JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
last time i went to the out door range mkgowan creek . I couldnt help myself. to the guys next to me,,
" hi there, if you dont mind, when you are showing your buddy there your handgun, could you please keep it pointed down range and not at me."

last time i went to the out door range mkgowan creek . I couldnt help myself. to the guys next to me,,
" hi there, if you dont mind, when you are showing your buddy there your handgun, could you please keep it pointed down range and not at me."

:s0001: I hope you reported this to the range operator.....and was there a safety observer on duty and if so why in H**L didn't they say something???

I only offer advice when it is for safety or obviously needed. But I am not afraid to start a conversation about what they are shooting. This usually leads to both parties learning something new. This also tends to lead show and tell and getting to shoot guns that I would have not been able to. Today I got to shoot a broom handle mauser!

rule of thumb advice guys - balance. just enough to chew on, but not the full course meal.

advice is tricky...I know nothing about guns or shooting so I would hope someone would give me pointers, but not so many pointers that it makes shooting not fun.

OK.... but if you can lay five shots in a 2 inch group in four seconds.....should you slow down???

Well the high center of chest is a lot wider than two inches, so speed up and put more than 5 shots in two seconds. A tight group doesnt save your life as many combat accurate hits on target the fastest YOU can get them does :)

I tend to think most people don't like taking advice when it comes to guns unless they really know they're novices. Anyone who thinks they know anything about guns (even kids, whose only gun experience is playing Call of Duty) already have a large set opinions and beliefs, and if their beliefs or competence with firearms is challenged, they may very easily take offense.

I can still remember when my father would tell me "Quit jerking the trigger." This would annoy me, but in hindsight, I know I was probably just slapping away at that trigger.

I agree with branchbuster. I usually start a conversation ,make a new friend , and usually, we both walk away with new knowleage.If someone comes over and stars up with " your doing that wrong" Ill tell them to get lost really fast. And never tell me my firearms are junk. Ive also have had this happen, and its not a good way to start a conversation.I payed for it and Im happy with it. A M1A is not a proper hunting rifle. This just stupid and I didnt buy it to hunt with anyway , dumba##.

Well the high center of chest is a lot wider than two inches, so speed up and put more than 5 shots in two seconds. A tight group doesnt save your life as many combat accurate hits on target the fastest YOU can get them does :)
Based on what real life experience? I, unfortunately, KNOW that two rounds of .45 ACP accurately delivered ends the threat.

LOL so everyone should train based around what "you know" how many times has 2 45 rounds not stopped a threat.

Didn't say anything near that. Just that accurately delivered rounds work. Don't claim super expertise, just some good training and practical application. But two in the pump and one below the nose will stop any human threat. I've seen one work. Perhaps you can elucidate the times you have seen more rounds required.

Point is, friendly conversations happen, and THAT is when advice is most welcome.

So it all comes down to the equation. How/when advice is presented, and the attitude (skin thickness) of the recipient. Beyond mere marksmanship, one's ability to evaluate personal interaction has more than a little to do with responsible gun ownership.

This is the key to when I give advice as well as when I will take advice, I consider myself an very competent shooter and firearm user, but there is always more to learn. I enjoy teaching the less informed, but only if they ask, or receive it well from how I am reading them.

I've been an instructor for 23 years, and when I see bad habits or frustration, I will offer one thing for them to work on...and give praise when they begin to do it right. Positive reinforcement. If they are interested and ask for more help I feel it's my privilege and obligation to go on from there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top