to work with the customer to sale them something they need? Don't hand me some Remington 870 that any idiot could have 'made tactical' with a few cheap accessories. Don't dis my preferred choice in pistol because your choice is so much better. When I mention a well respected brand name of holster, don't say they are crap and offer me what is clearly a knock-off of the same thing.

Telling me you have 17 years of experience, yet not actually having any examples of said experience falls flat quickly.

If this had been the first time I had seen this in a shop, I would be a little different minded. But so many times I see this. I admit that a lot of established gun shops aren't great on customer service, but they have a wide selection of product. And a historical reputation to stand upon. These new shop owners seem to have $$ in their eyes and think they will make money fast with crap service.

OK, rant over. And I'm doing one kindness and not naming the shop. They will drive themselves out of business on their own. I don't have to help them any more.

Something I like seeing a new LGS: Community favorite guns: A highpoint 995, mosin nagants, SKSs, etc. Having favorites shows me you know more about the "scene" than just generic glock+ar-15 stuff.

In fact, simply having a crate of Mosins with several crates of ammo puts you in my good graces.

The other thing, having "new shooter packages" is a big plus. The only way the community is going to survive is getting new people into the various aspects of the hobby. Making it more approachable is a huge boon.

Something I like seeing a new LGS: Community favorite guns: A highpoint 995, mosin nagants, SKSs, etc. Having favorites shows me you know more about the "scene" than just generic glock+ar-15 stuff.

In fact, simply having a crate of Mosins with several crates of ammo puts you in my good graces.

The other thing, having "new shooter packages" is a big plus. The only way the community is going to survive is getting new people into the various aspects of the hobby. Making it more approachable is a huge boon.

And when they are just totally generic glock + AR-15 stuff and jerks, well they aren't long for business life. Which is what this shop was basically.

Agreed,
I had started to tell this guy about my AK that I just got and he immediately said "why?"

As in why would anyone want an AK?

Basically called me an idiot for liking more than one type of firearm. That's not gonna make you any friends, bub.

best shop I was ever in had rows of mausers, G.I. carbines, springfields, tons of C&R stuff. That was in the mid 90's, last I checked they were still going strong, in Orange County CA, now that's an accomplishment.

The new local Gunsmith was very much like you describe. I had such great hope for the shop until I figured out the only thing he knew anything about were Black guns.

I have to go to The Gun Room to find out. We will see how it goes. Always funny to watch people race to the bottom.

Tell him that you heard poly guns were a much better option than the old heavy metal ones. Then prepare to see a photo album of all the damage done to human bodies by the evil poly guns. You can also pick up a $50 box of Remmington fmj

Rant against poly guns, and prolly throw a bubblegumfit if I ask about an Uplala. Heh.

As a recent transplant from Alaska, I have a little bit to say about both: The North Slope police department uses glock 23s for a reason. Always going "bang" every time, even at 60 below is one of the reasons. The other is not giving officers frostbite if their bare skin touches the grip.

Likewise loading magazines at those temps without a loader is asking for frostbite as well.

Rant against poly guns, and prolly throw a bubblegumfit if I ask about an Uplala. Heh.

As a recent transplant from Alaska, I have a little bit to say about both: The North Slope police department uses glock 23s for a reason. Always going "bang" every time, even at 60 below is one of the reasons. The other is not giving officers frostbite if their bare skin touches the grip.

Likewise loading magazines at those temps without a loader is asking for frostbite as well.
Haven't they seen "A Christmas Story?" Never put your tongue on the barrel of a Red Ryder 500 shot BBgun!

I've run into this. You could have heard a pin drop the last time I dropped into that certain store on River Rd. Needed a case guage, they happened to have one, didn't want to go in, but I didn't want to wait a week for one off of Ebay. I hadn't even gotten to the counter when the guy said 'you don't need a case guage for a 45 acp, it's straight walled.'

As in the past I could have argued with them, and here I was cranking out thousands of rds a week...I just said 'You know I never see you at the range, so I know you don't shoot, you probably don't reload, so who are you to tell me, whether I need one or not?

The truth is, few guys actually shoot, rather they collect. If you are the real deal, they shut up and get really quiet when it's not just another wannabe collector they can bowl over. In the Eugene / Spfd area there are maybe ten guys are the real thing, most everyone else are owners.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top